Microsoft Wants to Kill Internet Explorer 6 Too

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
IE 6 is used by my school D: If it is desotryed... no more beaking off class and watching sexual material! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

No just kidding, good riddance I hope to that god awful browser.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
This isn't a case about stupidity, it's a case about most people really not giving a shit. Most people have little knowledge of different browswers and if it shows a webpage it works well enough for them. Hence it seems bizarre that some people seem to feel superior because they use Firefox or whatever. Most people simply don't give a rat's arse about computer programs.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
1.4% here!

People mostly use it because they don't know alternatives and don't like changes (old people), also it is used in schools and other badly funded institutions.

...Why people don't switch to Chrome? Because they're intelligent enough to know that Opera kicks all the asses!

Sud0_x

Dec 16, 2009
SelectivelyEvil13 said:
If I'm using IE anything, it's a sad day for me regarding internet usage.

I use Firefox 3.6-something because (with my chosen add-ons) it works decently, but more importantly, has an excellent interface with tab colors and organization, for example. Nevertheless, I feel like Firefox 3.0 has been rather sluggish and bloated compared to version 2.0.

Chrome's my backup for speed, but I honestly dislike the comparatively barren (simple, woopity doo!) interface and the top-mounted tabs. With the later point in mind, Firefox 4.0 (Beta) can shove off until I know there is alternative configuration because I could just use Chrome if I wanted that.

Older IE models would likely make me throw things...

ReCaptcha: You fail at words, damn you!
Don't be put off by the 4.0 beta, the top mounted tabs and new "Firefox button" thingy threw me off at first too, it only takes a couple minutes to get things to your tastes. They changed up the UI in the new version, it happens.

I was going to post a screenshot of my setup but it seems I've forgotten my login info for my image hosting..

Anyway if you right-click on the toolbar uncheck "tabs on top" and hey presto! Your tabs are back where they belong, similarly check or uncheck the selection "Menu Bar" to switch between the new one button setup and the old "File, Edit, View etc" menus.
You can also click "Customize" and from here you may drag and drop any button/toolbar/item you so choose and either move it to your tastes or banish it to the hidden customization menu.
You can add a new toolbar to the bottom, sides, wherever you please. You can pretty much rearrange the whole deal.
(Also there's those sweet personas)

The little star icon next to my open tabs is my bookmark menu, I like my simplistic setup

Once it's out of Beta, in any case, your add-ons should be brought up to date so you can continue to use your browser of choice to your liking

-Live long and prosper

Zefar

May 11, 2009
8bitlove2a03 said:
I still don't understand how people haven't switched to Chrome. It's the fastest browser I've seen, it's clean-looking, and most people don't really need half the add-ons they need for Firefox anyways.
When I gave Chrome a try the first time it was in beta and plenty of people said how fast it was I didn't really notice a difference. Opera had been that fast for me for quite a good while.

As for Chromes features, they lack mouse gestures which is why I don't use it.

As for IE6. How is it possible to still be on that version? :/ Didn't that exist like 6 or so years ago?
But man if people still use IE6 and doesn't update, gotta suck.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
I use Chrome at home (wow, that rhymed). I still use IE5 (I think, not sure, but it's old and doesn't have multi-tab support) when I need to access my corporate e-mail. For some reason the outlook site doesn't render properly with chrome.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
I really don't know why you'd even use such a piece of crap browser anyway.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
BlindMessiah94 said:
I miss Netscape.

But really 1% is too much for any version of IE.

I hate going on to a friends comp when they need something fixed and seeing IE as their only browser.
As they say, IE is the BEST BROWSER... For downloading other browsers.

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
I like to live dangerously so its Internet Explorer for me.

In all honesty I havn't had any trouble with the recent incarnations other than a virus that got through once, after which I switched to firefox which was noticeably slower to start up gave me the same damn virus from the same damn site, to which I proclaimed, "MORE SECURE MY ASS!" Soon after, Internet Explorer proceeded to update itself and not be vulnerable, while firefox did not.

But using IE6 is just moronic. Lazy business and the computer illiterate are doing bad things to the interwebs. Well not really...its mostly only them that suffer. Though IE9 probably isn't the best idea considering the stability of 7 and 8 when they were first released.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Nouw said:
Fuck yeah Google Chrome all the way.

I heard that IE9 is worth a little something but I can't use it. Can anyone confirm it? And as someone pointed out, 400 million people aren't going to suddenly stop using it.
I tried using Google Chrome. It may be fast, but the thing is barren when it comes to all the gadgets and gizmos that I use in Firefox.

Google: Fast

Firefox: The Steady Workhorse.

With how much word spreads about how bad security is on the Internet Explorers, I'm surprised people even use them. I browse with Firefox everyday and nothing happens, but every time for some stupid reason I have to use an Internet Explorer, my virus scanner picks up a virus not long after.

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
I like my IE..for some stupid reason. Meh, I'm not changing it now. I don't really have a need to because it's still working just fine.

sune-ku

Cynical optimist
Mar 25, 2009
Its about time... I know there's all the businesses that don't want of upgrade because of the costs, but the extra development needed to try and make modern sites IE6 compatible is ridiculous, messy and time-consuming.

In fact it actually means that people end up paying more for less when they get a site made and insist on it working in IE6 and it's actually holding back the web as a whole because the latest stuff can't be used large scale as it doesn't work in IE.

/rant

QUINTIX

May 16, 2008
IE6 usage is highest in Saudi Arabia, Korea, Japan, China...
places where internet cafes are popular. The #1 reason why IE6 is still around is locked down terminals that cannot be updated. Just go to your local library and try changing the screen resolution to the nativ res of the attached monitor. You may even have the same problem in your place of business or school.

Edit: I'm using the Internet Explore 9 beta right now, and I'm proud of it.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Sud0_x said:
SelectivelyEvil13 said:

I use Firefox 3.6-something because (with my chosen add-ons) it works decently, but more importantly, has an excellent interface with tab colors and organization, for example. Nevertheless, I feel like Firefox 3.0 has been rather sluggish and bloated compared to version 2.0.

Chrome's my backup for speed, but I honestly dislike the comparatively barren (simple, woopity doo!) interface and the top-mounted tabs. With the later point in mind, Firefox 4.0 (Beta) can shove off until I know there is alternative configuration because I could just use Chrome if I wanted that.

Don't be put off by the 4.0 beta, the top mounted tabs and new "Firefox button" thingy threw me off at first too, it only takes a couple minutes to get things to your tastes. They changed up the UI in the new version, it happens.

I was going to post a screenshot of my setup but it seems I've forgotten my login info for my image hosting..

Anyway if you right-click on the toolbar uncheck "tabs on top" and hey presto! Your tabs are back where they belong, similarly check or uncheck the selection "Menu Bar" to switch between the new one button setup and the old "File, Edit, View etc" menus.
You can also click "Customize" and from here you may drag and drop any button/toolbar/item you so choose and either move it to your tastes or banish it to the hidden customization menu.
You can add a new toolbar to the bottom, sides, wherever you please. You can pretty much rearrange the whole deal.

The little star icon next to my open tabs is my bookmark menu, I like my simplistic setup

Once it's out of Beta, in any case, your add-ons should be brought up to date so you can continue to use your browser of choice to your liking

-Live long and prosper
Thank you friend! I was afraid Mozilla went overboard Chrome-mode, but that is very reassuring.

Is it any faster or better at multi-tasking? I'm still going to wait a bit until some of my favorite add-ons are compatible because I can't go without a session manager now for accidental exit-outs or crashes.

This talk now has me thinking back about IE6... not add-on glory? No comparable customization? No thanks... Microsoft killing that is not some crime like trying to kill XP with Vista. *shudders*

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Sonic Doctor said:
Never really found the appeal of gadgets, extras and such. I really am a simplistic person for browsers!

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
IE6 still has a share because much of the world's web browsing is done at work, and lazy IT guys refuse to let employees install modern browsers on their work machines. Way back when people thought that this shitty browser was going to be around forever, idiot programmers wrote commercial web-apps that work with IE6 and nothing else. Now they're locked in, because most of those programmers have gone on to other fields and are no longer around to upgrade the godawful software, so people are still stuck using IE6.

There are also, of course, the people who don't know what a browser is and think the blue 'e' on their desktop is the button that turns on the internet.

Sud0_x

Dec 16, 2009
SelectivelyEvil13 said:
Sud0_x said:
SelectivelyEvil13 said:

-Live long and prosper
Thank you friend! I was afraid Mozilla went overboard Chrome-mode, but that is very reassuring.

Is it any faster or better at multi-tasking? I'm still going to wait a bit until some of my favorite add-ons are compatible because I can't go without a session manager now for accidental exit-outs or crashes.

This talk now has me thinking back about IE6... not add-on glory? No comparable customization? No thanks... Microsoft killing that is not some crime like trying to kill XP with Vista. *shudders*
No problem, like I said, I had similar feelings to your own but they were quashed soon after.
I'm over my download cap at the moment so I can't comment on speed (I get cut to 1/10th of my connection speed when over, it's awful)
I do recall benchmark figures shown on the Mozilla page after I downloaded the Beta, supposedly it's x amount of times faster than x
I can't find the page but it claimed to be the fastest version yet (Which has little meaning in the oversaturated technological world of today).
I've never had any issues with Firefox slowing down under heavy use, I often run 10+ tabs at a time, video included and it doesn't stutter or lock up. Also, for a beta I've not had any problems with it in over a week, 6-8 hours a day. My browser use is pretty much based entirely on personal preference, except when it comes to IE, I've still got IE8 installed and whenever some noxious thing decides to load something in it it takes an age to start up.
It can pretty much go die in a fire[footnote]Apologies to anyone who has lost a browser to a fire, I meant no harm[/footnote]

EDIT
I have got to stop solving things right AFTER I post!
Here's the link:[link]http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/beta/features/[/link]
Supposedly it's 3-5x faster than the latest 3.6

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
The reason many companies are still using older versions of IE is simply money. As long as it still runs they are not gonna rewrite their applications, because it would cost them money.