Microsoft Launching "Ultimate Game Sale" Next Week

Jun 20, 2013
Enter the Steam Summer Sale. Every other sale promptly dies from utter shock and horror.

Sony offers fairly regular seasonal sales on the PSN. The sale-prices aren't world-shaking, but they do gradually add up. The simple fact that they do this places no small shame on Microsoft. I'm not lauding Sony as some benevolent benefactor. Yet holy smokes when Microsoft announces a sale, it is sad that it's news.

GOG and Steam ... come to me and love me with your golden-glow of the consistent savings.

Apr 5, 2008
That is quite a line up. Sadly, I will never again spend a penny on XBL since being hacked on there and having £150 stolen from me. If Microsoft had bothered to help me instead of letting the thief get away with it, I might still be a customer but they didn't and so I'm not.

Anyone still using that hacker filled service seriously needs to use it with caution. Remove any linked credit or debit cards, paypal or other financial information. If you have to have MS Points, buy cards from a retailer or someone like Amazon. Don't save any financial details with your XBL account if you don't wish to be stolen from and have no help from MS in recovering your cash.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I'm just amazed that Prey is on the list. You can't buy that game anymore on Steam.

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
Crysis
Crysis 3
Is this some kind of hidden ploy to get people to purchase Crysis 2 at full price?

I'll admit I'm tempted at Metal Gear Rising, but at the same time I'm not sure I trust Microsoft enough to make a digital purchase with them, considering their recent DRM choices/policies...

xshadowscreamx

Dec 21, 2011
they had a big sale around the chritmas holidays, for me this will be there second big sale. i got max payne 3 for 600mp(i think) for example

time the clean the HDD
buy a 3000 points card..

and make some hard decisions

xshadowscreamx

Dec 21, 2011
so games i have not played are

Assassin's Creed 3
Bulletstorm
Crysis
Crysis 3
Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga
Far Cry 3
Gears Judgement
Hitman Absolution
Metal Gear Rising: Revengence
Tomb Raider
Witcher 2
X-Com: Enemy Unknown

LOL probably even after my modest HHD clean out i still would not have enough, especially not enough points... 3000 points = $50 at the retail store
for some (most) of them i would prefer on disk like the witcher 2 becouse that game would take a whole bunch of giggage..

not sure what to do.. oh well there is still time left.. and to actually see how much of a discount.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
As usual, it's a cluster of games that I either already have or give no fucks about. Except Divinity II, I might pick that one back up.

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
Good list! Full of great titles, shame I have most of them already except for Xcom... the rest I don't really care for.
I guess it's a nice sale for people who are interested I suppose.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Vie said:
Be still my beating heart.

As others have already said, the ones on that list I'm interested in I can get for the PC either for less, or just with better graphics/controls.
Yeah. I really can't help but wonder why anyone would get Red Alert on the xbox. I mean, the pc controls are just better. Even the original red alert, and that game did the stupid "left mouse button selects units AND orders them to move/attack".

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Note: The following post is all speculation, as the author is not knowledgeable about economics nor Microsoft's sale policy.

It seems to me that Microsoft doesn't realise why Steam has such cheap sales. The Steam sales aren't usually to clock up large profit figures while the sale is on, its to show people that this game is actually rather good, so they show it to friends who may them buy it full price after the sale. A 20% sale isn't convincing anyone when Steam goes for 75% almost as standard, with 90% off happening on occasion.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Diablo1099 said:
When was the last "Big" Xbox Live sale anyway? Did they have one before now?
CriticalMiss said:
They had the Xbox Live Summer Arcade thingamajig a few years ago. That's all I seem to remember.
They've done "summer of Arcade" pretty much every year for a while. Their last "big" sale was sometime last year, and it was about on the same scale. That is to say, it's only slightly bigger than the sales Sony puts on routinely (They have mior weekly ones, but seem to have big ones every couple of months) and tiny compared to Steam's two "big" sales.

...I really wish Microsoft didn't half-ass things.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Wow, guys, I know its Microsoft but a lot of you are talking a lot of shit here. They always have games and stuff at usually 30/50% off every week and there was that month not long ago where they actually did a big sales thing with Max Payne 3 at 5?, Virtua Figher 5 at about 2.50?, then other games like Rainbow Six Vegas and The Darkness at around those prices too. There were some other games there but those were probably the most bang for buck games that interested me.

So yeah, its not like they are great but to say that this will probably be only 30% off at most is really just being naive.

Still saving up for Steam Sales though, those are just incredible

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Wow a whole 32 games on sale, it's kinda cute. It's like watching a little kid stomp around in their parents shoes.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Is this going to be across all regions, because we miss out on half of what they do. Their weekly "gold" specials usually suck, I see the same things popping up on those all the time. Will keep an eye on this though, if it comes here, it may surprise me.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Wow, escapist got kind of annoying. We used to be a more positive bunch than the rest of the forums, instead of people actually discussing anything or enjoying this news, the thread is just filled with people who just wanna talk shit on everything. I blame yahtzee.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Hmm, L4D2 for a tenner and you got yourselves a sale there Microsoft.
josemlopes said:
Wow, guys, I know its Microsoft but a lot of you are talking a lot of shit here. They always have games and stuff at usually 30/50% off every week and there was that month not long ago where they actually did a big sales thing with Max Payne 3 at 5?, Virtua Figher 5 at about 2.50?, then other games like Rainbow Six Vegas and The Darkness at around those prices too. There were some other games there but those were probably the most bang for buck games that interested me.

So yeah, its not like they are great but to say that this will probably be only 30% off at most is really just being naive.

Still saving up for Steam Sales though, those are just incredible
My problem is that the Microsoft dashboard is so clustered with crap it just puts me off of browsing the damn thing, so I never see any good sales.

Steam on the other hand I'll just hit the specials tab and boom, a list of games on sale.

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
Oh yeah "Ultimate" sale, Micro$oft never ceases to find new, cringe worthy ways to fail. This Major Nelson clown is really starting to rub me the wrong way, and I had no intention of ever owning an XBone, why is he called Major Nelson anyway?