Microsoft Patents In-Home Consumer Monitoring System

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Dear Microsoft, GTFO me.

Sincerly, Terra (aka the earth)

P.S. Luna says don't think you can crash here either.

I don't know about you all, but if it comes right down to it, I'm more than happy to firebomb M$'s assets and salt the earth to stop their progression of this line of bullshit.

Or less hyperbolically I hope that groups like Anon might decide to stop with the mostly juvenile pranks and actually rise up to keep shit like this in check so that the worst case doesn't happen, and that this kind of crap never becomes acceptable in ANY home EVER.

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
Microsoft?
What are you doing?
Microsoft?
Stahp!!!

If I knew anyone that worked for Microsoft, regardless of how, I would slap them upside the back of the head on principle. For this and Win8.

tsaweeos

Nov 5, 2008
This is more or less off-topic but over the past year or two that I've started paying attention to politics I can honestly say I'm really starting to hate Capitalism. There's a good and bad side to everything so I can't hate it as a whole but companies should never be given empowerment over human rights and freedoms nor should they have the power to manipulate politics.

ACTA - Anti Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (failed but revived as Canadian European Trade Agreement and something else was made for the US)(Created by MPAA, not an elected official)
CISPA- Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (Warrant-less spying for US gov)
PIPA - Protect Intellectual Property Act
SOPA - Stop Online Piracy Act
TPP - Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (Will make you a criminal if you click on a link to any website your government doesn't like)

(Canadian Bills)
Bill c30 & 32 aka "Lawful Access Legislation" (Vic Towes blindly defended this bill because he was paid off to)
Bill c11 "Copyright modernization act" (Makes Canada's Copyright laws equally as corrupt as the US)

I'm sick of all these Copyright & Surveillance based bills that are written in such a way that allows empowerment over our civil liberties all for the sake of protecting Corperate Amerrica's God "Copyright"; Just because they think they can lose money off of sharing, a kind human gesture. (See video: TED Talk's "The 8 Billion dollar IPOD")

I'm also sick of their abusive EULA's and ToS agreements that allow companies to snoop through our Personal Computers so they can compile a list of software programs or hardware specs, just so they can sell it off to data analysis groups or advertisers just to make an extra buck. I don't care how convenient it is for developers to know my harware specs. They don't need to know my IP address and MAC address just to make a good video game. If they want to know it, they can ask for it in a survey like Steam, not go behind my back and snoop like EA with their Origin service.

It's like buying a couch and signing an EULA that allows the company to walk into my home whenever they want just to see what I buy. It's non of their damn business.

This is why so many people who bought PC games or software programs that don't agree to the EULA (and can't get a refund) end up download a clean copy of said product.

/rant

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Honestly in 7 years I assume that in order to log on to the internet at all you will be required to a transvaginal ultrasound to ensure that their are no fetuses present that might be sponging off of your licensing agreements.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
And people could pirate the media and never have to put up with any of that. See the problem?
Only problem I see is that a few morons would actually buy the media instead of pirating it and give these douchebags the idea that this type of development is acceptable. xD

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
So, technically I could have a movie or tv show made inaccessible because one-too-many people walked into my living room?
"Pay me more, bitches!"?

Worst invention EVER!

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I truly hope MS is aware that this is illegal everywhere but France? Right?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
And with that bit of news, that other patent Microsoft has for their "holodeck" technology seems suddenly far more sinister.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
So... Under this system, you buy a movie that has a license for a "maximum of three users to watch." And there's a system in place to make sure there's no more than three users watching.

Yyeeaaahhh... No.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
tsaweeos said:
snip.............
/rant
broken tag for the love of God broken tag.
GTwander said:
So, technically I could have a movie or tv show made inaccessible because one-too-many people walked into my living room?
"Pay me more, bitches!"?

Worst invention EVER!
actually it's more like.
"Honey why is this bill from Microsoft $50 I thought those movies were only $2 each"
"It was only $2 for 1-3 people, but it was like $10 for 7-10"
"So when _____ Soccer team came through the living room"
"Ohhhhh" (throws Kinnect out window)

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
BeerTent said:
So... Under this system, you buy a movie that has a license for a "maximum of three users to watch." And there's a system in place to make sure there's no more than three users watching.
It doesn't count how many restreaming boxes you've got connected that can stream to other devices out of camera range.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
doggie015 said:
RicoADF said:
meh, if they ever impliment it I'd just sit back with popcorn and watch them be smashed by the law. Heck in Australia they'd be charged with filming minors without permission, numerous privacy laws etc etc, it'd never be allowed.
Yeah... unless the put provisions in the EULA which invalidates these laws for the purposes of "Copyright enforcement"
No contract, and EULAs are in very questionable status in Australia, can override State or Federal law in Australia.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
doggie015 said:
RicoADF said:
meh, if they ever impliment it I'd just sit back with popcorn and watch them be smashed by the law. Heck in Australia they'd be charged with filming minors without permission, numerous privacy laws etc etc, it'd never be allowed.
Yeah... unless the put provisions in the EULA which invalidates these laws for the purposes of "Copyright enforcement"
Actually I've already looked into it, EULAs must abide by our laws, not the other way around. When I got bf3 it had a sticker with the federal emblem and a msg saying that our local consumer etc laws override the EULA.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Evil Smurf said:
simple, Just don't buy that product Microsoft are making.

Actually the point of them patenting this is so that if they develop the technology they can then liscence it to other companies. Microsoft would make the money off of something like this by selling it to movie companies, digital rental services, and similar things.

It pretty much goes down to the old arguement that if you buy a book, you don't actually own the book or the story, but simply have bought permission to personally view/read/consume it. Technically if you lend someone else your book to read, or make copies of it, your comitting a crime since everyone else consuming it should have paid the creator. Harlan Ellison (the science fiction writer) was fond of championing such arguements, and there have been cases against schools and such for photocopying sections of books for students, rather than forcing every student in a class to buy a copy of the book themselves. This being especially true in colleges where they are private businesses, and there is some motivation by teachers to try and cut costs due to the cost of books already being insane.

In the scope of a digital product like a movie, the point would be that a rental of a movie is for one person, if more than one person wants to watch the movie, they should all have to pay "admission". Something you don't currently see because there is no way to track it. If there was a way to track it, it would be embraced however, especially if all the services offering rentals collaberated to ensure there were no alternatives. Microsoft selling the tech to everyone, making a bundle, while the companies themselves make more money through rentals.

On the subject of books, they are rapidly getting to the point where they will probably be digital only. With the right tech, your reading devices could monitor how many individual users have tried to access to content. Devices are already becoming hybrids with cameras and such, and pretty much anything they put a camera on (or could put one on) could be used to monitor and control content consumption, especially as recognition software becomes more effective.

To argue that this is wrong and people would never stand for it, is more or less irrelevent. As things stand now, if big business decides to push for something en-masse there is little stopping them. people choosing to go entirely without media is probably not going to happen. As time goes on and people grow up not knowing it any other way, the complaints will vanish. We already see it now with gouging over things like video games, people complain about the abuses inherant in DLC, microtransactions, and similar things, but as every year goes by you see more people growing up (each generation outnumbering the last) who have never known it any other way. For someone who is in their late 20s, 30s, or 40 to talk about how things were or should be is kind of meaningless, as some teenager or early 20-something who has never known things to be any other way it doesn't matter since they really can't quite visualize it. This is also why there is never any kind of uprising, there are new, sheepish consumers coming into any kind of scam, in greater numbers than the ones who know better at any given point. Today's sheep will be the same way, complaining about the new flock, as they themselves are overrun when business gets even greedier.

I don't like the idea, I think it should be stopped, but honestly I just don't think people have it in them to put their foot down. This won't be here tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure it, or something like it, will be coming.

To be honest, having read a lot of speculative science fiction I always felt we'd see a retina scanning system doing the same basic thing, rather than the kinect-like camera system being talked about here. I figured the start would be when they decided to put retina-locks onto things like iPhones and iPads as a new "security system" to cut down on theft and hacking and such, once in place for those reasons it would be used for content control, and then it would gradually expand into household electronics and such, to the point where eventually you'd need a retinal scan for just about everything, with this lock "protecting your property" actually becoming one that "ensures only a paying customer" can use it. Going so far as to not only limit media, but to make it so that you'd have to pay for everyone in your family to have their retinal scans enabled to turn on the microwave, work the coffee machine, or open the fridge. I guess it's like Jules Verne and books like 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, the basic idea is shockingly accurate to what we'd actually see, but the implenetation and specifics are far differant.