Microsoft Responds to 360 Failure Rate Survey

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Machines Are Us said:
GonzoGamer said:
Machines Are Us said:
I bought my 360 second hand and it got the RROD as well as a faulty disc drive. I had it replaced with a brand new one within a week of sending it off as well as a free month of Live so I wasn't complaining.

Only an addict can seriously ***** about a week off of their console, it's good for you in many ways, especially if you played it too much like I did.
I'm glad I waited on getting a 360. You guys sound like a bunch of battered housewives: "Yes the 360 set my room on fire and beat me senseless but don't blame MS, I was asking for it. It was good for me; I was being too needy."
It's okay MachinesRUs, it's not your fault.

Yea, I guess the rrod was a parental incentive program: "hey moms & dads, now your kid will HAVE to go for a couple of weeks without video games." That seriously is the weirdest excuse I've heard yet.
I didn't say it was justified in any way, you are putting words in my mouth which I would prefer you didn't.

Read my post again before giving such an idiotic reply, I shall dumb it down, but I really shouldn't have to.

I bought an Xbox 360 second hand - usually a bad idea to do with electronics.
It was faulty - this is bad.
I got a brand new one for free - I basically got a brand new xbox and a free month of online play for the price of a second hand one.

Simple enough for you?
I wasn't putting words in anyones mouth, I was letting my perspective of the situation known. Ask your avatar, he would understand.

I think you misunderstand me. I wasn't making fun of you for buying a broken machine; I almost bought one myself, I was making fun of you for justifying the fact that MS sells faulty machinery by saying that it breaking was (and I quote you) "good for you."
That IS something a battered housewife would say after getting donkey-punched.

The fact that the hardware is crap isn't a reflection on you until you start justifying it as if you made it. Don't just send it back and say that time away from your games is good for you; that's absurd. If everyone has that attitude, we'll be sure to see faulty machinery out of any company that wants to get their console on the shelves before the competition.

CoziestPigeon

Oct 6, 2008
Capo Taco said:
"one of the best warranties" this could mean third best, putting them behind the curve. I love nonsense statements.
But it is the best. Anything goes wrong, all you have to do is call them and complain and boom, free xbox. Whereas I have a friend with a ps3, a while ago he installed the new updates for the console, and that caused it to stop reading discs. After months of struggling with the customer service phone line, he is finally getting it fixed for $200. Now THAT is shitty customer service/warranty.

bluepilot

Jul 10, 2009
After the perils of going through microsoft word, excel, and powerpoint. I certainly would never buy a game console made by them.

Not to mention that when my computer has a problem they always ask me `do you want to report`. No, of course I do not want to report, I just want to get on with what I was doing before the problem arose.

A good game system or console, is one that you put a disk in, and never fails. I was always put of buying an x-box because I am not very good at computers and it seemed like, having been made by mircosoft, problems were likely to arise and if I problem arose I would be screwed.

It seems that my instincts were correct. Thank goodness for good-old cartridge games.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
Hypothetically speaking, if one of three 360 owners encountered the RROD, but the one defective unit was replaced 3 times, what does that make the failure rate at? The correct answer is... not 33%. ;-)

Nobody knows what the failure rate is and even if Microsoft released the official numbers it would be even higher over time when counting a single unit over a very modest 5 year life cycle. I'm thinking the failure rate is very, very high... and 50% is more accurate. I mean, engineering grads were critical of the design when it was first released. So unless schools are teaching the wrong things in computer hardware heat dissipation design, the failure rate will only increase as time goes on. The problem is largely due to the design... and cheaper components will fail quicker in high heat conditions, but eventually, even expensive components will fail under high temperatures.

hansari

May 31, 2009
More Fun To Compute said:
Machines Are Us said:
Only an addict can seriously ***** about a week off of their console, it's good for you in many ways, especially if you played it too much like I did.
We should thank Microsoft for being really bad at making consumer electronics because it gives us a chance to interact with their lovely customer service personnel and gives us a nice break from gaming? Please.
I can actually see where More Fun to Compute is coming from. I've never had a problem, but when my friends 360 went in for repairs, his brothers couldn't keep it together. They acted like they had nothing else to do.

(I'm actually suspicious that his brothers playing GTA4 for nearly 8hrs straight every day contributed to its breakdown)

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
I had one RROD failure, replaced under warranty at no charge and with a one-month extension of my Live account. I also earlier had a faulty power cord that caused my Gears of War disc to skip, replaced over-the-counter by the retailer at no charge. (The game disc was also replaced for free.)

I suppose I should be miffed at the failures, but the rest of the two-and-a-half years I've owned it my 360 has been rock-solid reliable and has been a lot of fun, plus I'm not out-of-pocket any further than I'd be had the console never failed. So in the end I can't get too upset.

-- Steve

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Baby Tea said:
Well I'm on my 3rd 360, but I love it.
I only paid for the first replacement, and the 2nd one was within warranty.

I do wish, though, that Microsoft did actually respond with Tom's sum up.
Looks like we'll have to wait for the PR team to get a little tipsy before that'll happen, though.
Wait...you paid for your first replacement? Damn. My friends Xbox was one of the earlier (and I believe recalled) models and it finally red ringed and he paid nothing. Then he got an Elite. And he keeps his replacement until his Elite red rings.

On topic-I don't love my 360. Hell, I play it for about 30 mins then I got back to either SSBB or The Conduit. But it does have it's uses like Netflix!

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
Considering I got mine repaired for free after getting a Red Ring, I don't think it matters that much. I believe they are much better now anyway. At least they've said something about it though.

jibjab963

Sep 16, 2008
Machines Are Us said:
I bought my 360 second hand and it got the RROD as well as a faulty disc drive. I had it replaced with a brand new one within a week of sending it off as well as a free month of Live so I wasn't complaining.

For most of us it took way more than a week. It took about a month to replace mine. And I am on my 4th xbox. But hey I got a total of 4 free months of Xbox live.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
I never did understand how some people can enjoy a console breaking on them up to 5-6 times. I guess the 360 community just has immense patience. I have to applaud that. I got pissed the first time it happened.
That and it's only happened to me once and they replaced it despite the fact that I wasn't within warranty. And they replaced it for free. It's not just the patience for me but the fact that they didn't have to extend me any sort of courtesy for my RROD problem but they did (and did so to others)

Kellerb

Jan 20, 2009
their basically pointing away and running with this statement. SHOW SOME DAMN RESPONSIBILITY DAMMIT!

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Kellerb said:
their basically pointing away and running with this statement. SHOW SOME DAMN RESPONSIBILITY DAMMIT!
I kinda thought they did already with the warranty extensions.

-- Steve

fenixrising

Mar 11, 2009
one of the richest men in the world sells you a poorly made box of tricks with a 50/50 chance of breaking and you all lap it up like crackheads on giro day
they offer to fix what should not be broken in the first place, and people take a moment from sucking the corporate cock to say thanks and still praise the fucking thing
go consumer power (by the way thats fucking sarcasm)

between me and 2 mates we have bought 8 360's
well M$ can go fuck themselves

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Onmi said:
Durahan2 said:
Well I've had a xbox 360 since launch, it hadn't red ringed yet. So I can't immage the pain you all must go through. Then again I can totally see this a ps3 fantard's playground, and then the xbox fanbois will just defend it rabidly. Sigh, effectivelu making gamers everywhere look bad.
Hello you must be legally blind! I must day that is the first time I have ever heard the escapist considered Pro-PS3 when general concesus on the net is that it's Pro-360. I say general concensus but in they end they are just reporting news so it's in everyones heads, the community ITSELF is a majority of X-box owners so yeah this is the first time I've heard this one.

AceDiamond said:
Pendragon9 said:
I never did understand how some people can enjoy a console breaking on them up to 5-6 times. I guess the 360 community just has immense patience. I have to applaud that. I got pissed the first time it happened.
That and it's only happened to me once and they replaced it despite the fact that I wasn't within warranty. And they replaced it for free. It's not just the patience for me but the fact that they didn't have to extend me any sort of courtesy for my RROD problem but they did (and did so to others)
Ah but having a good Warrenty does not = quality. Trust me Sony could give me $100 in cash along with replace my PS3 if it broke and they would still be on a Three Strikes your Out rule. This is the equivilent of your signifgant other beating you with a lead pipe then taking you to hospital and comforting you until your fully healed, then gearing up to pipe you again. There is no BUT, no IF

And for gods sake people "Me and MY friends haven't had it happen" well guess what

YOU.
ARE.
THE.
MINORITY.

here are millions of 360s out there your hardly the majority.

for emphasis "YOU: MINORITY"
Yeah and the survey was of 1,000 360 users, also a minority. What is your point? That you're racist against small numbers? Seriously what kind of answer is that? And the three strikes thing only makes sense if, say, my 360 had broken 3 times (which we've established it hasn't).

I was only offering explanations from my personal experience, which you seemed to take as me touting the invincibility of public relations or some other crazy shit, or even worse, instigating that I don't think this kind of thing happens. I know it does, I'm not questioning the study.

And as I explained, I had no warranty. They did not have any sort of obligation to fix my 360, much less for free. So learn to read and come back when you can formulate an argument that makes sense.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
I've been through 8 360's, never had to pay for a replacement, never had to wait more than 7 days for one. All bar 3 have been straight swaps.

Go customer service, I guess.

Wouldn't it be nice if the next gen both works AND is good, unlike this gen?