Microsoft Rep Slams PS3 and Killzone 2

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
ColdStorage said:
D_987 said:
Hasn't this already been posted...and he's paid to be a fanboy, who really cares about this "news"?.
I do, although it is a bit redundant in a "Kotaku" sort of news article, but its fun finding out how moronic and childish the people are that work for the games industry.

Its why Gaming will never be considered proper art medium by the fagmasexuals, if the people who create games and look after them are so fucking immature why should the higher ups regard us as anything but cretins?.
Celebraties act imature and get high on weed all the time, yet movies and TV are still a respected medium. I'm pretty sure the games created by the developers are the things that are going to be respected first. Consoles just host them, just like how TV monitors show the TV shows.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Jumplion said:
ColdStorage said:
D_987 said:
Hasn't this already been posted...and he's paid to be a fanboy, who really cares about this "news"?.
I do, although it is a bit redundant in a "Kotaku" sort of news article, but its fun finding out how moronic and childish the people are that work for the games industry.

Its why Gaming will never be considered proper art medium by the fagmasexuals, if the people who create games and look after them are so fucking immature why should the higher ups regard us as anything but cretins?.
Celebraties act imature and get high on weed all the time, yet movies and TV are still a respected medium. I'm pretty sure the games created by the developers are the things that are going to be respected first. Consoles just host them, just like how TV monitors show the TV shows.
Yeah but that is celebraties, its like comparing Lindsey Lohan to Kratos or Master Chief, they are the front man with dillussions of grandeur.

The creators and managers very rarely get into arguements while high on coke in clubs, possibly because they aren't as high profile as them, but still they dont go looking for trouble, while the gaming industry does go after trouble.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Leaning on sales numbers is usually a pretty poor way to prove a point
What about the point "we have a sound business model" or more specific ones like "yes, you can make old people buy consoles"? Sales numbers are data and one of the most important forms of data (namely THE result of the whole business stuff though maybe profits are a bit better as a point there). They show how many people actually decided that the product on offer is one they should spend their money on.

Jeronus said:
Nintendo is the elephant in the room. It seems the Sony and Microsoft have decided to all but ignore the giant beast and go on bashing each other. It is really pathetic when you think about it.
I think MS and Sony are not the only ones and they may even be trying to push others into the same ignorance to position themselves better. By painting it as a PS3 vs 360 war it looks like they actually have a chance to win but in reality they're fighting a battle for a small section of the market that is becoming less and less profitable, like fighting a territorial war over an ice shelf. Of course it's easy for the two of them to look big to us and the gaming media in general, we're all stuck in their imploding universe and all going down together.

Jumplion said:
And really? 2%? Just 2%? He's grasping straws here, that's like, what, a thousand or so, that's not a HUGE dip that he's claiming it is.
It is serious, the sales are supposed to go UP, not down. The Wii had a growth of something like 50% IIRC. Even 0% growth would have been fairly disastrous.

Jumplion said:
The thing is though, Nintendo is going through a completely different market than either Sony and Microsoft. That isn't to say that we shouldn't count them in the race, maybe in cumulative sales, but you can't directly compare them when they all target very different audiences. And when I think about it, the Wii is a pretty good compliment to one of the other two. Get a 360 and Wii, you're good. Get a PS3 and Wii, you're good. Hell, throw in a good gaming PC with either of those and you'r pretty much set.

If you want to compare their sales, sure, include the Wii, but you can't directly compare them when they target different demographics and different approaches to them.
I think that's a load of bull honkey, they're still competing for the same pool of developers and customers. That the PS3 and 360 have zero presence in the Wii's new market and the Wii has only a weak one in the core market doesn't mean they aren't competing, they're just not attacking strongly. The PS3 and 360 made some half-assed attempts at encroaching on the Wii's territory (but who needs a full power HD console for a game about hitting the notes displayed as icons on the screen?) while the Wii is constantly trying to grab the core market from under the other two but has a fairly low number of games in there.

Rath709

Mar 18, 2008
I can't speak for the other stores in our chain here in the UK, but we haven't sold a PS3 since early january, and we hardly shifted any over the holiday period. They just sit there on the shelf doing nothing. It's quite sad.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
KDR_11k said:
Jumplion said:
And really? 2%? Just 2%? He's grasping straws here, that's like, what, a thousand or so, that's not a HUGE dip that he's claiming it is.
It is serious, the sales are supposed to go UP, not down. The Wii had a growth of something like 50% IIRC. Even 0% growth would have been fairly disastrous.

Jumplion said:
The thing is though, Nintendo is going through a completely different market than either Sony and Microsoft. That isn't to say that we shouldn't count them in the race, maybe in cumulative sales, but you can't directly compare them when they all target very different audiences. And when I think about it, the Wii is a pretty good compliment to one of the other two. Get a 360 and Wii, you're good. Get a PS3 and Wii, you're good. Hell, throw in a good gaming PC with either of those and you'r pretty much set.

If you want to compare their sales, sure, include the Wii, but you can't directly compare them when they target different demographics and different approaches to them.
I think that's a load of bull honkey, they're still competing for the same pool of developers and customers. That the PS3 and 360 have zero presence in the Wii's new market and the Wii has only a weak one in the core market doesn't mean they aren't competing, they're just not attacking strongly. The PS3 and 360 made some half-assed attempts at encroaching on the Wii's territory (but who needs a full power HD console for a game about hitting the notes displayed as icons on the screen?) while the Wii is constantly trying to grab the core market from under the other two but has a fairly low number of games in there.
Nobody is expecting the PS3 to sell more and more and more. It's common knowledge that its the least selling of the group, so a 2% loss isn't out of the range of what people expect. Any percentage of loss is bad, but nobody ever expeted a 50% increase from them in the first place. I will give you that it is bad, but not the way this MS rep is trying to sensaionalize it.

And for the part that I bolded, that's exactly why you can't compare the PS3/360 to the Wii, at least directly. They target completely different markets so you're comparing apples to oranges. I'm not saying you can't count them in the race, of course you can, but compared to the other consoles the Wii is a entirely different beast both hardware wise and software wise.

Besides, we all know that the Ps3 and 360 are competing for 2nd place, why do we care if Nintendo is up in 1st? We know they're there, so let the others have their fun.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Jumplion said:
And for the part that I bolded, that's exactly why you can't compare the PS3/360 to the Wii, at least directly. They target completely different markets so you're comparing apples to oranges. I'm not saying you can't count them in the race, of course you can, but compared to the other consoles the Wii is a entirely different beast both hardware wise and software wise.
No, completely different markets would be if their userbases were disjunct. They have their strengths in different markets but the Wii is still making a stand in the core market and thus competing directly with the other two consoles in that arena. That doesn't look like completely different to me.

Besides, we all know that the Ps3 and 360 are competing for 2nd place, why do we care if Nintendo is up in 1st? We know they're there, so let the others have their fun.
It's just something that has to be remembered when talking about the PS360 battle. Some people act like once Sony overtakes MS they've won and generally any argument about the PS3 and 360's qualities always nets a comparison to the other, never a comparison to the Wii. When people complain about PSN the counterarguments will center on XBL, when people complain about KZ2 the counterarguments will be about Halo or GoW or whatever. It's in part because the people who argue online tend to be of the hardcore variety and focus only on the things they consider interesting. One should always keep in mind that console discussions on the internet are out of touch with the reality of the situation.

whyarecarrots

Nov 19, 2008
*feels smug sitting at a PC watching with amusement the various goings on of the console 'war'*

All joking aside though, this is starting to get slightly ridiculous....

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
KDR_11k said:
Jumplion said:
No, completely different markets would be if their userbases were disjunct. They have their strengths in different markets but the Wii is still making a stand in the core market and thus competing directly with the other two consoles in that arena. That doesn't look like completely different to me.
That may be, but that doesn't make the Wii automatically comparable to the other two consoles. The Wii may have some "hardcore" games (MadWorld and the Coduit come to mind) but that's not their target audience. Those games aren't even made by Nintendo, I believe they're made by SEGA.

Just like how having LittleBigPlanet and VivaPiniata doesn't automatically mean that the PS3/360 are catering to the casuals, just because the Wii has a few gory bloody games does not mean that it's targeing the "hardcore".

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Jeronus said:
Nintendo is the elephant in the room. It seems the Sony and Microsoft have decided to all but ignore the giant beast and go on bashing each other. It is really pathetic when you think about it.
All anyone needs to do on this thread is read this man's post.
No fanboy battling necessary, as Sony slams other people too.
If you're curious, search the Escapist for "Sony Wii" and read the news articles.

Indigo Dingo, I know you will jump on this, so fair warning: we duked it out before on a similar thread. It'll be a waste of our time to do so again. Everyone knows that the man is a MS henchman, flaunting his company's lead over Sony's. Therefore, his opinion doesn't even matter.

t_rexaur

Feb 14, 2008
It's always funny to see the M$ and Sony excs mouth off about the other's failings.

Nintendo doesn't seem to care, possibly because they're earning more money in a month than they've made in the last 8 years.

Also why do people look at games like Madworld to appeal to the hardcore and not, say, Mario Kart? Or is it too cutesy for people to admit they might like?

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
I guess he's doing his job. Maybe next time he could make a clever pun out of the PS3. And paint Bill Gates rulez on his chest. Now that would make these interesting, so I guess he won't.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
It'd be nice if the people at Microsoft didn't act exactly like their sterotyped owner. Fanboy nonsense like this just makes me want to sell my 360 even more. Stupid Mass Effect 2.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Neither Xbox 360 or PS3 have blast processing, so who has the bragging rights? C'mon now.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Jumplion said:
That may be, but that doesn't make the Wii automatically comparable to the other two consoles. The Wii may have some "hardcore" games (MadWorld and the Coduit come to mind) but that's not their target audience. Those games aren't even made by Nintendo, I believe they're made by SEGA.

Just like how having LittleBigPlanet and VivaPiniata doesn't automatically mean that the PS3/360 are catering to the casuals, just because the Wii has a few gory bloody games does not mean that it's targeing the "hardcore".
We are not arguing about targeting, we are arguing about competing (besides, it doesn't have to be gory to be core, Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing, etc are all core). It doesn't matter who they're targeting, as long as there's a reasonable overlap in their pools of potential customers they are competing.

Indigo_Dingo said:
t_rexaur said:
Also why do people look at games like Madworld to appeal to the hardcore and not, say, Mario Kart? Or is it too cutesy for people to admit they might like?
Because they took any skill element out of Mario Kart, which was everyones problem with it.
Which goes to show HOW LITTLE the internet whiners matter.