Microsoft: We Want to Adapt the Xbox One to "What Gamers Want"

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Alex Co said:
Hryb follows that up by saying they're going to "continue to refine the system and make it what the Xbox fans are expecting," and adds that Microsoft is listening to feedback "every single day."
I believe this absolutely 100%.

Mostly because i think nearly all gamers are "expecting" that microsoft will backpedal on their changes and royally fuck people over again.

Remember - expecting does not equal desiring lol

Sony may very screw everyone over too though, is yet to be seen.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
your a games console that does not give a shit about doing the thing your kinda meant to be doing. And now you want to "adapt" to be more what gamers what ?........the fuck ?! oh i seeee, MIcrosoft head is so far up its own ass they thought we would be more then happy yo have a discless console that hates used games and is action packed with DRM and streaming all sorts of tv and other bullshit oh....and maybe a few games. Well rude awakening with the shit storm they got.

Safe to say PS4 wins the console wars or at least an early lead. Meanwhile over in the PC world.....lol Steam sale is over and we have ALOT of games to play. Sorry consoles.....you dont ?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I say that I want-to-want a PSVita but in reality, it's the XBone that I want to want. Here's what would make the thing appeal to me personally;

1 - Price Reduction, which can easily be done by...

2 - Selling a Kinect-free model

3 - Games: I like how Crimson Drago(o?)n and, Killer Instinct are a thing but I want MORE original Xbox exclusives to come back. Mech Assault, Otogi: Myth of Demons, Crimson Skies, Whacked...where were these games during the 360's run?

I don't see Microsoft doing these honestly...there will be a price reduction but that will be because of the passage of time more likely than a new Kienct-Free edition.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
CriticalMiss said:
It seems as though the reporter forgot the end of the quote.

Microsoft: We Want to Adapt the Xbox One to "What Gamers Want", as long as that is TV
It's also all bullshit. Gamers have been asking to not have a kinect, but it's still there. Costing an extra $100 and doing nothing of value.
But if they didn't have a mandatory Kinect, how could they be listening to us all the time?

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Let me just put on my Johnny Carson Carnac hat and gaze a year into the future.
"Oh," it looks like gamers want the power of cloud computing. Enjoy your always online requirements.

Nettrick Nowan

Jan 4, 2014
Difference of opinion here, but I don't believe they were ever really interested in "what gamers want" when the One was created.

As things stand now, we One owners have an underpowered (comparatively) system that we can wave at and talk to.

Did GAMERS want that...or did Microsoft try and tell gamers what they want?

It's early yet, but I can see me selling my Day One when the Steam machines become available because I'm pretty sure they will be getting the Xbox One "exclusives" also.

As a gamer, Microsoft shot themselves in the foot when they tried to be all things to all people. They should have stuck to doing one thing well (console gaming) instead of doing two things adequately (media hub access and console gaming).

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Alex Co said:
In the same interview, Hryb speaks out about Microsoft's entertainment focus with the Xbox One and states, "There's no reason why you can't have an extremely powerful game console that also does entertainment. Why does there have to be an 'and or?' We need to be able to have something that's both...Why not design a system that can handle that as well, and switch between the two."
...I still have to scratch my head at this one. The PS3 did exactly that without needing to bring it up in marketing campaigns, but now neither of the big boys are supporting DLNA streaming. The rest of the services, from Netflix to Pandora are all but a given on everything from smart TVs to phones (not to mention actual computers).

All I see the Xbox One and PS4 do in terms of non-gaming entertainments is basically the same as last gen, only less convenient, more costly and less complete. I say they should both stick to gaming... not because they don't have enough focus on it, but because they're not good at the other stuff anymore.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Braddon Dent said:
just officially call it the xbone already, its kind of catchy
¸

No. Its the XOne (pronounced zone)

And they should let you customize the home page of the console.

siveon

Jan 21, 2012
I just want the games. Particularly RPG's and Adventures.

I'll just say you can outright fuck off with T.V, Movies, Music and what-have-you. I'm even partial to the social support since I mostly just play single-player games anyway. A decent forum function for every single game (not unlike steam) would be welcome though.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Hairless Mammoth said:
How 'bout a replaceable standard SATA hard drive that does not have ridiculous markup, since installing 30 GB games will fill the 300 GB of open space in a short time. Also, no one wants to pay $100 more for peripheral that they will never use. We'll have to wait for a hardware revision for the former, but the latter can be done right now.
you can replace the harddrive, you just need to format it and install microsoft's junk-ware on it first.
if you have a pc and a usb key to boot linux on this can be done in 10 minutes with an online guide, so step 1 is also doable right now

the real issue is Microsoft don't want to, plain and simple. the above article is likely the marketing and p.r departments trying to cover up the logistic scrooge like behaviour in the launch

why do i say that? it's microsoft. you know the company that makes windows, and do i need to do voodoo with my harddrive to make it work? err.. nope. they could issue you a console operating system dvd if they wanted to.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
siveon said:
I just want the games. Particularly RPG's and Adventures.

I'll just say you can outright fuck off with T.V, Movies, Music and what-have-you. I'm even partial to the social support since I mostly just play single-player games anyway. A decent forum function for every single game (not unlike steam) would be welcome though.
RPGs on the Xbox are generally either a rare case or not that well done. And I wouldn't count games with watered down RPG mechanics like Bioware games past Mass Effect 1.

OP:MS should've had this in mind when making a gaming console in the first.

Dec 16, 2009
Gaaaames

there done, thats all the feed back you need, forget tv/internet/apps/shoe horned multiplayer of features. just focus on gaming. its what people want sonsoles. otherwise, most of them would build PC's.

I should say, for the sake of honesty, I cant see me buying an Xbone, no matter what MS do.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
What the hell do they think is "entertainment"?
Their definition has to be the polar opposite of "games" it seems.
There's nothing entertaining about passing a cable signal through your xbone and a console would be the last thing I would ever think of buying renting movies on.
Music makes even less sense if I can't even put that on my mp3 player and if I want to browse the internet in hilariously impractical, clunky ways, I have my tablet for that.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
This statement is simply laughable. If they really wanted to adapt the Xbox One to what gamers wanted they wouldn't have waited until after release to try this. However, why don't we give them a list? My initial thoughts are:

1080p. -Impress me Microsoft, make that adaption.

Backwards Compatibility.

A decent catalogue of games.

Guarantees regarding privacy and data collection, mainly that any targeted advertising on provision of information to third parties will be opt-in rather than opt out

Guarantees that the anti-consumer polices announced prior to launch will not be reintroduced.

On a basic level, what gamers really want is to play games. To play games with as few barriers and obstacles to overcomes as possible. We want games that are fun and functional (from launch, seriously, fixing with a patch later does not excuse putting a shoddy product out for sale - if you ordered a takeaway pizza you wouldn?t be happy if the pepperoni was delivered separately and 3 hours later would you?)and we want to slip the disc into the console and jump straight in. We don't want to be hassled to download and install an unholy amount of updates first, we don't want to be forced to connect to the internet to install a game in the first place.

In conclusion, Gamers want to own a console, buy games and then play games. All Microsoft (and Sony for that matter) need to remember is this:

Anything that speeds up, facilitates or otherwise makes this process more convenient = Good
Anything that restricts, delays, distracts from or adds cost to this process = Bad

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
The Lugz said:
you can replace the harddrive, you just need to format it and install microsoft's junk-ware on it first.
if you have a pc and a usb key to boot linux on this can be done in 10 minutes with an online guide, so step 1 is also doable right now
Doing so voids the warranty entirely though, which is why they are supposed to be having external hard drive support. What he means is a way to change the HDD inside the system to any one they want without it voiding the warranty. The PS3 did it, and the PS4 supports it as well, heck most of my friends already have done it.

Jan 22, 2011
I still don't understand why the system can-not play xbox 360 or xbla digital games?? If microsoft really wants people to move on at least give us damn bone to chew on while waiting for xbox 1 games to come out.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
I think the Xbone would be a perfectly good console for playing predominantly western games on if:-

It focused almost entirely on games, with no memory or features wasted on thing like tv functions.

Friendlier more accommodating third part support, so we can get more games on the system.

optional Kinect

Wesley Brannock

Sep 7, 2010
The new generation of consoles ( ps4 / xbox one ) look like vcr's. These are " entertainment " machines trying to be consoles. Don't be fooled. A REAL console just plays GAMES AND NOTHING ELSE!!!