Microsoft Kills the Zune

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
Wow, I'm surprised it even lasted this long, never seemed to find a niche... I honestly don't know a single person who owns one. Shame as the os actually looked pretty good.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
That's a plumb shame. I owned a few Zunes. all broke down for one reason or another. The software was incredibly restrictive. And it's functions weren't as good as they could have been. I own a sony walkman and it's much better than a Zune. I think being like the Ipod was it's first mistake it should have just been a really good MP3 player.

assassinslover

Apr 14, 2009
I'm quite fond of my zune, actually, and this one hasn't broken like my first two ipods, or been stolen like my most frequent one. :D At least I'll still be able to replace this one if it does meet an unfortunate end.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
The Zune is still around? I thought they canned that thing a long time ago, well this is news to me.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Bags159 said:
Phew, for a second there I was afraid they were killing the software.

Quiet Stranger said:
Can someone please explain to me why no one bought a Zune or hardly anyone? Like that guy said, it did everything an iPod does but no one (hardly anyone) bought a Zune, after seeing what the zune looks like, i might go out and buy a pink one
I don't know why everyone bags on the zune; it was everything the iPod was + radio, for a few bucks cheaper. I've never been angry at my zune or the software, yet my mom constantly rages at iTunes. Oh well, sheep will be sheep.

solidstatemind said:
but it wasn't nearly as refined as the iPod.
lolwut
You didn't hear? Anyone who calls someone else a "sheep" pejoratively is immediately disregarded in every matter, ever.

Seriously, stop it.

Nemesis729

Jul 9, 2010
At least they're not stopping production, I refuse to buy an Ipod (Or any other Apple product for that matter)

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
...can't believe this one hasn't come up yet:

Prophecy fulfilled.

...not that I use mobile music devices aside from my laptop...

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
bahumat42 said:
Gxas said:
If I could get the Zune software to work with my iPod, instead of fussing with the hell that is iTunes, I would just be ecstatic. That being said, I am sad to see that the only large competition with the iPod is now gone.
really?
any decent modern phone can outpace an ipod.
The only unique reason for them now is the nanos. And even that has competition from cheaper brands.
I buy phones when I need to call someone. I use mp3 players to listen to music. Phones are not in competition with mp3 players.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Gxas said:
If I could get the Zune software to work with my iPod, instead of fussing with the hell that is iTunes, I would just be ecstatic. That being said, I am sad to see that the only large competition with the iPod is now gone.
You can probably blame the Zune for the fact that they are seen as the only large competition. Every market Microsoft muscles themselves into, everyone except them and their biggest competition tends to be ignored by the media. The Walkman, Zen, Sansa, and iRiver brands are still around, but as soon as a "big name" like Microsoft announced they were making an iPod clone, it became "iPod vs. Zune". It didn't help that during the 2008 election, Obama owned a Zune and McCain owned an iPod, which the media milked another week's worth of manufactured commentary out of.

HentMas said:
hell, make it compatible with Itunes and you might have a fighting chance for the market.
Yeah, you do realize Apple is never gonna go for that, right? That'd be like asking Microsoft to release their software for the Mac... oh wait, they do. Even Windows works on it. OK, then it'd be like asking Apple to release their software for Windows. There we go. Man, I never thought I'd see the day when Microsoft has a more reasonable business model than... well, anyone.

Jonny1188 said:
So is there at least gonna be new music releases in the marketplace? I love my Zune HD, I don't want it to be worthless now :(
Yeah. Zune is still going to be the music store for Windows Phone, just like how the iPhone uses iTunes.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
GeorgW said:
Seriously, whow the hell can Apple sustain this monopoly??
Zune was only ever available in America and Canada, iPods are available all across the world. Not hard to work out really.

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
Ironic Pirate said:
Bags159 said:
Phew, for a second there I was afraid they were killing the software.

Quiet Stranger said:
Can someone please explain to me why no one bought a Zune or hardly anyone? Like that guy said, it did everything an iPod does but no one (hardly anyone) bought a Zune, after seeing what the zune looks like, i might go out and buy a pink one
I don't know why everyone bags on the zune; it was everything the iPod was + radio, for a few bucks cheaper. I've never been angry at my zune or the software, yet my mom constantly rages at iTunes. Oh well, sheep will be sheep.

solidstatemind said:
but it wasn't nearly as refined as the iPod.
lolwut
You didn't hear? Anyone who calls someone else a "sheep" pejoratively is immediately disregarded in every matter, ever.

Seriously, stop it.
Then what are people you buy Apple products solely because they're Apple products?

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
bahumat42 said:
Gxas said:
bahumat42 said:
Gxas said:
really?
any decent modern phone can outpace an ipod.
The only unique reason for them now is the nanos. And even that has competition from cheaper brands.
I buy phones when I need to call someone. I use mp3 players to listen to music. Phones are not in competition with mp3 players.
then your very unique.
Most people like to reduce the amount of crap in their pockets. Having one device do a lot (to acceptable standards) is something people want. Same reason there are cameras on phones. So yeah it kinda digs into the market a little bit.
I just recently switched providers and got an iPhone. I only have the Coheed and Cambria discography on the phone. Everything else is on the iPod. 30+ gigs of music fits much better on a device that only holds music, rather than a device that shares storage space with contacts/applications/etc.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Ophiuchus said:
GeorgW said:
Seriously, whow the hell can Apple sustain this monopoly??
Zune was only ever available in America and Canada, iPods are available all across the world. Not hard to work out really.
Oh, so Microsoft invested several millions on a doomed to fail launch. Smart...

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Bags159 said:
Then what are people you buy Apple products solely because they're Apple products?
The same thing as you and all the others who bash Apple because it's "cool" I would guess.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
fenrizz said:
I bet this guy [http://gizmodo.com/#!318794/zune-tattoo-guy-legally-changing-his-name-to-microsoft-zune-is-clearly-insane] is feeling really, really smart now:

It's not like anyone actually knows what it is?