Microsoft Launching "Ultimate Game Sale" Next Week

Raine_sage

Sep 13, 2011
Huh, I got DA:O Ultimate edition for 20 bucks at gamestop while I was looking for something to play while my internet was out. I'm kind of curious to see how much they're going to mark the vanilla game down for, if their goal is to try and compete with retail prices/steam.

6_Qubed

Mar 19, 2009
I have noticed a small but noteworthy flaw in this plan. Most of the games on this list I really want? I already have them. Stood in line for one or two of these fuckers, to boot. I have physical copies. They mine now.

I have no incentive to let Microsoft fuck my wallet up the ass twice re-monetize the initial purchases.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Presumably this is MS trying to regain some favor and cash by discounting digital games...games which will NOT carry over to the Xbone. So...yeah...*facepalm*
Zachary Amaranth said:
...I really wish Microsoft didn't half-ass things.
They went all the way to piss off gamers and screw them over :p

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
gamegod25 said:
Presumably this is MS trying to regain some favor and cash by discounting digital games...games which will NOT carry over to the Xbone. So...yeah...*facepalm*
Zachary Amaranth said:
...I really wish Microsoft didn't half-ass things.
They went all the way to piss off gamers and screw them over :p

That's only because they half-assed their thought process. >.>

Regarding the currying of favour and backwards compatibility, this is an awkward period, where they still need to promote the current console and can't afford to lose brand recognition. At the same time, their design decisions do make it all the harder, and being idiots hasn't really helped, either.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
6_Qubed said:
I have noticed a small but noteworthy flaw in this plan. Most of the games on this list I really want? I already have them. Stood in line for one or two of these fuckers, to boot. I have physical copies. They mine now.

I have no incentive to let Microsoft fuck my wallet up the ass twice re-monetize the initial purchases.
Consider, perhaps, you're not the target audience.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
I picked up Borderlands 2 on the 360 for the split screen, and if they could have the DLC for any amount off I would consider getting that in the sale, but I doubt that will happen.

I do want to get Far Cry 3, but I doubt they'll beat what Amazon will have the physical disc for sometime this summer.

Vivid Kazumi

Jan 7, 2012
martyrdrebel27 said:
Wow, escapist got kind of annoying. We used to be a more positive bunch than the rest of the forums, instead of people actually discussing anything or enjoying this news, the thread is just filled with people who just wanna talk shit on everything. I blame yahtzee.
glad i'm not the only one that's noticed this.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
"Guys! Guys look, see?! We're doing big sales too! You like us more now, right? R-right? Guys...? Is anyone still there...?"

Good work, Microsoft. Now do this more than once a year, eh?

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Other than the fact that none of these games will transfer to the Xbone, I think people are being unduly harsh. But then again, every time we thought Microsoft would manage to fuck something up, we weren't disappointed (or we were, depending on how you looked at it).

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
It is a nice gesture from Microsoft, but there are two big problems I have with this is. Firstly, I've already purchased the games I've wanted from that bunch years ago and secondly my local retailer still sells them at the same price or cheaper than Microsoft's "sale" price and have done so for ages.

While I get the impression this is a desperate attempt to regain a little lost PR - I'm under the impression from the comments here that it is all too little, too late.

Freyar

Solar Empire General
May 9, 2008
I'm waiting to see the discounts. I'm betting they'll be laughable next to Steam, GoG, and Greenman Gaming. (Hell, Greenman Gaming gives me DISCOUNTS FOR PRE-ORDERS.)

I'll believe Microsoft's "big sale" when I see it happen, and even then it'll be just as comedic as Modern Warfare 3 on Steam being sold at a -1% (Yes, that's negative savings) discount during a Summer Sale.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
*Comes into thread expecting to see a bunch of oversaturated or plain shitty titles and is thinking of a derogatory post*

*Reads list, is surprised at the quality of some titles, namely MGR*

*Looks for sale prices*

*"I don't know exactly [...] when or for how much"*

*Laughs, leaves*

gg Microsoft.

ParadiseOnceLost

Jan 26, 2010
Well leave it to Microsoft to announce a big sale right when my Gold expires. I currently have no desire to renew it, so hopefully this will be open to silver members, but even if it is I have serious doubts that microsoft will beat amazon's prices, so no thanks Microsoft.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Great, now if only it wasn't such a fucking obtuse system for me to buy stuff on my Xbox, (yeah, thanks for not accepting my bank card that is recognised by every other online retailer, guys.)

Fortunately the only game I don't already have on this list that interests me --Metal Gear Rising-- I'd rather have for the PS3, anyway.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
CardinalPiggles said:
Hmm, L4D2 for a tenner and you got yourselves a sale there Microsoft.
They had L4D2 for ?10 in the last Games on Demand sale a few months ago so it's pretty likely

CardinalPiggles said:
My problem is that the Microsoft dashboard is so clustered with crap it just puts me off of browsing the damn thing, so I never see any good sales.

Steam on the other hand I'll just hit the specials tab and boom, a list of games on sale.
Most sales are advertised on the main page.If not scroll over 2 tabs to the games page and they're listed there.At worst you have to scroll to the games page,click on "Browse Games" and click the "Sales and Specials" tab.I'm not the biggest fan of the dashboard either but stop pretending it's worse than it actually is.It's not like you have to search through twenty pages of crap to find them.If you're missing sales because you're too lazy to click two buttons then that's your problem

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Wait, so Microsoft do something that can only be construed as a positive, and people STILL hate on them for it? This is beyond ridiculous.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well I'm definitely tempted to pick up Metal Gear Rising and Max Payne 3, dependant on the price they are at. So yeah, count me as one of apparently seemingly few people that see this as a good thing.

captainordo

Mar 28, 2009
Diablo1099 said:
When was the last "Big" Xbox Live sale anyway? Did they have one before now?
I know there was a big sale at the end of February. It had a pretty good selection of games and discounts up to 75% off, which is pretty good in my opinion.
Source: http://www.slashgear.com/xbox-live-games-on-demand-sale-starts-today-26271595/

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
MetalDooley said:
CardinalPiggles said:
Hmm, L4D2 for a tenner and you got yourselves a sale there Microsoft.
They had L4D2 for ?10 in the last Games on Demand sale a few months ago so it's pretty likely

CardinalPiggles said:
My problem is that the Microsoft dashboard is so clustered with crap it just puts me off of browsing the damn thing, so I never see any good sales.

Steam on the other hand I'll just hit the specials tab and boom, a list of games on sale.
Most sales are advertised on the main page.If not scroll over 2 tabs to the games page and they're listed there.At worst you have to scroll to the games page,click on "Browse Games" and click the "Sales and Specials" tab.I'm not the biggest fan of the dashboard either but stop pretending it's worse than it actually is.It's not like you have to search through twenty pages of crap to find them.If you're missing sales because you're too lazy to click two buttons then that's your problem
It took me literally 1 second to find that Chivalry was £6.45 from the moment Steam loaded. Not to mention all the other games just below it.

On the Xbox dashboard I can't see a list of games with their prices right there next to each game. I have to go into each tile one by one to find the relevant information I need to make an informed decision.

And of course I'm being lazy. But convenient service is what brings customers back. At the end of the day, if they want my money, they need to provide me with a good service.

Thanks for the heads up for L4D2.