Microsoft: We Want to Adapt the Xbox One to "What Gamers Want"

DuelLadyS

Aug 25, 2010
EndlessSporadic said:
Games. We want games.
Yeah, this.

Seriously game companies, you make this stuff too hard. I buy the game console that has things I want to play. Make with the games already!

Tien Shen

Mar 25, 2010
Adapting an already launched product? Shouldn't they have like done all that feedback stuff ages ago before finalizing on the design? So in other words, current XBone users are beta testing it? In before XBOX ONE-2 in three years.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Wesley Brannock said:
A REAL console just plays GAMES AND NOTHING ELSE!!!
What about PS1, it could play music CDs if you put it in the console, or the PS2 which could play DVDs since it's launch? While games should be the primary focus of a games console, that doesn't mean it has to strictly do just that. I mean hell, that bit SEGA in the ass when the PS2 launched because the PS2 had a built in DVD player that was cheap for Japan, and SEGA ended up losing the Japanese market. Nintendo also took major hits because of the fact that the GameCube couldn't play DVDs, hence why the Panasonic Q was eventually made.

Like I said, a games console should indeed be about the games first, but have some other entertainment methods in it doesn't hurt. It only becomes a problem when those added "features" get more attention and are placed above the game part of a game's console. It hurt the PS3 big time, and it's definitely gonna hurt the Xbox One. Heck the Wii U even has social media features in it as well as Netflix and Hulu, it also has Amazon Video but that thing never seems to work. So is the Wii U not considered a real console then?

prowll

Aug 19, 2008
OK, Microsoft, we're going to try this one more time, and I'll use the small words...

NO KINECT. Kinect is a waste of our money, if we do not want it.
Backwards compatibility. You didn't put out enough (good) games for us to buy it out of the gate.
More games, and more usability for the games.

Seriously, everyone on this list has the same requirements. DO IT.

SpectacledOtter

Oct 10, 2011
look Microsoft I get it. you like the idea of an all-in-one entertainment system that plays DVDs, blu-ray discs, games, netflix, hulu, music, the cable system--all we have to do is plug in the TV and the stereo system. I like that idea too.

you shouldn't have made the XBox that idea. you have a built-in audience with the xbox and they're called male college students (and everyone else who plays COD I guess but I haven't met a COD player who wasn't a male college student yet). give them a game console that's just a game console. and also costs ~$300.

then put out the SUPER DELUXE MEGA ALL IN ONE ENTERTAINMENT BONANZA for $600 or whatever and have it support the highest of Ds you can put on it and then the people who buy IMAX TVs will buy that. everyone wins.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
EffectiveKill said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Pfft! Gamers working on microsoft xbone? If that was true, they wouldnt have started with so many highly strung restrictions. They know theyre fighting for the metaphorical business scraps now the ps4 has gained gamers trust. So now theyre sweet talking us before they slip that pill in our drink
The PS4 has not gained my trust, Sony has not had my trust since the day it was reported that they were putting rootkits into their products or lying to consumers about hacks and loss of personal data. But you are so eager to drink these companies piss by the sweet talking you are being told by a company that "gained gamer trust." Read this article and then tell me u trust Sony fully http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-patents-tech-to-block-used-games/1100-6401992/
Sony has gained gamers trust, for better or worse. Mainly with how the whole console thing was handled of doing everything right that microsoft done wrong. I am not saying sony is without fault or anything, merely that people do trust sony. As to your article, this is no secret, and PS4 dev team actually said they considered and then decided agaisnt using this technology for the console. Just becuase you patent technolgy does not mean you have to use it for this particular machine.

Xan Krieger said:
2. No more installs, this was always a huge perk of console gaming, no picking harddrives, no installing, just insert disc and play.
3. Backwards compatibility, your fans have been asking for this for quite a while
Not possible. The games became too large to be read from disc. you simply cannot avoid installs.
Backward compactability will not be possible without hardware emulation, and unless you want to pay 800 dollars for your Xbox, forget it.
You cna forget software emulation altogether. Xbox One has a weaker processor than 360, making it impossible.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Your first choice of order should make a kinectless bundle, that would be a good start. I don't think one person who actually only cares about games wants that pos.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Well, let's start with a price cut.

As things stand your product its less powerful, and has less currently functional features, than it's main competitor. A main competitor who undercuts you in price. You need to be cheaper than them for people to take you seriously as things stand - or you need to really work on improving functionality.

Once that's done, we can talk about the other issues.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Alex Co said:
In the same interview, Hryb speaks out about Microsoft's entertainment focus with the Xbox One and states, "There's no reason why you can't have an extremely powerful game console that also does entertainment. Why does there have to be an 'and or?' We need to be able to have something that's both...Why not design a system that can handle that as well, and switch between the two."
There isn't, but strictly speaking for myself, I want a machine that's a games console first and entertainment centre second, not a glorified cable box that just so happens to also play games. It's like the Playstation 2. It was a games console that incidentally also played DVDs, not a DVD player that incidentally also played video games.

Wesley Brannock

Sep 7, 2010
Neronium said:
Wesley Brannock said:
A REAL console just plays GAMES AND NOTHING ELSE!!!
What about PS1, it could play music CDs if you put it in the console, or the PS2 which could play DVDs since it's launch? While games should be the primary focus of a games console, that doesn't mean it has to strictly do just that. I mean hell, that bit SEGA in the ass when the PS2 launched because the PS2 had a built in DVD player that was cheap for Japan, and SEGA ended up losing the Japanese market. Nintendo also took major hits because of the fact that the GameCube couldn't play DVDs, hence why the Panasonic Q was eventually made.

Like I said, a games console should indeed be about the games first, but have some other entertainment methods in it doesn't hurt. It only becomes a problem when those added "features" get more attention and are placed above the game part of a game's console. It hurt the PS3 big time, and it's definitely gonna hurt the Xbox One. Heck the Wii U even has social media features in it as well as Netflix and Hulu, it also has Amazon Video but that thing never seems to work. So is the Wii U not considered a real console then?
What about PS1, it could play music CDs if you put it in the console, or the PS2 which could play DVDs since it's launch?

This was a good idea on paper but this began my complaints of consoles from ps3 , xbox 360 , wii to more " current " consoles. When I'm playing a game I don't want my first thought to be facebook , myspace , or tumblr I want to just play the game. I know I'm not the target audience for social media ( not by a long shot ) nor am I the audience for sports ( since I prefer video games to physical activity ). I just feel as though the video game corporations are giving me something I neither want nor asked for. Since I've got problems with my hands I also don't want to unintentionally hit a " share " button by mistake sharing something I don't want to share. To me that is a HUGE ANNOYANCE. When I play a game I use a gaming console when I watch a movie I use a blue ray player ( not built into the system ) so I don't burn out the console. When I buy a thing I usually only use it for it's intended purpose. So no I don't like the idea of my GAMING CONSOLE to have another " function " other than the one I will use it for since to me that would just be a waste.

I believe that all these new " features " are taking focus AWAY from gaming on the gaming consoles. This is one of the reasons why the Xbox One reveal went so badly ( aside from the D.R.M news ). I don't care if you believe me or not but if I'm going to " share " something on facebook it would be edited footage not raw footage from the console. Raw footage just shows a lack of creativity. On the whole social thing I'm no fan of social sites. The last thing I need is either another social app or some app to connect to the social sites I use. Now the best way to look like a douche is to " share " everything you do on your new console. You might as well just put of an image of yourself giving a thumbs up on the overpriced over hyped console. The only thing that will get me to get one of these consoles is if I see a GAME THAT I WANT TO PLAY ON IT. Not something to help me watch a NFL game or " share " footage from a madden game using a " feature " on a console.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Strazdas said:
EffectiveKill said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Pfft! Gamers working on microsoft xbone? If that was true, they wouldnt have started with so many highly strung restrictions. They know theyre fighting for the metaphorical business scraps now the ps4 has gained gamers trust. So now theyre sweet talking us before they slip that pill in our drink
The PS4 has not gained my trust, Sony has not had my trust since the day it was reported that they were putting rootkits into their products or lying to consumers about hacks and loss of personal data. But you are so eager to drink these companies piss by the sweet talking you are being told by a company that "gained gamer trust." Read this article and then tell me u trust Sony fully http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-patents-tech-to-block-used-games/1100-6401992/
Sony has gained gamers trust, for better or worse. Mainly with how the whole console thing was handled of doing everything right that microsoft done wrong. I am not saying sony is without fault or anything, merely that people do trust sony. As to your article, this is no secret, and PS4 dev team actually said they considered and then decided agaisnt using this technology for the console. Just becuase you patent technolgy does not mean you have to use it for this particular machine.
If someone said they considered murdering your family, but decided against it, would you trust them more than the other guy who said they want to murder your family but due to negative public response they decided they wouldn't?

Trusting Sony (the company that at the launch of the previous generation sold the PS3 as a BluRay player first, games console second) to be the paragon of console gaming is ridiculous.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
smithy_2045 said:
Strazdas said:
EffectiveKill said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
If someone said they considered murdering your family, but decided against it, would you trust them more than the other guy who said they want to murder your family but due to negative public response they decided they wouldn't?

Trusting Sony (the company that at the launch of the previous generation sold the PS3 as a BluRay player first, games console second) to be the paragon of console gaming is ridiculous.
If the choice is between a guy that said he is capable of murdering my family but chooses not to do it (sony)
vs
a guy that tried to kill my family but was stopped and now does not want to (or at least pretend not to) want to kill it (microsoft)

Id choose SONY.
I never said i trusted sony thought. I said it has gained gamers trust. and that is not something we can just ignore. Whether we like it or not, the general populace likes sony now.

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
Would consider buying one if they removed the retarded xbox live gold sub fee... I don't understand why PC gamers get to play multiplayer for free

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Rex Dark said:
Wait... Kinect is no longer mandatory?
Suddenly Xbone has become an option...
They removed that it had to be mandatory about a month or two before it launched. However, because of this you'd think that they'd sell a Kinect-less version since the Kinect is what is driving the console to it's current price (in fact the Kinect costs about as much as it does to make an Xbox One). But nope, they are gonna force you to buy it with the console so then the developers have the "option" to make things for it. It's really not gonna work though, because otherwise the PS3 would've had a lot more use of the Six-Axis seeing as it's built into the controller, the GamePad would get more use and actually add something meaningful to games (right now the biggest thing it acts for is off-screen play and as an inventory screen), and the 3D feature would have actually been implemented for games in the 3DS. Microsoft is hoping that developers will use the Kinect when shipping them with the consoles, but the thing is you can't force developers to do anything unless you literally tell them they have to.

For example, Nintendo wants people to use the 3D feature, but a mandate also for them is that the game must also be entirely playable in 2D. For Sony, they are forcing developers to actually utilize the Vita for it's remote play, because last gen they made it for the PSP and developers just ignored it.

Vyress

Jul 12, 2010
Alex Co said:
By now, it's safe to say that Microsoft hasn't had the smoothest of console reveals when it comes to marketing the Xbox One. While the company has Speaking to Canada.com [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125204-Microsoft-Drops-Xbox-One-DRM-Restrictions-UPDATED], Xbox Live director of programming Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb claims they want to adapt the Xbox One to "what gamers want."
Let's recap:
those guys create a GAME console, release it, and now they say they want to 'adapt' their GAME console to 'what gamers want'.
Like uhm... those guys are getting paid for what they're doing? Really?

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
CriticalMiss said:
It's also all bullshit. Gamers have been asking to not have a kinect, but it's still there. Costing an extra $100 and doing nothing of value.
Come now, that Kinect has a very important role in the way of espionage and potential blackmail!

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Insert random "I hate Microsoft" comment.

Insert random "I love PS4/PC/Wii U/Handheld" comment.

Snide or sly comment on Microsoft's policies which have been replaced or dropped.

----

But gamers want games, Microsoft. It is a gaming console after all.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Evonisia said:
Insert random "I hate Microsoft" comment.

Insert random "I love PS4/PC/Wii U/Handheld" comment.

Snide or sly comment on Microsoft's policies which have been replaced or dropped.
I will never forgive a company that, half a year ago, was ready to butt-fuck me in every way I could be fucked in regards to gaming.

They shot themselves in the foot and they absolutely knew it, and when people were rightfully outraged, they backpedaled and people bought right back into their shit.

Boggles my mind, but that's just my two cents.