Microsoft Wants to Kill Internet Explorer 6 Too

Nexus4

Jul 13, 2010
I feel like one of the only people using Opera, so maybe this can get us a few new users.

FirmartheTrilby

Sep 13, 2010
I would never though that something like this would really matter but from what I read here it seems like a lot of people and even some escapist users use IE... All I got to say WOW... I would never imagine so much people would use IE. No offence guys I just simply don't like it.

TikiShades

May 6, 2009
The worst part is that some computers at my school still use the Internet Explorer without the gold ring. What is that, IE1? Feels like it. Damn thing doesn't support anything, including Google Docs. :mad:

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
...I'm a little surprised by a lot of these responses...
As far as I'm concerned, IE6 was the best browser Microsoft ever put out. It was light, stable, and it still supports all of the code you can find out there.
Not that I use it. Chrome does all of the same things plus plugins and tabs.

Still, since 6, IE has gone nowhere but downhill.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
In the case of China, most people are not computer savvy AT ALL. They use it to chat, watch movies, songs etc etc. But the computer security is almost non existent or with big back doors built in. People don't 'push' themselves and are basically unaware of Firefox, Chorme. These products don't advertise here much.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
Good luck! Here at work we JUST upgraded to IE7. By the time we get around to IE9 we'll all be browsing with our cybernetic implants.

On the plus side, we aren't part of the IE6 statistic anymore...

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I'm impressed IE6 has lasted this long, XP I can understand but IE6?

Off-Topic: I found this topics position on the forum rather amusing.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
I'm currently working for a British Government department, the job market is crap ok - I don't like working for the Tories either, and they still use IE6.

In fact IE6 was the only browser available on the systems my department use, until last month when Firefox was added. Still, you have to use IE6 to access a few specific applications - including a database of every single British citizens personal data.

Because you know, IE6 is just wonderful for security!

We are only allowed to use Firefox for web browsing on breaks or for research. I'm glad this contract ends this month.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
switched from IE7 to Chrome in January, and have never looked back. Firefox works really awkward and i would say its the more technical browser ive seen, whereas Chrome is piss-simple and works great.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Whenever I'm infront of a computer the first thing I do is update Internet explorer. Regular people lack such knowledge of the advantages of tabs and all the other functions that comes from updated Internet explorer and even other browser systems. I don't knock anybody for not knowing it though. There are many rules that bind computers from being tampered with even if it's system updates. Also people are afraid of the computer. experimentation with computer software is like messing with an atom bomb to the uninitiated.

I'm going to make so much money from people like them.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
People seem to think that China and other countries still use the browser because the people are dumb. Excuse me while I go outside and scream at the heavens at the ethnocentrism of that *walks out* *distant shouts* *comes back* thank you.

China has quiet a lot of people using old technology because its cheap or they can't access new technology as well as that whole censorship thing. I wonder how this factors into these numbers? I also wonder how cultural traditions and values factor into a possible reluctant to change. Unless Microsoft launches a team of sociologist or anthropologist in China to investigate I doubt if there website is going to do anything since there must be some deeper root to this non-sense then just dumb or lazy people. On top of that, why doesn't Microsoft just drop support? Are they worried that they might offend someone or offending there customers? Do they really think the guy using IE 6 is a big spender or something? If you drop support they'll change or die. It's that simple.