Microsoft Patents In-Home Consumer Monitoring System

psyco

Aug 17, 2012
What. the. hell?

Guess no one is going to buy the next XBOX console generation then...?

Scary shit.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I've read this four times now trying to grasp this brainstorm from MS. My opinion can sort of be summed up as 'I'm sorry, what?'.

As I understand it I could be watching a movie and if the device detects an unauthorised viewer of the content say a visitor or knowing MS the family pet and then can it block the content. A bit too far with privacy invasion there Microsoft. Still if this ever actually happens get me some mannequins and some googly eyes, and let us see how easy it is to screw with.

Also remember MS some people get up to some really weird stuff when in private, is that something you really want to see?

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
snekadid said:
This is the point where we get our tinfoil hats and start building bomb shelters right?

This is definitely something to keep an eye on.... cant trust corporations ever since they decided their people....
According to MIT, Tinfoil hats actually amplify mind-control beams. [http://boingboing.net/2012/10/01/tinfoil-hats-actually-amplify.html] So better to just build a Faraday cage around that bomb shelter.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Gearhead mk2 said:
...WHY THE FRAK IS NO-ONE IN POWER DOING ANYTHING ABOUT THE LUDICROUS AND ORWELLIAN POWER THAT MEGACORPS HAVE?!?!?!
The power to file for a patent? Yeah, it's ridiculous I say!

Anyone remember Sony's patent on compulsory ads during games? No? Exactly!
It's a patent, that doesn't mean it's going to get used. In fact, it means that no other company can just implement anything like that willy-nilly without paying immense royalties. That is a good thing!
The pharmacy sector files hundreds of patents yearly for failed products. Some people need to relax and re-read before flipping.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
Genocidicles said:
Let's say in some nightmarish reality this becomes the norm. What's to stop me just turning the camera around? Or sticking a bit of paper over it?
You wouldn't be able to watch the movie, maybe? That would make the most sense.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
Fucking hell. Forcing users to agree to licenses based on the number of people using a product privately? Even limiting the number of uses instead of using a timed basis?
I mean ignoring how stupidly easy it would be to just sit out of view of the camera, this is a massive "fuck you" to all people who purchase from Microsoft.
This ties in to Jim's video this week as well. Instead of focusing on making it's product and services better, Microsoft is money-grubbing. Literally looking for loopholes from which to gain money as if it can barely pay its rent, and isn't a multimillion dollar corporation.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Well, I guess it's just time to strip down naked and vigorously hump a Bill Gates effigy while watching films. What? You gonna fuck me, well fuck you too.

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
And people could pirate the media and never have to put up with any of that. See the problem?
Yea I see the problem. The consumers are still "pirating" our content. Obviously we need more messages at the beginning of our media to alert people the the illegality of such actions.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
If this ever, EVER becomes a reality, then I'll never buy anything from MS again.

What I do in my own home is up to me. If I want to watch a film with anyone else I'll fucking do it.

anian

Sep 10, 2008
You can try to resist, but I see a few choices
- become a pirate in your own home and use a camera to tape the thing you're watching, then rewatch it later
- make a costume in form of a chair and put a stocking over your face so the kinect doesn't recognize you
- enter on four legs masked as a big family dog
- take a photograph of your family in front of the tv then hang the photo on a string in front of the kinect camera, shake it every so often so it recognizes movement
- my last idea goes into the violent illegal territory so never mind that

Next thing you'll know they'll limit the number of times you can fondle yourself while watching an adult movie or a the number of times when you can laugh during a comedy, number of tears during a tragic story. Maybe even a Kinect that talks like "Aww, man, what are you watching? Oh, no, no, no way, you pervy bastard."

Roander

Dec 27, 2009
Has anyone patented 'Piece of paper taped over front of Kinect sensor' yet? I think I'll call it a Privacy Shield.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
Scars Unseen said:
snekadid said:
This is the point where we get our tinfoil hats and start building bomb shelters right?

This is definitely something to keep an eye on.... cant trust corporations ever since they decided their people....
According to MIT, Tinfoil hats actually amplify mind-control beams. [http://boingboing.net/2012/10/01/tinfoil-hats-actually-amplify.html] So better to just build a Faraday cage around that bomb shelter.
no wai! I knew the tin foil hat defense was a plot to enable mind control! I should of voted zod for prez.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Okay, so apparently the fact that people didn't really start buying music online until the major distributors got rid of DRM has been completely lost on everyone in the industry.

Whatever. It'll never sell. People vote with their wallets, and I can't imagine any content compelling enough to make me willing to put up with this crap, let alone actually pay for it. Any content distributor who opts to use this sort of system will go broke, and rightfully so.

DonTsetsi

May 22, 2009
Don't worry guys, Kinect is not that good at recognizing people, just have all guests sit down before you turn on the console and then tell them not to move.

Samurai Silhouette

Nov 16, 2009
Maybe Microsoft's just patenting it so no other company can ever use it as well as not use it itself!

Good Guy Microsoft!

MrStab

Mar 24, 2011
Because there is no way whatsoever this could blow up in Microsoft's face really there isn't.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Remember kids, when you asked for that semiconscious, face and limb tracking voice recognition camera to be installed in your device, it was exactly what you paid for.