Microsoft: Xbox 360 Leader in Online Gaming

cocoadog

Oct 9, 2008
Irridium said:
Delusibeta said:
Irridium said:
A quick check on Steam shows that there are roughly 2,333,680 people online. Not all of those people are playing a game, but I'm willing to bet at least half are. I doubt Xbox live has that much on. And this is a Monday at 2:50 US Eastern time.

But its just a company promoting its product, so whatever.
Alas, the Steam Community page counts the number "In Game" and the figure is less impressive: about 403,000 right now.

I don't know if it excludes non-Steam games and mods, but still. There's always Battle.net to factor in (soon to incorporate the entire World of Warcraft fanbase, or at least Battle.net 2.0, with promises to implement the new version into Warcraft 3, Starcraft 1 and Diablo et al.)
That is true.

But that also raises the question of if Microsoft also counted the people who are connected, but not playing a game. Like the people who use the 360 to watch movies on Netflix. You could say that they didn't, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did, in order to promote their brand.
Sorry, but there are about 400,000 people playing modern warfare 2 on live at any one time... too bad I hate that game.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
HG131 said:
Danny Ocean said:
Sorry Xbox, I don't think you win this one so cleanly.
First off: nothing has more value than something which is free.
Second: I'd like to know how they know that PC gamers play only 6.6 hours a week.

I mean, god, I've played something like 50 hours in two weeks at some points. Normally when I get a new game.
/facepalm

First, I'd rather pay and get more stuff than get a free, but much worse, service. Second, they meant, on average, ONLINE.
WoW is on the PC, I highly doubt the average WoW player plays just 6hours a week.
Also I've played over 100 hours in the past 2 weeks (only online, maybe 5 hours on stalker somewhere), obviously I'm not the average but I'm pretty sure I'm bumping it above 6 hours on my own.
I'd also like to know how they got those figures, seeing as you don't need to be connected to a service that logs it for most games to be playing online. Unlike Live where it logs everyone.

Plus What does this xbox service do (that you pay for) "much better" than PC services?

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
HG131 said:
Danny Ocean said:
Logan Westbrook said:
"What's important to keep in mind is the level of activity over an online service, especially when comparing a no-cost service [PlayStation Network] to a subscription-based service like Xbox Live," said a Microsoft spokesperson.

"When it comes to total entertainment experiences and value, Xbox 360 continues to lead the charge," they said, citing a recently released NPD online gaming report. "Xbox 360 is the hands-down leader in online gaming, with 48 percent of all online gamers using Xbox 360 and Xbox Live to connect with friends, family and competitors."

"This study also says that our members take full advantage of the immersive entertainment experiences over Xbox LIVE, logging the most hours of online play per week (7.3 hours/week) - that's more than PC gaming (6.6 hours/week) and our competition."
Sorry Xbox, I don't think you win this one so cleanly.
Second: I'd like to know how they know that PC gamers play only 6.6 hours a week.

I mean, god, I've played something like 50 hours in two weeks at some points. Normally when I get a new game.
/facepalm

First, I'd rather pay and get more stuff than get a free, but much worse, service. Second, they meant, on average, ONLINE.
First, the internet as a whole is vastly superior to Xbox live. I'm on PC, not PS3.[footnote]
First B, I work out value as either the opportunity cost of something, or by dividing it's value number on a scale of 1-10 by the price. That number is arbitrary, but in this case irrelevant, as dividing by 0 goes on to infinity. So neuh. By my amazing logic free things have infinite value.[/footnote]

Second, what does that mean, exactly? The number plugged in? The number registered on Xbox live? The number playing games? The number downloading updates? The number playing single player games? The number playing multiplayer games? Both? What?

Basically, this:

Irridium said:
But that also raises the question of if Microsoft also counted the people who are connected, but not playing a game. Like the people who use the 360 to watch movies on Netflix. You could say that they didn't, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did, in order to promote their brand.

slopeslider

Mar 19, 2009
This just in: Most most popular xbox 360 color is white.
Later: Microsoft admits "We could have screwed people over a little less with our harddrives"
Tonight; an Exclusive interview with Bill Gates reveals shocking information
Interviewer: Do you admit to overcharging consumers for the HDD?
Gates: "I admit to enjoy raking in fat stacks of cash."

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Its just like the old argumenet with little boys trying to see who is cooler.

Well, they are both good in there own right...they both need to chill out, lol.

edgeofblade

Jan 8, 2009
Danny Ocean said:
First off... listen to yourself. "Value" isn't the only factor in a comparison, and you know it. Regardless, you confused "infinite value" with "dividing by zero". Value is defined as the Benefit to get from the product divided by the Cost to obtain it. If it's free, you just divided by zero.

I could go get a double cheeseburger for $1 from McDonald's or I could go to one of those local joints with the $5 hamburger with the best beef, cheddar, fresh lettuce, tomato, and a honey wheat bun.

Sure I could full my belly with 5 crappy Mc-ee-Dees cheeseburgers, but I'd rather skip the frozen patty on a dirty grill cooked by the lowest rung of society and get a thick, juicy, cooked to order burger from a pillar of the community.

Second... it's Micro-frickin-Soft! They own the operating system that runs 90% of the games being played. I think they could put together an accurate measurement...

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Oh dear, somebody had their e-peen shrivelled by market research.

Time for some made up facts using our own (extremely narrow and specific) superior research!
Positive facts awaaaaayyyy!

Does this remind anyone else of an eight year old going 'nuh-uhhhhh' at you?

chaosraiden

Jun 26, 2008
edgeofblade said:
I could go get a double cheeseburger for $1 from McDonald's or I could go to one of those local joints with the $5 hamburger with the best beef, cheddar, fresh lettuce, tomato, and a honey wheat bun.

Sure I could full my belly with 5 crappy Mc-ee-Dees cheeseburgers, but I'd rather skip the frozen patty on a dirty grill cooked by the lowest rung of society and get a thick, juicy, cooked to order burger from a pillar of the community.
But in reality, all the advertising is brainwashing you into thinking that the local joints burgers are the best but what you're actually getting is a mcDonald's burger for 5 times the price.

Mr. Google

Jan 31, 2010
BLU RAY IS THE FUTURE MAN THE FUTURE!!!!!! sorry i dont eve have a PS3 but i needed to say that

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
HG131 said:
Delusibeta said:
Irridium said:
A quick check on Steam shows that there are roughly 2,333,680 people online. Not all of those people are playing a game, but I'm willing to bet at least half are. I doubt Xbox live has that much on. And this is a Monday at 2:50 US Eastern time.

But its just a company promoting its product, so whatever.
Alas, the Steam Community page counts the number "In Game" and the figure is less impressive: about 403,000 right now.

I don't know if it excludes non-Steam games and mods, but still. There's always Battle.net to factor in (soon to incorporate the entire World of Warcraft fanbase, or at least Battle.net 2.0, with promises to implement the new version into Warcraft 3, Starcraft 1 and Diablo et al.)
Remember, online just means having it running, whether they always leave it on or not. 403,000 is about the amount of 1 or 2 bigger 360 titles' amounts on right now, and that's just MP.
Likewise, I can easily imagine 500,000 being on World of Warcraft at any one time. [footnote]No, I don't have any stats to back this up.[/footnote] Swings & roundabouts, and all that.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
edgeofblade said:
Second... it's Micro-frickin-Soft! They own the operating system that runs 90% of the games being played. I think they could put together an accurate measurement...
Not really. As much as we might like to think someone is watching us all, that isn't Microsoft.

Might be from Gfail live, but that's only a few shitty ports and not any good games. Seriously, I hate that thing. constant irritating messages about petty, pointless bullshit.

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
Farmville beats microsoft hands down, atleast pc in general has most online gamers.
Even though most play for all the wrong reasons, like a certain game that was displayed on southpark yesterday :D

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I personally don't give a crap about the console wars: I'm of the opinion that anyone who bought a next gen console got ripped off. However I do resent MS even mentioning "value." While their live service may be better, they are the only ones who charge and most of the 360 owners I know don't think it's worth it.

I expect them to spout hoe much better they are but they shouldn't bring value into the argument if they are the only ones who are charging a regular fee.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Yay! Another dick waving contest!

Our console is plugged in more than yours!

Oh yeah? Well OUR console plays more online than yours!

PC sits in the background shaking head in disdain.

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
Be interesting to see where they got those figures, I do more online gaming on my PC on the weekend then they've got up there! And if they're taking averages surely all the people who play 0 games online would feck it all up?

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Straying Bullet said:
From a 360 owner, DUH. It's been on the market longer than the PS3.

Microsoft needs to shut up, seriously. How is this going to help you? Same for Sony.
What he said, pretty sure having a whole 2 years ahead of the competition is going to put you ahead in numbers; but we all need to remember that if sony is only a small percentage behind microsoft despite their 2 year lead, that's impressive.