Microsoft Increasing Investment in Xbox Live Ads

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
I'm definitely getting a PS4 in the next generation of consoles. This is ridiculous.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
I don't mind this. Like...at all. If anything, it shows potential that Microsoft may offer some Gold services for free (voice-chat and joining 'Parties') and make actually paying for Gold cheaper in the future. To me, it's not a major inconvenience. I don't see an ad and immediately go into rage mode shouting, "Fuck this shit!!" My gameplay experience isn't interrupted or lessened by ads. I don't see pop-ups when I'm shooting things in the face. The time I spend actually on the dashboard is...almost inconceivably little when compared to my time in-game or elsewhere. I'm not going to accidentally click an ad because it's almost impossible to "fat-finger" an analog stick, and I don't flip through the menus like I'm trying to break some sort of speed record; I actually pay attention to what I'm selecting. Not sure why everyone is flipping their shit over this.
[HEADING=2]Srsly?[/HEADING]

Angel Molina

Mar 23, 2011
*Stares at the computer, adjusts gaze at the now dust gathering 360, looks back at PC... proceeds to hug*

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
Holy crap Microsoft, I hate you so much. I really need to re-evaluate my need for XBL

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Sometimes situations like with Sleeping Dogs make me feel PC gaming is a failure, then I see shit like this and I go back with lube and roses.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
"Ads are awesome! Let's channel browse until we find commercials because they're so funny and entertaining!", said no one ever.

Well...my Gold subscription ends until May...so we'll see by then how bad it gets.
But seriously, like someone said, why is this being presented as a good thing? I understand companies need ads because they get some extra revenue and stuff, but the truth of the matter is that no one likes ads. No one stops to think "Hey, this will help my network transmit and support my show!" when watching their favorite TV show. No, they just switch channels.

Sorry, guys. I know ads get you more money and such but...ads are lame. Simple as that. Do a study about that instead.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Microsoft have totally lost the plot. It seems like it's barely a technology company any more in the way I used to understand the term. Although now technology company seems to mean design and marketing company who sell gadgets for people who are not able to master technology so I guess they sort of qualify.

bossfight1

Apr 23, 2009
My Xbox has been gathering dust for a while now... When Microsoft gets their heads out of their asses and makes Xbox Live free like PSN I'll probably start playing again, but that won't happen because Microsoft is too busy snorting coke off their billfolds.

Maybe part of the problem is Console exclusives, like Gears of War and Halo; people who want to play those games have no choice but to get em for 360. Microsoft keeps charging, people keep playing the exclusives... if Halo and Gears were on the PS3 as well, anyone who knows how to save money would get it on the PS3 so they didn't have to pay $60 a year to play the game they already bought.

Microsoft's almost as bad as EA... almost.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
They've never really bothered me. Then again, I hear the US service has way more ads and such then the NZ/AU region.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Bvenged said:
So, when will Xbox Live Platinum come out offering Gold but ad-free for £45pa
Please, don't give them the idea!

---

I wonder if this will effect the next dashboard update...I really miss the tabs/folder aesthetic from years ago but mainly because it lacked in advertisements and seemed to emphasize the game in your disc tray. I've been a Silver user (not really, can't connect to the internet with my 360) for well over a year now and I'm glad to see Microsoft is doens't nothing to win me back. Saves me some money on a useless subscription.