Military recruitment on gaming sites

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
lord pickle said:
I don't think it is a problem as long as they use a little truth in their advertising.
Not only showing off a marine in a shiny new uniform defending the U.S. but also showing that same marine short one leg after getting too close to an IDE or another one homeless after suffering some massive P.T.S.D. and being unable to cope with life after serving in the military. It would kind of screw with the usual message in the ads so maybe they should show the negative ad once of every five positive ads or something.
Wouldn't that be like having a really romanticised view of being in the army depicted in your advertisements, then along the bottom having the words: 'Disclaimer: Actually, it sucks. You WILL either die or be horrifically injured. Sign up today!' you can't advertise something by making it look bad, so that's a rubbish idea. They don't do alcohol ads and then show one that just has a dead man and a narrator saying: 'This man drank too much of our beer and died, because alcohol is really bad for you. Now buy some!' No one would do that.

OP: No, there's nothing wrong with that. They advertise military jobs on the TV, so why not websites as well?

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
MindBullets said:
Anyone who joins after seeing an ad on a gaming site was probably going to join anyway.

But I'd rather they not advertise on site that children browse too. You don't want to start giving them the impression that war is just like CoD.
If a child gets to recruitment age and thinks war is like a game then maybe its a good thing he gets killed on the battlefield and hopefully before he breeds and further clouds the gene pool. [/sarcasm] A kid who thinks that war is like a game wouldnt pass the entrance exam.

In all serious notes, thats kind of a valid point but should not be up to the military to show war is hell in regards to a game if that message needs to be made. that should be on the developers of the game to do that rather than portray a glorious victory woohoooo lets all party now that we killed em all! but instead have tragic music and pan the camera to the dead an wounded, then to a graveside service with family crying to show that its not all fun and games.

Qtoy

Apr 21, 2011
Being that I already plan on going into the army, it doesn't bug me at all. Jet1971 put it really well when he talked about how it's not any different from ads that also may or may not apply to the average person on this site.

Also
bob-2000 said:
I've been seeing more and more of these advertisements on this site, which means that the army is using the gaming community to fish for new cannon fodder. It bothers me that the Escapist would allow this.
Thoughts?
What? Soldier does not equal cannon fodder. Games may paint war as "Go in, get shot, you served country! Yay!" for the average soldier, but from my understanding, that's not the way it works.
The way it's been portrayed to me by testimonials and documentaries is "Go in. Stay in... Patrol, Do very little, engage hostiles if there are any, and once in a blue moon, attack."

Gettin back on topic, no, it doesn't bug me at all.

Kryzantine

Feb 18, 2010
I don't even see what the deal is, correlating these advertisements and serving on the ground altogether in the army. The army doesn't just have soldiers that play video games, they are integrating video games into their fighting style. A friend of mine was at a robotics exhibition in St Louis a few weeks back, and several branches of the gov't had booths there - the Army, Navy, FBI, even the CIA - all talking about how they're hiring guys coming out of top-tiered schools to work on military technologies based off of civilian designs. He was at the Army booth, testing out their unmanned drone technology? It literally uses a 360 controller. There's a sweet irony in the fact that the way using a drone in MW2 may literally become the way the real army uses a drone, not even changing the control scheme.

The DoD has 1.2 million civilian employees stateside. Odds are good that the army actually is targeting video games, both players and technologies, because that's what we're growing up on, and why train recruits to new systems and likely suffer some problems with the training associated with these systems, when they can just base their system off of what 75% of the country has grown up on the prior 15 years?

I mean, I don't know the exact position that they are targeting gaming sites to fill, probably low-level jobs at DARPA, but I know they aren't targeting gamers to serve in Iraq. And a lot of government organizations are recruiting gamers for similar purposes - the CIA in particular. They feel that if they base their technologies around what most kids are doing, then their workers will come in with a lot more knowledge and experience than they think. And for the most part, they're right.

blue heartless

Legacy
Aug 28, 2005
In this day and age, where electronic warfare is quickly on the rise, I am more surprised that it hasn't been done until now. Target the technological savvy. It's the greatest asset on any battlefield. If you are worried about brainwashing the youth or glorifying the military don't be. There are already plenty of people out there who do that for free.

If you are still bothered by it, write your local congressman. They get a lot done I hear.

Feb 19, 2010
JIst00 said:
SNIPERFOX ft. Harry P.Ness said:
i think most cold war fantasist wank games have this slogan:

OMGOMG OMG JOIN TEH ARMIES U CAN GROUW UR LEGS BACK AND KILL LOLOL CARRY TANKS UP UR ASS JOIN THE US ARMY NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWW!
Sold, where do I sign? =P

you have to talk to mr. puppy.
hello mr. puppy! OH MY GOD YOUR A GORILAA!

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
You would be surprised at the number of nerd/geek/game enthusiasts in the US Army alone. Never had to go without a D&D Tabletop game, nor did I have to go far to talk about RPG's in general or other video game genres.
They're not all meathead idiots. Not even in the slightest.
My CO in BCT played Ultima Online religiously (in fact he put us through a hell week because some Private decided to knock on his door during a marathon session which resulted in my CO's toon being PK'd and losing ALL his gear.)
By the end of BCT, Drill Sergeants brought in their consoles and had vs. matches with the trainees, though winning meant extra PT the next morning.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
bob-2000 said:
This question obviously applies to those who are getting army recruitment advertisements on this site (American users, mostly).

Does it really bother anyone else that the army is recruiting through gaming sites such as this one? It just seems wrong to use video games as a method to get recruits for the military. I've been seeing more and more of these advertisements on this site, which means that the army is using the gaming community to fish for new cannon fodder. It bothers me that the Escapist would allow this.
Thoughts?
Ugh, whats with the use of the term "cannon fodder"? Any proffesional army from just about any nation doesn't activley send it soldiers off to die, especially the U.S. Army, seeing as how it spends more money on personal protection that every other army on Earth.

There seems to be a general lack of knowledge about how militaries work on the Escapist, but that is probably a discussion for the R&P Forum.

OT: Why does it bother you, you don't have to join, and its not like we don't get advertisement for other stuff on the Escapist.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
ScoopMeister said:
lord pickle said:
I don't think it is a problem as long as they use a little truth in their advertising.
Not only showing off a marine in a shiny new uniform defending the U.S. but also showing that same marine short one leg after getting too close to an IDE or another one homeless after suffering some massive P.T.S.D. and being unable to cope with life after serving in the military. It would kind of screw with the usual message in the ads so maybe they should show the negative ad once of every five positive ads or something.
Wouldn't that be like having a really romanticised view of being in the army depicted in your advertisements, then along the bottom having the words: 'Disclaimer: Actually, it sucks. You WILL either die or be horrifically injured. Sign up today!' you can't advertise something by making it look bad, so that's a rubbish idea. They don't do alcohol ads and then show one that just has a dead man and a narrator saying: 'This man drank too much of our beer and died, because alcohol is really bad for you. Now buy some!' No one would do that.

OP: No, there's nothing wrong with that. They advertise military jobs on the TV, so why not websites as well?
Web ads are pretty damn cheap. If one chunk of web ads(typically counted in thousands of unique visits) gets a recruit, the ads worked. If they got 2, they're golden.

kayisking

Sep 14, 2010
SNIPERFOX ft. Harry P.Ness said:
i think most cold war fantasist wank games have this slogan:

OMGOMG OMG JOIN TEH ARMIES U CAN GROUW UR LEGS BACK AND KILL LOLOL CARRY TANKS UP UR ASS JOIN THE US ARMY NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWW!
Really, if you're a big enough idiot to fall for that it might just be a good thing that they're using those idiots for cannon fodder.

lord pickle

Apr 9, 2009
ScoopMeister said:
lord pickle said:

If memory serves me t.v. ads for drinking do have the phrase "please enjoy responsibily" at the end of them. Maybe they could have another group of ads like MADD does ads to provide a counter balance. I would hate to see some 18 year ruin his life because he signed up for the military before he was made aware of the full gravity of the situation.

Dense_Electric

Jul 29, 2009
So they're running an ad, what's the problem? The first thing they're going to get drilled into them at boot is that the military is serious business anyway, and disillusions are going to fly right out of their heads. Besides, most soldiers these days either stay on bases on allied soil or sit behind a computer somewhere, front-line combat roles are definitely a minority.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Adds?

Haven't gotten any from the military, not here, nor any other gaming website.
But I understand why they'd recruit from these channels, seeing as a lot of youngsters frequently visit these places.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
As long as they only accept applicants who are of legal age, then I don't see any problem in their advertisement.

People of legal age will be capable of - and responsible for - their own choices, and being told that this opportunity exist merely allows them to consider it along with copious other career choices, and simply reject it if it's not something they're interested in.

lord pickle

Apr 9, 2009
ScoopMeister said:
lord pickle said:

If memory serves me t.v. ads for drinking do have the phrase "please enjoy responsibily" at the end of them. Maybe they could have another group of ads like MADD does ads to provide a counter balance. I would hate to see some 18 year ruin his life because he signed up for the military before he was made aware of the full gravity of the situation.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Blah blah blah, pubclub.

Anyway, I'm fine with military ads. It's not like you have to sign up. Most people should know by now that military = chance of being shot.