Microsoft: Xbox 360 Leader in Online Gaming

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
One more thing to prove you wrong, remember when you typed this?

"Now who is arguing semantics? The implication of the study is obviously that PS3's online experience is better, which is debatable."

Yeah, that's completely wrong. I believe the title of the article was "Study Finds PS3 Most Likely to Be Online". Notice how it doesn't say "most likely" not "most users", or "most satisfying"?
Look up the word "implication" before you respond next time.

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
Yes, I know that the survey is talking about the percentage of the user base. So is Microsoft's statement. Microsoft is stating that a greater percentage of their users use the online service FOR gaming.

My point is that the survey can present the FACT that a greater percentage of PS3 units have online connectivity, but what the general public will derive from that statement is that PS3 must have a bigger or better online community. The presenters of the survey are not quantifying their results by presenting online usage statistics as to what percent of those users connected use HOME, download content, play games online, etc.... these are all measurable statistics that the conductors of the survey felt necessary to leave off because it doesn't send the message they're looking for. All they're saying is... more PS3 owners are 'online'. That's very open to interpretation.

DarthLurtz

Jun 8, 2009
I for one am amused at everyone saying how large WoW is to dispute the stats on average game time played online on PCs. Numbers online have nothing to do with average time spent online.

"I play for 20 hours a day, that number can't be right!"

We're on a gaming website, viewing it on a computer of some type. Chances are most people here play PC games more often than other people.

I personally don't usually play online multiplayer for more than a few hours a day due to all the achievement hunting I do in recent sandbox games.

Averages are called averages for a reason: it's what the average person does.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
TPiddy said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Yes, I know that the survey is talking about the percentage of the user base. So is Microsoft's statement. Microsoft is stating that a greater percentage of their users use the online service FOR gaming.

All they're saying is... more PS3 owners are 'online'. That's very open to interpretation.
Wrong again. First off Read the Microsoft article. The percentage used isn't saying that more people use the 360's LIVE service for gaming. The article even says that "48 percent of all online gamers using Xbox 360 and Xbox Live to connect with friends, family and competitors."

Not more than the PS3 or Wii. Just 48% of all 360 gamers. And it's not even ALL 360 gamers, it's just the ones in the U.S.

Here's another quote from the article.
"This study also says that our members take full advantage of the immersive entertainment experiences over Xbox LIVE, logging the most hours of online play per week (7.3 hours/week) - that's more than PC gaming (6.6 hours/week) and our competition."

That's not a percentage buddy. That's a rate comparison. And they didn't even have the info to compare this to the Wii or PS3.

TPiddy said:
"My point is that the survey can present the FACT that a greater percentage of PS3 units have online connectivity, but what the general public will derive from that statement is that PS3 must have a bigger or better online community."

And you have to realize that the general public deriving that from the research is not the intent. That's the argument of the general public for just assuming a result that the article didn't directly convey. Yes it may look like the Online connectivity survey is saying that the PS3 has more users online overall, but that's not what the survey is showing us so stop trying to push that point. All your doing is making more reasons to argue to drag this on every time I prove you wrong. The people's implication and the results of the survey are so loosely connected that you can't even keep a straight argument.

" All they're saying is... more PS3 owners are 'online'. That's very open to interpretation."

NO. What they're saying is that it's MORE LIKELY for the PS3 to be online. That's the title of the damn article. The online reason for the PS3 not to be online would be that you turn it on and you don't have the internet set up on your PS3. Same as the 360 and Wii. If the online set up and you your console on, you have online access. Some people don't have the internet at home. Some don't have wifi and don't want to used a wired connection. The connectivity survey shows that the PS3 is MORE LIKELY to be online. None of this implication crap because that's adding an outside figure into the argument. The NPD survey shows that more users play their 360s more. The results of both surveys aren't even comparable unless you try and pick out a different meaning from either one. In which case it's not a comparison of results, it's an argument about the implication. That's why you're wrong. You're not arguing the facts of the surveys, you're arguing what you've come up with in your head about what the results mean.

This might be why you keep changing the focus of the argument we're having.

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
And you have to realize that the general public deriving that from the research is not the intent. That's the argument of the general public for just assuming a result that the article didn't directly convey. Yes it may look like the Online connectivity survey is saying that the PS3 has more users online overall, but that's not what the survey is showing us so stop trying to push that point.
I'm not finding fault with the results of the survey or the survey's intentions. Nobody can argue that.... that's why it's boring and brings little to no conversational value. That's like saying "there are over 300 million people in the US". What is there to discuss if you can't project or estimate or derive?

"Oh, how about that... 78% of people with a PS3 have it hooked up to the internet. Wow, I did not know that. Ok, end of conversation."

You're so quick to come to the defense of PS3 because you think I'm slamming it when really I'm just trying to discuss the perception of the results of the study. Many people have already drawn conclusions that these numbers are not surprising considering that it's easier to hook one up, so there's no point in re-iterating that again. I thought I'd discuss the purpose of the study (which I can't figure out, other than to tout PS3's connectivity) and MS's subsequent reaction to it, which was basically "Sure, a greater percentage of PS3's are connected, but a greater percentage of our install base plays games online."

The thing you keep repeating over and over is that the people who did the study did not intend for it to be interpreted that way... big fucking deal. I'm not slamming PS3 or the people who did the study. Get off my ass already.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Mister Anderson said:
Though Xbox is the best compared to playstation. they lose ALOT of people to the playstation because of the cost of xbox live. even though its cheap as chips.
I hardly consider something that has hardware breakdowns more than half the time to be better. And the cost for live is for gold, which only adds online play, so you're basically paying microsoft 60 bucks to flip a switch for you.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
TPiddy said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
And you have to realize that the general public deriving that from the research is not the intent. That's the argument of the general public for just assuming a result that the article didn't directly convey. Yes it may look like the Online connectivity survey is saying that the PS3 has more users online overall, but that's not what the survey is showing us so stop trying to push that point.
I'm not finding fault with the results of the survey or the survey's intentions. Nobody can argue that.... that's why it's boring and brings little to no conversational value. That's like saying "there are over 300 million people in the US". What is there to discuss if you can't project or estimate or derive?

"Oh, how about that... 78% of people with a PS3 have it hooked up to the internet. Wow, I did not know that. Ok, end of conversation."

You're so quick to come to the defense of PS3 because you think I'm slamming it when really I'm just trying to discuss the perception of the results of the study. Many people have already drawn conclusions that these numbers are not surprising considering that it's easier to hook one up, so there's no point in re-iterating that again. I thought I'd discuss the purpose of the study (which I can't figure out, other than to tout PS3's connectivity) and MS's subsequent reaction to it, which was basically "Sure, a greater percentage of PS3's are connected, but a greater percentage of our install base plays games online."

The thing you keep repeating over and over is that the people who did the study did not intend for it to be interpreted that way... big fucking deal. I'm not slamming PS3 or the people who did the study. Get off my ass already.
I'm not arguing with you because you slammed the PS3. You didn't do that. What you originally did to piss me off was say that Sony was the one who was touting that fact that their online was better. In neither news article did Sony say anything. If you go back to your first comment on this thread you'll see that. That bit was incorrect. I just informed you of that. It was you who kept bringing up reasons to keep the argument going. You kept changing the point of your statements. It was never in defense of the PS3, it was correcting your thesis of how to compare results. Research is done to find results. PR is to tout results. What Microsoft did was use bits of the NPD's research to tout the fact that they are "the leader in online." That their statement. What you said about the Diffusion Group survey was that "the research implies that the PS3 has the best online." Your words not mine, and not Sony's.

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
I'm not arguing with you because you slammed the PS3. You didn't do that. What you originally did to piss me off was say that Sony was the one who was touting that fact that their online was better. In neither news article did Sony say anything. If you go back to your first comment on this thread you'll see that. That bit was incorrect. I just informed you of that. It was you who kept bringing up reasons to keep the argument going. You kept changing the point of your statements. It was never in defense of the PS3, it was correcting your thesis of how to compare results. Research is done to find results. PR is to tout results. What Microsoft did was use bits of the NPD's research to tout the fact that they are "the leader in online." That their statement. What you said about the Diffusion Group survey was that "the research implies that the PS3 has the best online." Your words not mine, and not Sony's.
Of course they're my words. I was originally under the impression that it was a statement from Sony but I have since been corrected (many times). However, regardless of who published the survey, what I took from it was that it's trying to say something positive about the PS3 community. To further generalize, it is also saying that, to that effect, it's more positive than the 360 community as it does compare rates to the 360's penetrating.

At any rate, interpretation is what each person makes of it and that is no more wrong than someone's opinion. It doesn't mean anything either way. The data is the data, and you choose to read into it what you will.

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
Danny Ocean said:
Logan Westbrook said:
"What's important to keep in mind is the level of activity over an online service, especially when comparing a no-cost service [PlayStation Network] to a subscription-based service like Xbox Live," said a Microsoft spokesperson.

"When it comes to total entertainment experiences and value, Xbox 360 continues to lead the charge," they said, citing a recently released NPD online gaming report. "Xbox 360 is the hands-down leader in online gaming, with 48 percent of all online gamers using Xbox 360 and Xbox Live to connect with friends, family and competitors."

"This study also says that our members take full advantage of the immersive entertainment experiences over Xbox LIVE, logging the most hours of online play per week (7.3 hours/week) - that's more than PC gaming (6.6 hours/week) and our competition."
Sorry Xbox, I don't think you win this one so cleanly.
First off: nothing has more value than something which is free.
Second: I'd like to know how they know that PC gamers play only 6.6 hours a week.

I mean, god, I've played something like 50 hours in two weeks at some points. Normally when I get a new game.
Keep in mind though that those 6.6 hours are just an average over a randomly selected sum of people that were currently online during whatever week they decided to conduct that survey. It doesn't exactly pertain to you. It just says that the average person spends about 6.6 hours a week playing online computer games. The key word being average.