Microsoft Wants to Kill Internet Explorer 6 Too

Thee Prisoner

Apr 28, 2010
acutekat said:
I liked IE (latest version though not 6), I liked the soul crushing mediocrity of it all, but it physically stopped working. Stopped loading pages threw up error messages that didn't do anything. Told me IE explore had crashed but it kept on working. I eventually gave it up. Moved to opera as I had been using OperaTor to get around firewalls and I haven't really looked back, but I really wish we could get some x64 browsers with flash.
64 bit flash is available. Go to the Adobe Flash website and download it.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I once had to work with a very large company who refused to upgrade to ie6 because "its too much hassle". :(

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
RyanKaufman said:
I use IE8. I'll never use Firefox because to me it's just slower and less compatible with just about everything I do, so it adds more work to be done. As for Google Chrome and Netscape, I don't like Google Chrome, and Netscape was very nice, I just grew tired of two seperate browsers and stuck to IE.
wow, someone using IE while actually preferring it to Chrome and FF, I'm genuinely flabberghasted o_O

loltrolling aside, I use FF myself. I know Chrome is lighter and maybe faster, but every now and then I need GreaseMonkey..If I didn't, I'd probably be using Chrome

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
My name is Fiction said:
Netscape?
That still exist?
My Grandmother was using it to send emails two years ago before it inevitably caught a nasty virus. I assume there are others.

OT: People should really not use these ancient programs... The security holes are too numerous to count. It surprises me just how many people apparently do use it.

Myself? I moved to Firefox and I've stuck with it. But the moment Firefox stops being what I like it for I'll move to Chrome or whatever superior browser develops. But I'll be entrenched until Mozilla stops updating.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Probably the only piece of software that should have come with a kill switch.

Another way to kill it would be for web developers to stop support, trying to make things work right in IE6 is always a horrid undertaking, if they replaced that with a notification that upgrades are needed it might push people in the right direction.

snave

Nov 10, 2009
Hope there's a Korean version. IE6 is a pre-requisite for the major hubs like Naver and Daum as well as internet banking and state-run websites the country-over.

mtarzaim

Dec 15, 2010
It's sad some people here doesn't seem to understand why IE6 is still used to this day.

Like a few have already pointed out, it's a matter of money.
Because IE6 is the only Microsoft browser still working under Windows 2000, which was the successor of Windows NT, which was the only viable alternative for professionnal network back in 2000.

Lots of entreprises, mainly public ones, which still use Windows 2000, can't get anything new thanks to Microsoft for keeping new versions to newer Windows (Office 2007 isn't supported under Windows 2000).

When you have hundreds of computers, with dozens of critical applications specifically written for this environnement, you won't throw everything out the window to keep up the pace.
Not only it will drain massive amount of money, but you will be unenable to work efficiently during the process.
It's a several years planning we're speaking of.
With lots of uncertainties along...

And of course, it is even more out of the question for less wealthy compagnies or countries.
Did you know that typing a document in a wordprocessor is still a luxury in some regions of Africa?
And Microsoft wants to force all those people who make barely enough to eat, to invest into a brand new system worthy of a whole life salary?

All those people would be happy to use IE9 or Firefox 4 or Google Chrome.
Problem is, either those are unavailable for their old system (Windows 2000 or earlier), or they run too slowly to be efficient.
And don't tell them to go Ubuntu, Windows 2000 is still faster on a older rig (P4, 256 MB).

Half the world hasn't the funding to please Microsoft.
Sadly he doesn't give a sh*t...

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
I would say to just get rid of ALL Internet Explorer as well as all other crappy browsers....Which right on the top of the list is Googles Chrome....what a POS.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
While they're at it they should campaign to kill IE7 and IE8, unfortunately they are stubborn about not bringing IE9 to WinXP. Internet Explorer is holding the web back with the most inefficient update mechanisms ever that AREN'T going to make anyone switch to Win7.

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
Of the four 'big' browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari and IE9) none is specifically better or worse than the rest. Of course certain browsers excel in certain fields (and IE has the limitation that it only runs on Windows) people should just use whatever they're the most comfortable with. Even though Chrome apperantely is faster and supporting more interesting features, I still highly prefer Firefox because I'm used to it and like the user interface.

IE6 might not even be such a horrible browser for casual users. As long as they can visit the sites they want with it, there won't be much incentive for them to change.

For web developpers on the other hand, IE6 is absolutely abominable. The browser ignores all standards and just does things its own horrifically buggy way. There is no guarantee that your HTML and CSS will turn out looking the way it should, even if you follow IE6's specification by the letter. You'll always have to keep tweaking random values until the end result looks like it is supposed to.

Because of this, web developpers that still haven't dropped support for this browser will have to waste a lot of time on making two versions of their websites: one for the 'normal' standard-abiding browsers and one for the demented mess that is IE6.

klasbo

Nov 17, 2009
Gogo Norway & Finland! We're <1%!

Also, HTML 5 is incoming. Quick, hop on the bandwagon before it becomes mainstream! /hipster

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Eh. It comes built in with most any microsoft computer, which is nice. I mean, I use firefox (I dont see much point in switching to Chrome as both are basically the same) but I still have an internet explorer on my comp (for no real reason other then if I lost it and my comp needed wiped clean and everything re installed, I'd have to have it re-uploaded, which the place I go to charges money for.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
I miss Netscape.

But really 1% is too much for any version of IE.

I hate going on to a friends comp when they need something fixed and seeing IE as their only browser.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Interesting, I wonder what the social, economic, and cultural reason for this are. Lack of money? Suspicion of new technology? Government control? Collective ideology? I must know, somebody get a plane ticket to china!

Microsoft should just kill support right now. When the thing starts to fall apart and no one cares people will upgrade or die and this really is just a laziness factor, they will change and if its economical, I doubt Microsoft was earning that much money off them anyways.

8bitlove2a03

Mar 25, 2010
I still don't understand how people haven't switched to Chrome. It's the fastest browser I've seen, it's clean-looking, and most people don't really need half the add-ons they need for Firefox anyways.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
8bitlove2a03 said:
I still don't understand how people haven't switched to Chrome. It's the fastest browser I've seen, it's clean-looking, and most people don't really need half the add-ons they need for Firefox anyways.
It's made by Google.

I'd say that's a good enough reason not to use it.