Microsoft Xbox needs to die.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Programmed_For_Damage said:
I might be in the minority but the PC gamers can keep their mods. There is a reason game developers generate content for their own games; it's because they're good at it. I haven't seen a mod yet that isn't in some way half-arsed or stands out from the original content like dog's balls.
Sorry, but I had to laugh a bit at you saying the reason game developers generate content for their games is that they're good at it. They produce the content because they're paid to do it, and in many cases they enjoy it, but there are plenty of people and companies that are bad at it. Probably as many as a percentage of the developers out there as the percentage of bad modders to good modders.

Also, as far as good mods, I'm sure the people who made or are fans of things like Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, Natural Selection, and plenty of actually well made mods for Elder Scrolls and Fallout games that I've seen would like a word with you. There's a reason many people don't like to play Bethesda titles without mods and it's because the really good user generated stuff tends to be legitimately better than what Bethesda managed. Especially when it comes to things like texture packs.

Mattismen

Jun 10, 2010
That's some bad luck you go there,
I still have my 5 year old arcade model, works like a charm.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
getoffmycloud said:
In other news PC elitists are the lowest form of humanity and should shut up
waitwaitwait, wat? Besides the complete irrelevance to the op, why? Sure 'elitists' are the worst form of humanity, but that has nothing to do with pc, and even then don't shut them up because they have a point. Compare the boxed copy of Skyrim for Xbox to PC. If your disk gets destroyed, how much do you have to pay for a replacement copy on either machine?

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I got 4 words for you:

Sucks to be you

More than 4 words:
Obviously it's your luck, I got my Xbox in February of '06 and had it red ring at about '08, MS repair fixed it and it worked up until july of '11. I had my brothers for about 4 months and then I bought a slim in October, I have had 2 xbox360s in total, this doesn't mean that Microsoft needs to leave the industry, it means that they will make sure their xbox720 survives extensively before release, also the console is functional and has amazing controllers.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Um, 5 years I've had my 360 (Had an issue but I got a repair soon enough) over a year now since I've played it because PC gaming is BETTER IN EVERY WAY.

I agree with the OP on everything they said. Other things I may add are that console games are more expensive, the majority of the community is shit compared and you are limited to a game controller (Which is also shit anyway). PC FTW WOOOOO!

The mods thing is funny/pathetic because the vanilla experience for games like Skyrim is fine on the PC and I played about 70 hours before I put my first mod on (I just wanted a different skin for my dwarven armour). Mods are optional things to make an individuals game improved for them! not so the creators of the mods can 1 up the devs.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Zeckt said:
Meh, it's the same song and dance all over again with nothing really new being said. It's clear that the Xbox 360 is not for you so why the hell are you still buying them?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
MiloP said:
Strazdas said:
so yeah, everything would have been solved in the first place if we didnt degenerate our gamin back to consoles. we were free of them for a short while, and hopefully we are going to be free off them once again.
Loving the use of the word "degenerate" here. Makes it sound like us console gamers are only just discovering the secret of fire while the mighty PC gamers have been using their microwave ovens for some time now :D
It isnt that extreme but yeah, thats the point i was making. we had consoles. then we had gaming computers computers (working ones, not the ones that tried to sell themselves as computers at first). they worked better than consoles. however somehow console manufacturers managed to push back thier product into the market and made many people buy worse product for, often, more money.
Then again, consoles arent the only ones doing this sort of marketing stunts, so raised eyebrows here.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
All these people trying to make me feel guilty for buying xbox? Fuck you, I'll buy what console I like. Dictate to me the positives and negatives all day, but actively trying to make me feel like a bad guy for preferring a certain type of console? No. Screw you entirely.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
I'm happy with the way they've treated me. They gave me two free boxes, the second one being a slim. I'm also fine paying $60 for better service.

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
Shawn MacDonald said:
What I hate about these threads is there is always one person who types this line. "This has not been a problem for me and my Xbox works just fine."
So I can't contribute to this discussion if my Xbox hasn't broken in the five years I've owned it?

Shawn MacDonald said:
Like how mine broke as well and is sitting in my closet never to be played again.
Oh so I'm only allowed to quote my personal experiences if they support the "we hate Microsoft" argument.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Shawn MacDonald said:
What I hate about these threads is there is always one person who types this line. "This has not been a problem for me and my Xbox works just fine." Just fine and dandy random person on the internet who thinks that everybody else must treat their stuff like crap. Like how mine broke as well and is sitting in my closet never to be played again.
Well there are two sides to that:

There are always people who said "I've been through 8 Xboxes!!!"
And those who said "I've had mine since launch day and it's fine!" (I know a guy who can say that).
I, personally, am on my 2nd Xbox since launch day. I will absolutely be buying a new 360 if this one were to break, and will buy the next generation of Xbox console.

Who is right or wrong? All of these threads are anecdotal evidence at best.

Bottom line is that the OP saying that Microsoft needs to die because he's had a bad experience is foolishness. Because of my experiences I'll never eat at East Side Mario's again, or buy a Mazda vehicle. But I'm not about to wish they all go out of business. That's stupid. I just won't give them a cent of my money. As a consumer, that's my power: To close my wallet.

Trying to rally back-pats while soap-boxing on the internet isn't a solution. It's silly.
Stop it.

MiloP

Jan 23, 2009
Strazdas said:
MiloP said:
Strazdas said:
so yeah, everything would have been solved in the first place if we didnt degenerate our gamin back to consoles. we were free of them for a short while, and hopefully we are going to be free off them once again.
Loving the use of the word "degenerate" here. Makes it sound like us console gamers are only just discovering the secret of fire while the mighty PC gamers have been using their microwave ovens for some time now :D
It isnt that extreme but yeah, thats the point i was making. we had consoles. then we had gaming computers computers (working ones, not the ones that tried to sell themselves as computers at first). they worked better than consoles. however somehow console manufacturers managed to push back thier product into the market and made many people buy worse product for, often, more money.
Then again, consoles arent the only ones doing this sort of marketing stunts, so raised eyebrows here.
It can surely never be said that consoles are cheaper than PCs. You buy an Xbox, what were they, 200 quid when they first came out? (Don't quote me on that figure.) That machine can play seven years worth of games. Could a top-end PC seven years ago run top-end games now? No damn way. Unless you future-proofed like hell, which would cost a lot of money anyway, you'd have to keep upgrading the parts of your PC, which is not only expensive, but a real chore to do, in my opinion. Sure, PC games generally RRP at a bit less than consoles but that will never make back the money you spent on your shiny computer bits. Even with the 40quid a year Xbox Live subscription, probably still cheaper, and that only applies to Xbox.

The best you can get here is that if someone buys all the consoles, plays games on them regularly, and does any subscriptions they have to do, they might just about tie with the amount it costs to keep a PC up to snuff. And even that's assuming all the PC parts you buy function properly forever, AND the money one would waste buying games that don't work BECAUSE DRIVERS or something stupid.

EDIT -- AND that's assuming you don't play any subscription based games on the PC, as MMO fans might do.

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
Frybird said:
Trollin', Trollin', Trollin'
Though the threads are swollen
Keep them fanboys trolling
Flamethreeeeeeeaaaad
Ha! Fabuleux!

Chalk another "I've had my 360 since '05 and never had a problem with it" up on the board. Although I'm thinking I might need to replace the controller batteries again soon. That, naturally, is MS fault too, for releasing shoddy products. Damn them.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Well, have you tried not treating your Xbox's and/or controllers like shit?

They might last longer.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I have to admit that I've been through three of them fuckers over the years. Its still weird to think that a games system dies.because you play games on them.......yeah. That was when I switched to the PS3.

If it wasnt for a few of the earlier exclusives then I wouldnt of cared for the 360.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
So dont like a console that has the perception of breaking at the drop of a hat? Whats the alternative? Hop on board with a console where the manufacturer will intentionally rip features away instead?

Dont like having to pay for online play? Whats the alternative? Hop on board with a company that will prevent you from accessing your library of purchased software unless you agree to their terms and conditions no matter how illogically or illegally they word them?

Do not like a console that is not entirely favorable to the developers? What is the alternative? Jump on board with one that Indie presence is either non existent or viewed as competition to be crushed?

Sorry your not fond of your xbox, but really jumping ship is just exchanging one set of problems for a different set. So lets not call for the death of a console because really if we did that for all of our minor bitches there would be no such thing as a console.

Oddly though one thing I do want to point out. The argument

Zeckt said:
Will microsoft ever have gems like Cave Story,
So odd to pick this one out given the fact that it was made by essentially a pirate programmer who it gained its popularity from the freeware/pirates utilizing linux based PMDs used for EMUs such as the
GPx32, Wiz,Dingoo, Cannoo, Pandora, etc. Yet, its first initial legitimate offering was put up on a microsoft platform by way of Windows.

GARBAGE hardware so you have to re-buy the console and controller over and over and they actually have the guts to charge you almost 100$ a year to play games online.
A: Again sorry about your luck with the system. B: I call bullshit on the controller because the 360 branded controller is arguably the best video game controller ever created. Also just because your console fails does NOT mean you cant still use already purchased controllers, thus not buying new ones. C:If your paying microsoft 100$ a year to pay online, and realistically anything greater than 40$ for a years worth of service, YOUR doing something wrong, because it is never difficult to get a years worth of XBL for right at or under 50$

http://deals.woot.com/deals/details/14126165-533d-4fb7-89b4-5c411bdf6f52/12-month-xbox-live-gold-400-ms-points-and-more#5 (this deal is already likely dead, but still this was posted yesterday. At the beginning of the month it was possible via the MS store even to get 1 year of XBL for 35$.)

What is there to defend about the 360 other then brand loyalty?
There are plenty of reasons to defend the 360. The consoles have their strengths and weaknesses. Hell if they didnt, you would never see console flame wars.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
To be honest the only reason I bought a 360 over a PS3 was the exclusives... I'm so dirty. But I wanted my Halo, Mass Effect, Fable (which I DON'T want anymore), Alan Wake, etc. Its probably worth it only because my 360 has yet to explode but once the next console rolls around I'll probably get a PS3. If only for the Ico, SotC remakes and the Last Guardian.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
FalloutJack said:
Zeckt said:
-Red Ring of Microsoft-
That's not fair to the church. Because, as you can see, THEY got better. Microsoft will continue to be a business, the business that decided to make consoles after they say how well Sony was cleaning up. You know how it is.

I see why you did there and loved it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Screamarie said:
.........Okay where are you buying your xboxes? And how do you treat them? Because my mother bought me one for christmas off of Ebay a while back and it's worked fine for years, a few hiccups, but it is getting old after all.
Okay, don't do this. That's blame shifting. The XBox 360 was so notorious for RROD that it spent an estimated billion dollars covering the console with extended warranties. Red Ring of Death is pretty common and has little to do with care of the console. They were poorly made and the company that made it admitted fault. Don't blame the user.

And "it's never happened to me" is never a defense of a product.

I also saw no price hike on xbox live...maybe you're not in the US so we're in different situations, but I don't know what raising in price you're talking about.
The price in America was raised from 50 dollars US to 60 dollars US.