Microsoft: "We've Lost Our Way" on PC Gaming

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
More like they see that the console bubble is about to burst and they need us back lol. Well M$ you better make a decent operating system. Bring back advanced appearance settings and themes you

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I can't believe it took me so long to think of this joke:

Anyway, it's nice to see such a big company continuously flailing about, going "I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON!!", but please...make it interesting. Give us some reason to do anything other than tune out, commit seppuku with a dry-erase marker, SOMETHING!

Captcha: Fresh water

Ah, thank you, Thing.

RobXSIQ

Feb 22, 2015
unless Microsoft can make a mouse for consoles that ships with, and is used by, consolers, then they simply cant meet with PC gamers. unfair advantage at the bare minimum (for fps's, and rts).
might meet them in some of the vr games though where the new mouse will be just looking.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
It sounds great on the surface, but then I remember it's Microsoft and they're going to screw it up somewhere with some arbitrary software they "want" you to use. Want meaning "need" actually. I'll believe this news when it turns out to be as positive as they're making it sound.

StreamerDarkly

Disciple of Trevor Philips
Jan 15, 2015
Wow. If Microsoft can't even manage to come up with a PR soundbite that sounds attractive to PC gamers, you can bet that whatever action they take is going to be infinitely worse. Get ready for Xbox Live 365 coming to a desktop near you.

OT: Read every single post. I like a good rant, and this thread delivers.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Okay so... I wasn't the smartest person ever, and this became apparent to all when a hotmail address of mine started sending out penis enhancement spam. M$ put the irons on the account, but I could still get in and read stuff, i'd get a screen telling me to do something to correct the situation if I logged in but following the instructions led only to an infinite loop, fortunately there was a button that let me skip through to my inbox so I couldn't fix the problem but could at least read mail. Then the button to skip through disappeared. Any attempt to contact support required signing in, which just led to that infinite loop. My xbox live account is attached to that email adress, and as a new added bonus I couldn't sign into that either. That meant I couldn't play GWFL games like street fighter IV or Dark Souls online (or save in Dark Souls).
So yeah, Microsoft, you haven't been great. GFWL was just a thing that prevented me from playing the games I bought as far as I'm concerned. I don't want to have to fuck with an xbox live account to play PC games. I want the games to play when I i run the exe. That's all I want. I don't want Live hoops to jump through, I don't want GFWL hoops to jump through. I don't want any other hoops to jump through. I want to buy the games, press play and play. Okay? Good. Glad we talked.

funnydude6556

Feb 5, 2011
You mean like Games for windows? The service that now just gets in the way of playing games like Bioshock 2 and Fallout 3? If Microsoft wants to do PC Gamers a favor they should just avoid PC Gaming instead of creating another service that requires you to log into it that they'll ditch in the future meaning every game running on it is effectively broken.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
MonsterCrit said:
Strazdas said:
DirectX is crossplatform too. it runs on Xbox and PC.
Xboxes are basically running a stripped down WIndows OS so that's not really cross platform. But for comparisson I'll give you that.

Now let's look at OGL

WIndows, Many Flavours of Linux, PS4 and Mac, Also Android.

I'm sorry but from a development perspective. OGL wins. It may lack tech and features but it has a larger user base. I can code once and have some reasonable assurance that it will work just as well on any of these systems with minimal re-engineering. A slight sacrifice in fidelity is a small price to pay. Also honestly... if your users can notice the drop in fidelity... you obviously have not don't a good job of designing your game.
PS4 OS is linux based, and MAC is a hybrid. Android is a virtualbox running in linux.

Yeah, OGL wins and everyone uses it, oh, wait, no, actually all the big developers use DirectX instead. Because these features are making theri lives much easier. Apperently developers dont think that price is so small after all.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Strazdas said:
MonsterCrit said:
Strazdas said:
Xboxes are basically running a stripped down WIndows OS so that's not really cross platform. But for comparisson I'll give you that.

Now let's look at OGL

I'm sorry but from a development perspective. OGL wins. It may lack tech and features but it has a larger user base. I can code once and have some reasonable assurance that it will work just as well on any of these systems with minimal re-engineering. A slight sacrifice in fidelity is a small price to pay. Also honestly... if your users can notice the drop in fidelity... you obviously have not don't a good job of designing your game.
PS4 OS is linux based, and MAC is a hybrid. Android is a virtualbox running in linux.

Yeah, OGL wins and everyone uses it, oh, wait, no, actually all the big developers use DirectX instead. Because these features are making theri lives much easier. Apperently developers dont think that price is so small after all.
All I'm saying is. I have a library of 200+ games. They all support OGL.

As for larger developers... well large companies aren't known for being agile and responsive to change in the environment. I mean come on. have you seen the games coming out of some of these larger developers. Sure you have because they're the same games the released last year and the year before that.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
MonsterCrit said:
Strazdas said:
MonsterCrit said:
Strazdas said:

Now let's look at OGL

As for larger developers... well large companies aren't known for being agile and responsive to change in the environment. I mean come on. have you seen the games coming out of some of these larger developers. Sure you have because they're the same games the released last year and the year before that.
Well Vulkan might be the push that devs need to switch of DX/Microsoft dependency. Especially since it looks like Valve are going to be involved heavily.

kyp275

Mar 27, 2012
I'm pretty sure MS lost their way on PC gaming somewhere around the time when Discman was still a thing.

Don't think they'll ever find their way back.

RobXSIQ

Feb 22, 2015
Dear Microsoft
Yes, you have been, to the PC audience, akin to an abusive boyfriend.
But tell ya what
Sell your hololens at cost or loss in order to penetrate the market for all your fans and we can call it even.
Maybe even make a large number of groupies once again.

Signed
Gamers, developers, artists, businessmen, and pretty much everyone else.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
MonsterCrit said:

As for larger developers... well large companies aren't known for being agile and responsive to change in the environment. I mean come on. have you seen the games coming out of some of these larger developers. Sure you have because they're the same games the released last year and the year before that.[/quote]
There are 950 products on steam that are confirmed to work with Linux. That does not mean jack shit though because linux still isnt supported for games that 99% of gamers play. Do not mix you being an extreme case of liking OGL games with general audience.

You know why these companies release same games year after year? because the average gamer wants them, as evident by them having massive sale numbers.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Strazdas said:
MonsterCrit said:

There are 950 products on steam that are confirmed to work with Linux. That does not mean jack shit though because linux still isnt supported for games that 99% of gamers play. Do not mix you being an extreme case of liking OGL games with general audience.

You know why these companies release same games year after year? because the average gamer wants them, as evident by them having massive sale numbers.[/quote]

950 games that run on linux natively. There are many many more that will run with WIndows Emulation. I also never said that All my games were Linux games.. merely that they supported OGL. So these are windows games.

Don't jump to far fetched conclusions.

rgrekejin

Mar 6, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
Best of all, PC gamers can look forward to a future where they can interact with their console brethren seamlessly.
Ugh. I mean, we could, but why would we want to?

*ducks*

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
rgrekejin said:
Steven Bogos said:
Best of all, PC gamers can look forward to a future where they can interact with their console brethren seamlessly.
Ugh. I mean, we could, but why would we want to?

*ducks*
Come now, not everyone is so fixated on this damnedable, eternal war that they can't have a little fun. Even now, soldiers are beginning to lose heart. We cannot continue a fight which just piles up the bodies with no end, no end EVER in sight! Just look at the men! Look at the morale!

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
MonsterCrit said:
950 games that run on linux natively. There are many many more that will run with WIndows Emulation. I also never said that All my games were Linux games.. merely that they supported OGL. So these are windows games.

Don't jump to far fetched conclusions.
While i dont doubt that some work with WINE, my statement of 99% of games average user plays not being supported on linux still stands.

I never claimed that your games are all linux games. i used linux compatibility to ilustrate the point that altrough there is a high number of games that support it that does not mean much for average gaming public becuase its not their games that are supported and its very rare to find a person who is fully satisfied by playing only those games.

Meanwhile, almost any of those game run on DirectX as well so DirectX users are not missing out.

KB13

Oct 3, 2011
"They're customers of the Xbox Live service"

Uh no I'm not. I even removed the LIVE thing from my Fallout 3 game. When I transferred everything to a windows 8 computer I don't play the installed Solitaire and Mahjong because they force you to sign up for an X-box LIVE account. So no I am not a "customer of the Xbox Live service" nor do I wish to be one. You really don't want to do this Microsoft bad idea.