Microsoft Hints at Pre-Owned Fee For Xbox One Games

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
Am I just being too optimistic in thinking that maybe there will be an option to uninstall a game therein returning full DRM back to the disc? I mean... in my mind that would solve both the problems of gamesharing and remaining consumer friendly... yeah, probably a bit too optimistic.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
What bugs me also is the mandatory install. It was really bad for MGS4, GT4 and all that but not every game needed one for the PS3 and not every game tried to reach the capacity of a blu-ray disc. Now with games like GTA V, Max Payne 3 and L.A. Noire requiring 30 or more gigabytes of storage, the sizes of games are only going to get bigger now both consoles use blu-ray. So basically this mandatory install for all games means that hard-drive is going to get filled up very quickly, and to install it again you will have to pay. Looks like massive collections are out of the picture.

Oh... also Microsoft, making the console massive then making gamers pay if they want to take a game round a friend's house is a MASSIVE dick move. What if you wanted two Xbox Ones (that name!) in the same house? You'll have to pay for every single game all over again.

Well done Microsoft.

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
Commenters on the Verge quicky pointed this out: Sure, there will be a fee for the used game. But how much? Well, it sounds like you can play the game without the disk in the drive, so there's nothing stopping you from installing the game and then selling your "used" copy. That would indicate that the fee will be quite high, even maybe retail.

The counter to this is that when the next person installs the game, it will deactivate it for the original user. That sounds a bit confusing to me though. There's no way you'll be able to clearly explain that to the users who will suddenly find they can no longer play their game cause they lent it to a friend. It would also make it really difficult to go play the game with a friend.

Then you also have the "cloud" services that can pretty much allow game developers to make their games online only. Even if MS doesn't kill used games with it's fee, I imagine developers will charge a fee for every online account connected to the same game code.

I'm not sure this is the greatest attack on consumers in history or something though. Was that what Half-life 2 was? Are all Steamworks games doing this? Because when I buy a great game that just came out a couple monthts ago for $10 and then install it on multiple computers, I really don't feel like I've been attacked.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Grey Carter said:
Congrats on coming up with the first (as far as I know) penis gag related to the new console name! I supposed Microsoft is boneing us x-tremely hard with this used game thing, hopefully it bombs and they have to cut it out to remain competitive with Sony. I'm a PC gamer though, so I doubt it will affect me that much.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
"The Microsoft rep did say that if the disc was used with a second account, on the same console" then they pay a fee. So if I buy a game and ANYONE else in my house wants to play they have to use my account or buy the game for themselves for their account.

Microsoft is apperantly run by f@#^*!% idiots.
I will be skiping this entire console generation apperantly. Wow who would have thought the the people to convince me to become a computer gamer would be the people selling the consoles.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Well that's actually legitimately stupid. One of the reasons I console game is because I like using games on disk so I don't have to worry about loading up hard drive (I've already used most of my 500 gigs on my laptop from steam games). Now you're saying the games have to be completely installed? No. If I was an xbox user (and thank god I'm not) that would be my turn off from the new xbox

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
FinalDream said:
So this explains why EA are so happy to drop online passes!
Lets be honest, we all knew it wasn't going to be out of the kindness of their hearts. I think a lot of people were expecting something like this to be the reason.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Hhmm... tbh I can't imagine how this will work out.
After all just imagine your XBox One is always offline. How can a offline system verify that the disc inside the tray is a pre-owned copy?
I could imagine such a system with a online DRM scheme e.g. you don't have to be online during play but during installation to verify the copy and bind it to an account (steam basically).
But not with a system that may be offline during its entire life...

And to all the people immigrating to the PC because of this: Welcome to Steam-Land! Where every fucking game is tied to your Steam account anyway! (or Origin or U-play...) ENJOY!

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Legion said:
FinalDream said:
Lets be honest, we all knew it wasn't going to be out of the kindness of their hearts. I think a lot of people were expecting something like this to be the reason.
I thought they were trying to win over some people with some extremely desperately needed PR but apparently I was wrong.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Hopefully sony is making the right choice by watching this unfold and thinking they want no part in that.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
aba1 said:
Legion said:
FinalDream said:
I thought they were trying to win over some people with some extremely desperately needed PR but apparently I was wrong.
It is entirely possible, but it is a standard PR move to try and use an already existing thing to piggyback credibility.

Just like how the current British Chancellor of the Exchequer is trying to claim partial responsibility for the next Star Wars films being filmed over here. He isn't particularly popular so is trying to boost his own rating (as it will provide jobs, unemployment being an issue), while jumping on something that was probably going to happen anyway.

I suspect EA are doing something similar.

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
PoolCleaningRobot said:
Well that's actually legitimately stupid. One of the reasons I console game is because I like using games on disk so I don't have to worry about loading up hard drive (I've already used most of my 500 gigs on my laptop from steam games). Now you're saying the games have to be completely installed? No. If I was an xbox user (and thank god I'm not) that would be my turn off from the new xbox
I've never heard this before as a reason to use consoles over PCs. That's probably because hard drives are extremely cheap and there's no reason to have 500GB of games installed at once anyway since you can download them again if you need to. I'm having no trouble with all my games installed onto a 250GB SSD.

But the XBone might not have the cheap expansion ability. I would hope that MS goes Sony's route of allowing the user to install their own hard drive, but that's not how it worked on the 360. Having to pay a bunch to upgrade that wimpy 500GB would really suck.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Between this, the reports of Xbone not being backwards compatible, and now this nugget popping up ( http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124217-Microsoft-Officially-Denies-Always-On-For-Xbox-One ), I think this video from the Nostalgia Critic sums up the feelings of the people (at 0:21)

Just replace the movie Milk Money with Xbone.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Turns out that pre-owned fee thing is false, at least if Xbox's official support Twitter is anything to go by.

[Tweet t=https://twitter.com/XboxSupport/status/336933801517260800]

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Fappy said:
The bullet's in the chamber. Will they shoot themselves in the foot?
I thought the barrel was aimed at their head, what with the 'not always online, but can be very easily' 'feature' and now this.

and 500 gigs isn't gonna last long against when the thing gets a good size catalog of games going

good job MS -.-

bak00777

Oct 3, 2009
I'm confused, will I be able to take a game over to my friend's house and play it on his console? Or will we have to pay in order to play. This whole thing is ridiculous.

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
I think people are jumping the gun with this one, and understandably so. But lets just look at what they are saying here.

With the ability to download a game to your HD and play without a disk, you open a whole can of worms here. What would stop you from going to your local redbox and renting a game, installing it on your hard drive, and then effectively now owning a game you only paid a buck for or buying a game and then giving it to a bunch of your friends so that they can then download it to their hard drives and have a free game? What Microsoft is proposing is that you can still buy used games if you want, but you then are barred from using the no-disk feature of the new xbox. It's a convenience feature. I don't know about you guys but I'm perfectly okay with that. I don't mind having to use a disk to play a game. Hell, I've been doing it for years now. Not only that but the PC has been doing the very same thing for years now.

People are so quick to jump on the hate bandwagon that it worries me.