Microsoft Prohibits Gamers From Cashing in on YouTube

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Microsoft Prohibits Gamers From Cashing in on YouTube

Your Halo headshot montage won't be making you any more money, thanks to a revised Microsoft policy.

game content usage rules [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/tag/halo+4] explicitly prohibits anyone from making money through the creation and distribution of video clips or other materials, so long as the game in question was published by Microsoft Studios.

Publishing wild gameplay happenings and montage clips of titles like those in the Halo series has become a big deal on YouTube and other video portals. Once an individual's videos become popular enough they can gain partnerships with YouTube and receive a cut of the advertising revenue generated by their videos. This rule will put a swift end to that. In fact, the new language of the agreement even calls out the YouTube Partner program by name.

One particularly interesting point of the newly-revised rules states that advertisements can appear alongside or on the same page as a gameplay clip, but the person who created, edited, and published the work may not profit from it.

The MLG circuit - which owes a large part of its success to games like Halo 3 - will not be impacted due to the organization's usage rights agreements with Microsoft itself. Of course, your average YouTube partner who makes a few bucks here and there off of montage clips doesn't have the benefit of such immunity.

Not surprisingly, the news isn't sitting well with those who will be affected, especially with the launch of Halo 4 less than a month away. An online petition [http://twitition.com/avf8n]has already been set up to protest the change, and at the time of this writing it has over 950 signatures.

Source: GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/news/new-microsoft-rules-prohibit-users-from-profiting-on-created-content-6397939]

CentralScrtnzr

May 2, 2011
I don't really understand the wisdom of this. It's not like Microsoft is going to bother posting such videos to generate revenue for themselves. All they're going to do is reduce the impetus to post such videos which serve to hype the game. As a consequence, they get less free advertising and less excitement about their product.

They're a bunch of fucking idiots.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
I... really can't think of a single reason Microsoft would do this?
They don't offer a competing video upload service for Halo; they aren't losing money from people doing this. If anything, these videos promote their games for free & keep the customers happy

Is this just petty jealousy? Can Microsoft not just stand the idea of anyone else making money if they aren't involved? Wait, they were involved! They sell the game these videos are made of.

Yeah, I don't get it...

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
I dont get why this is bad for Microsoft. So what if someone is making ad revenue off your game, its not like that money is being taken from you, all it does is get people pumped to play your game after seeing a headshot montage or something, ohz noez!

Hap2

May 26, 2010
The worst thing a company can do is alienate those who contribute the most to their bottom line. This won't make Halo 4 any more profitable. It seems like a petty shot against what amounts to free advertising. All it does is give gamers (specifically Halo fans) an incentive to take their money elsewhere. Not a smart move in the long term.

snagli

Jan 21, 2011
saintdane05 said:
So, will this effect Red vs. Blue? It better not...
Maybe partially, but it seems it only affects YouTube. Since Roosterteeth has its own site with non-YouTube videos, so they're probably in the clear. Now, if this change affects ALL of the content, not just on YouTube... hoo boy.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Zombie_Moogle said:
I... really can't think of a single reason Microsoft would do this?
They don't offer a competing video upload service for Halo; they aren't losing money from people doing this. If anything, these videos promote their games for free & keep the customers happy

Is this just petty jealousy? Can Microsoft not just stand the idea of anyone else making money if they aren't involved? Wait, they were involved! They sell the game these videos are made of.

Yeah, I don't get it...
Youtube is owned by Google. Microsoft doesn't like Google. Lots of Halo videos on Youtube mean lots of advertising revenue for Google. I suppose MS has a plan to shift control of video game content off Youtube and onto a more MS-friendly platform.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
You know Microsoft, I was going to wait until there were funny montoge videos of Halo 4 and machinima, before I made my decision of weither or not to buy it. Guess that won't be the case anymore. Herpa derp.

Seriously, Bill Gates can drop a 200 dollar bill, and it literally wouldn't be worth his time to pick it up. If you want people to buy your games, make them good.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
saintdane05 said:
No, they already have had a deal with microsoft for a while.

OT: I am pretty sure Youtube in general doesn't let you make money off of gameplay videos, pretty sure Machinima and things like MLG (which already said they're uneffected) have deals.

Plus it just doesn't let people make money. You can still post your montages, as long as you aren't making money off of it.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
snagli said:
saintdane05 said:
Maybe partially, but it seems it only affects YouTube. Since Roosterteeth has its own site with non-YouTube videos, so they're probably in the clear. Now, if this change affects ALL of the content, not just on YouTube... hoo boy.
Well they're not only talking about YouTube, they're forbidding anyone to make money off any videos anywhere with Microsoft Games, so RoosterTeeth still goes against this as long as they have ads and are making money off those videos.

Personally I think this is a terrible move. Look at the massive amounts of YouTube partners making money off of walkthroughs and let's plays and gameplay videos and commentary and montages and machinimas etc. And then you have the entire rest of the internet, who post ads alongside of gameplay vids, trailers, fan-made videos, etc, it's ridiculous.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
dragongit said:
Seriously, Bill Gates can drop a 200 dollar bill, and it literally wouldn't be worth his time to pick it up. If you want people to buy your games, make them good.
Oh come on, taking cheap shots at Bill Gates for what Microsoft is doing right now (their GAMES division no less) is like blaming Saladin for the mistreatment of the Kurdish people, or George Washington for Guantanamo.

Only that Saladin and George Washington are not investing billions in eradicating polio. Right now. In the real world.

But back to topic: do they really think that is enforceable? Their lawyers will be playing whack-a-mole for the next few months, until they notice that their fees explode, which is when they might reconsider being more lenient with that policy.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
So why has Microsoft turned douchey? Closing their OS and now this? Wow.

don't hurt me I have a Mac

ctear

Sep 21, 2012
The scariest part of all of this is that if people go along with it this might be the standard for all video games, then movies and tv. This could completely put entertainment websites out of business. It is just Youtube, they just used it as an example. ANY advertising on a page with it cannot be used for income.

I wonder if this will spread to video reviews as well as those use clips while being reviewed.

Noswad

Mar 21, 2011
Wow this just seems like an incredibly dickish move from Microsoft, it doesn't even look like it's going to benefit anyone, do they think that money generated by these people is suddenly going to start to flow into their coffers? Otherwise their just stopping people from making a relatively small amount of money.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
whats that a video review not completely 'endorsed' and claiming halo 4 is not the next bacon, hosted on any mainstream websites, i think not criminal scum.

what that free advertising by some of the most popular youtubers? Nope.

whats that, millions of false claims against videos, well that's nothing new.

I suppose i can say goodbye to rvb ever using the halo 4 engine.

Apr 28, 2008
Why should they get paid for putting Halo videos on youtube Microsoft? Because they're advertising the game for you. For free.

I'm sure people will still make videos out of Halo because they love the series, but this is just a dick move. They're advertising the game for free, why not let the make a few bucks from it?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
But... for what convcieveable reason would Microsoft pull that? Theres no gain for them at all, even if they profited from it through lawsuits against Google and the YouTube Partners its going to be on a big enough scale that alot of people will be pissed off.

I mean, whether intentional or not, its policy is aimed at people who have the eyes and ears of the entire gaming community. One video from any one content creator in YouTube Partners can set 100000 people against Microsoft within a day.

What are they thinking?

Korten12 said:
I am pretty sure Youtube in general doesn't let you make money off of gameplay videos, pretty sure Machinima and things like MLG (which already said they're uneffected) have deals.
Actually, they do.

In the event that you make a YouTube channel that gains a fairly high level of consistent traffic, you might be offered to join the YouTube Partners program. If you join the program, Google will pay you a cut of the advertisement revenue made from your channel as incentive for you to keep your audience coming back and generating more ad revenue, which the channel host will benefit from.

Personally i dont know what kind of living one could make off that, but as it definitely scales up with your channel traffic, id imagine its plenty enough to make a decent living.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
saintdane05 said:
^My emediate thoughts. Most likely not as they actually work along side Bungie and now 343I. But i can't speak for machinima or other people i've seen make great works of their own stories within halo.

:/ Poor move Microsoft. Not like you're gaining money from doing this yourselves in any significant way. Nice of them to go out of the way to cause problems for others.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Yes because Microsoft in no way benefits from the proliferation of these videos in YouTube. Like how Red vs Blue series isn't even partially responsible for the continued relevance of the series in the eyes of gamers. Good work microsoft, nipping those leeches in their free Halo advertisement serving buds.

Just like how Valve hasn't benefitted from all those Gmod machima and HL2 mods that make people still salivate over HL3 despite the company refusing to even acknowledge they're developing it nearly a decade after the original Hl2 came out.