Microsoft Prohibits Gamers From Cashing in on YouTube

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Err... Why do this Microsoft?

People making montages of your games is essentially free advertising for it!

My channel is likely not going to take-off into a YouTube partnership so I guess I have no quarrel with this... Do I?

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Aerosteam 1908 said:

My channel is likely not going to take-off into a YouTube partnership so I guess I have no quarrel with this... Do I?
everyone should have a quarrel with this.

They're basically assaulting fair use, and once fair use goes out the window, fuck the internet, we may as well just bang rocks together.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
This is just childish spite. No less than I would expect from Microsoft, but still disgusting all the same. This isn't even an issue of them making money, but about preventing their own fans from getting any.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Altorin said:
Aerosteam 1908 said:

everyone should have a quarrel with this.

They're basically assaulting fair use, and once fair use goes out the window, fuck the internet, we may as well just bang rocks together.
Well, I sorta meant 'quarrel' is in this actually affecting me, but who knows.

Yep, this sucks ass. I'm going to sign that petition.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Now what was the point in that? Seriously, what the hell kind of move is that?

There is absolutely no need to do it. Microsoft doesn't get anything positive out of pulling such a move except possibly reducing the number of halo videos around ( neutralising their own free marketing) and pissing people off.

Getting a little dough for posting game clips should not be seen as a threat to their business. Stupid, stupid move. And I liked microsoft, but lately it just seems to keep getting douche-ier.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
"We want you to advertise our games for us, but, please, don't make money doing it."

saintdane05 said:
So, will this effect Red vs. Blue? It better not...
Even if they didn't have an official deal, Red vs. Blue is parody, so they could do what they wanted.

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
What is the real point of this? They don't lose money from youtube vids, it's not as if anyone will prefer to watch let's plays to actually playing the damn game, and it can't be to stop negative reviews of their games, as review sites and metacritic will be able to do that regardless. Fortunately this is only microsoft studio games that are being prohibited, and the channels I watch don't survive solely on Mircosoft studio games.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
saintdane05 said:
So, will this effect Red vs. Blue? It better not...
Red vs Blue? Probably not, as there's all kinds of special arrangements in place for it. But I could see it seriously harming other Rooster Teeth ventures, such as a good chunk of what Achievement Hunter does. We probably can say goodbye to Fails of the Weak and Achievement Pig Horse, among others. And Trials Files, because MS also publishes Trials Evolution.

This is a bad and stupid move, Microsoft.

P.S. Thanks

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Looks at article. Reads post posted to said article.

Well it's certainly swinging the cucumber in the face of those (You)tubers [Vegetable joke].

But. But, this doesn't affect me, nor 99.9% of anyone else. So a few dozen youtubers have lost their revenue streams. Now they have to get real jobs like regular people. That sucks cause I know what it's like to have a super easy job, but, real life sucks.

I just hope the lawsuits won't ruin anyones lives.

Maybe also some anti competition thingy legal mumbo or something could fix this. MS vs Google. I dono law so just "tossing meat into the shark tank". (Or by saying that do I know law... hmm)

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Agow95 said:
What is the real point of this? They don't lose money from youtube vids, it's not as if anyone will prefer to watch let's plays to actually playing the damn game, and it can't be to stop negative reviews of their games, as review sites and metacritic will be able to do that regardless. Fortunately this is only microsoft studio games that are being prohibited, and the channels I watch don't survive solely on Mircosoft studio games.
well, lots o people do prefer let's plays to playing. I am not one of those people, generally speaking, but a friend of mine certainly is..

However, it's still a dumb move, because that same friend won't go out and buy a halo game just because the halo game let's play isn't on youtube. He'll just go watch something else. Or read. He's not really a gamer. (although I certainly wouldn't say that to his face)

Ruley

Sep 3, 2010
You take the game away from Bungie and look what happens when Microsoft gets its teeth sunk into it...

But haven't they just shot themselves in the foot here? Such videos, despite making a bit on the side, would only prove to benefit 343 and thus Microsoft more with more game exposure and thus more sales? Why cap one of your most lucrative sources for new customers?

Also, Red vs Blue!? Do you guys know how much that did for Halo over the years? Is this basically a middle finger to those guys or do i see a contract between them on the horizon?

Even if they didn't have an official deal, Red vs. Blue is parody, so they could do what they wanted.
But by not using any footage from Halo 4? That would still be a major set back surely?

But actually, on the RvB note - didn't they do some initial publicity about Halo 4? A video or two about multiplayer? So RvB is safe maybe? Microsoft must understand their impact on the community enough to ask them to do those videos, so it would be stupid of them to cut them out now?

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Tiger Sora said:
Looks at article. Reads post posted to said article.

Well it's certainly swinging the cucumber in the face of those (You)tubers [Vegetable joke].

But. But, this doesn't affect me, nor 99.9% of anyone else. So a few dozen youtubers have lost their revenue streams. Now they have to get real jobs like regular people. That sucks cause I know what it's like to have a super easy job, but, real life sucks.

I just hope the lawsuits won't ruin anyones lives.

Maybe also some anti competition thingy legal mumbo or something could fix this. MS vs Google. I dono law so just "tossing meat into the shark tank". (Or by saying that do I know law... hmm)
This is basically step 1 in ruining the internet.

Roccondil

Mar 17, 2011
I thought nothing had changed... the policy on the website already stated before this change that you could not use Microsoft's assets, including Halo, to make a profit for yourself.

I am also wondering how this would impact the sharing of such content. All this "new" change does is to stop users from getting the partners' cut from YouTube advertising. It in no way restricts the uploading and sharing of the content.

And if it gets rid of the ads that play before the videos I watch on YouTube, well, then, more power to them!

Ruley

Sep 3, 2010
Tiger Sora said:
Upon reflection, i don't see many if any current youtubers loosing out on this immediately, what current microsoft games are covered under this new rule and are their still enough active channels producing such content that it would affect them? Gears of war, Halo Reach? Few years back, and games you bought under a different microsoft agreement surely? or are they mutually exclusive? It would be a bit weird though to change what you can do with an old game that you've been doing fine for a while yet, new ones i can understand i guess.

I think this would do more to put people off generating new content with new games, so if anything rather than killing off existing content creators, it would hamper new upstart ones?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Another reason EULAs shouldn't be enforceable.
Those pesky fair use laws getting in the way of your megacorp? Just have all users sign a contract under duress that is legally enforceable and demands them to sign away such rights.

laserwulf

Dec 30, 2007
I'd love to see this challenged in court. You don't sign any agreements in order to buy the game, and I'll be surprised if there's a TOS that appears whenever you start up the game. Considering that stores generally won't accept returns of video games once the wrapper has been broken, you aren't able to follow TOS instructions to return software if you don't agree to the conditions (unless MS starts directly offering refunds... lol).

What's next, Faber-Castell prohibiting you from making a profit on stories written or sketches drawn using their pencils?

Ruley

Sep 3, 2010
Hang on, this might be the biggest shot in the foot yet.

Does that mean that any gaming company that actively posts videogame reviews to YouTube, like IGN and GameSpot who get some revenue from youtube by being partners, won't be able to post their reviews? Or if they do, limit their video content to publicly available trailers and such contain none of their own gameplay experiences? Or would even using the trailers bring up a microsoft red flag?

Again, possible room for agreements or exclusions?

Jedd Crilly

Jan 25, 2012
I'm confused as to whether this would affect us in Australia? We have good copyright laws here, unlike those of you in the USA. We're allowed to use clips of video games, tv shows, and movies for Entertainment and Parody purposes.

That's legislation, and can't be overruled by a contract. Nor is US law enforceable here in Australia.

Not sure whether this would apply when income is being made off the video in question? Any other Aussies know what i'm talking about?

My suggestion. Machinima makers move to Aus (of course you have to put up with our 3rd world standard internet).

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
After being on the fence about Halo 4 for a while, I think this is reason to not buy the game. This is clearly nonsensical because the money those YouTube partners make is drawn from advertisements not Microsoft.

Also being a fan of RoosterTeeth and Achievement Hunter, I wonder how this will effect them. Will there be any Red Vs Blue shot using Halo 4? Will there be any Achievement Hunter videos detailing Easter eggs and of course achievements? Will there be any GameFail footage from Halo 4 posted?

For god sake Microsoft, pull your head out of your arses.

Ruley

Sep 3, 2010
Jedd Crilly said:
I'm confused as to whether this would affect us in Australia? We have good copyright laws here, unlike those of you in the USA. We're allowed to use clips of video games, tv shows, and movies for Entertainment and Parody purposes.

That's legislation, and can't be overruled by a contract. Nor is US law enforceable here in Australia.

Not sure whether this would apply when income is being made off the video in question? Any other Aussies know what i'm talking about?

My suggestion. Machinima makers move to Aus (of course you have to put up with our 3rd world standard internet).
I have a hunch their might be some clauses in those copyright laws that refer to making money from someone else's creation, surely? Its too obvious a question to go unanswered in the laws with a small sub section?

But i think you've hit the nail on the head - it might not come down to company location but more the location of the servers where content was hosted.

(similar example of the radical Muslim cleric abuhamza (SP?) recently getting deported from the UK for hosting an extremist website. Despite residing and carrying out the crimes in the UK, the website was hosted on an American server, so the Americans want to prosecute him.)