Military recruitment on gaming sites

Nopraptor

Jun 18, 2010
living in Israel, I'm gonna join the army anyway so... besides so what if they advertise here? they have the same right to do so as any other organization. and I don't think it's very nice to call the people who defend your country and it's intrests "cannon fodder", you need to learn where your bread is buttered

Rensenhito

Jan 28, 2009
I dunno. War games are different from actual war, of course, so planting these ads on a gaming site seems like it'd be a recipe for unfortunate illusions about the latter, followed by jarring disillusionment.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
I would only be bothered if the tagline was
?Join the Army: It?s like Call of Duty, only with better graphics!?

Not much a problem for me. I think we need to save our ire for things like that stupid Meebo thing a while back.

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
ScoopMeister said:
lord pickle said:
I don't think it is a problem as long as they use a little truth in their advertising.
Not only showing off a marine in a shiny new uniform defending the U.S. but also showing that same marine short one leg after getting too close to an IDE or another one homeless after suffering some massive P.T.S.D. and being unable to cope with life after serving in the military. It would kind of screw with the usual message in the ads so maybe they should show the negative ad once of every five positive ads or something.
Wouldn't that be like having a really romanticised view of being in the army depicted in your advertisements, then along the bottom having the words: 'Disclaimer: Actually, it sucks. You WILL either die or be horrifically injured. Sign up today!' you can't advertise something by making it look bad, so that's a rubbish idea. They don't do alcohol ads and then show one that just has a dead man and a narrator saying: 'This man drank too much of our beer and died, because alcohol is really bad for you. Now buy some!' No one would do that.

OP: No, there's nothing wrong with that. They advertise military jobs on the TV, so why not websites as well?
Well, I don't know about other countries, but in Canada (ontario specifically) all alcohol ads have some little thing somewhere advising that 'our product be consumed in moderation, please do not drink and drive' or something like that.

They could have a similar disclaimer. I don't know what something like that would say, but it doesn't hurt the advertiser to admit their product might be dangerous, but come off like they care about you and your safety.

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
freaper said:
Adds?

=> Addblock, and all your problems are solved

(don't want to cause problems to the website with this post)

Addblock?
That exists!?

I wish i had heard of that mod while i was playing WOW. I wonder if the top guilds use it?
Adds are a pain for the off-tank. :)

DesiPrinceX09

Mar 14, 2010
Army and Marine ads? Oddly enough I haven't seen a single one while throughout any visit to this site even back in the days when I just came here for ZP (seriously, I have never seen one) and I live in the USA. But I don't really care, they're just trying to glorify and sugar coat the army and the life of a soldier to make it appealing for possible new (and young) candidates. The people who DO join are the ones who are not fooled by these candy coated advertisements (or at least I hope).

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
syrus27 said:
bob-2000 said:
which means that the army is using the gaming community to fish for new cannon fodder.
You clearly don't have a very good understanding of the army.

Also it makes perfect sense for the army to advertise on gaming websites, not least because the vast majority of gamers are the perfect demographic for Army canditacy (17-25 year old males.)

And furthermore, I bet you've played an FPS, I bet most people on this site have, that means at some point, you have considered holding a gun and shooting it, for the entertainment or for the reward, and that essentially is what the army does.

And why is there a moral issue here the Army (mostly) does good work and they need new recruits, if you don't like it, don't sign up.

EDIT: 500th post, is there pizza?
The average age of gamers appears to be closer to 35-37 in the US. http://www.theaveragegamer.com/averagegamers/ Considering that this age is too old for ideal infantry recruitment, why advertise primarily infantry and other enlisted personnel positions on gaming sites? It might be that they haven't paid much attention to the numbers, but military organizations are usually pretty on the ball with administrative work, so this seems unlikely. Not sure how to explain it really.

As for your second point, I'm not sure I understand. Are you claiming that people join the military primarily in order to entertain themselves by firing their weapons? From the military people I know, they hope to go through their days without having to do that. I guess they enjoy the firing range though.

There is no moral issue. The ethical issue is whether the military should be able to advertise on websites intended for a wide range of people including children. My preference is that children should not be exposed to the kind of combat glorification that takes place in much of the US military's advertising.

grats on the 500th post btw :D

Chris Sandford

Nope, no title.
Apr 11, 2010
I dont know if its been pointed out, but i have yet to see an ad for the Army, however i have seen numerous adds for the Marine Corps, which is pretty different.

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
Don't see it as moraly questionable.
See it as a lesson why regenerating health is wrong.
Oh god my arm!! Don't worry just hump this wall.
(expect in saints row, works in those games XD)

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Vicarious Vangaurd said:
What's wrong with it? Just because someone advertises something doesn't mean you have to buy it/do it.

(Also I cannot believe you aren't using adblock.)
Ouch. Enjoy probation there buddy.

OT: Well, I don't see them as I'm in the U.K. so, even if I did, I can't join since it's the U.S. military and not the U.K. one, so it doesn't really effect me. That being said, I still wouldn't join anyway as I don't really agree with the notion of the military in the first place.

Also, it's an ad, I think we're intelligent enough to ignore it.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
bob-2000 said:
This question obviously applies to those who are getting army recruitment advertisements on this site (American users, mostly).

Does it really bother anyone else that the army is recruiting through gaming sites such as this one? It just seems wrong to use video games as a method to get recruits for the military. I've been seeing more and more of these advertisements on this site, which means that the army is using the gaming community to fish for new cannon fodder. It bothers me that the Escapist would allow this.
Thoughts?
Doesn't bother me at all. If they want to pay for the space then they can pay for the space. It's not the same as a pro-choice or pro-life group buying space, because it's not politically motivated. They simply need to fill some rolls, and it's one of many places where they can do so. Recruiters still show up on college campuses and at shopping malls-I've been approached at both-and the result is the same as it is here. If the citizen has enough of a sense of himself to politely decline and say that he has no interest, that's that.

If you have a problem with how the military is being used, then I agree with you, and I think you should focus on that.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
In unrelated news, the United States Army is being crippled by having to defend several thousand cases of "Teabagging" reported to have happened during their recent military campaigns across several continents. Staff Sergent Qu1ckSc0per77 said,"Lolz, there just camping noobz anyways. U mad?"

Playing computer games doesn't make you a better killer or train you to use weapons. It makes you a better video game player, and trains you to use a controller, but I think these adds are just more likely to come up, as we are always talking about war games, weapons and military-esque stuff, and that's what the google ads see when trying to target the site.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
bob-2000 said:
This question obviously applies to those who are getting army recruitment advertisements on this site (American users, mostly).

Does it really bother anyone else that the army is recruiting through gaming sites such as this one? It just seems wrong to use video games as a method to get recruits for the military. I've been seeing more and more of these advertisements on this site, which means that the army is using the gaming community to fish for new cannon fodder. It bothers me that the Escapist would allow this.
Thoughts?
So what? Where are they allowed to advertise then? I'm fine with them advertising wherever they want.

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
It's advertising, and it's a VOLUNTEER military, is anyone being forced to join from the ads? No? Didn't think so, what was the problem again?

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
Vicarious Vangaurd said:
What's wrong with it? Just because someone advertises something doesn't mean you have to buy it/do it.
Exactly. No one is being forced into anything, and if you're not interested just ignore it.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Why would it bother me? Gaming sites have a lot of youngsters on it. Youngsters are often undecided, and the military is always an option open to them. It isn't like they are trying to subvert culture or dominate the minds of children. They are just doing what they can to keep recruitment up. Honestly, this is silly.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Hero in a half shell said:
In unrelated news, the United States Army is being crippled by having to defend several thousand cases of "Teabagging" reported to have happened during their recent military campaigns across several continents. Staff Sergent Qu1ckSc0per77 said,"Lolz, there just camping noobz anyways. U mad?"

Playing computer games doesn't make you a better killer or train you to use weapons. It makes you a better video game player, and trains you to use a controller, but I think these adds are just more likely to come up, as we are always talking about war games, weapons and military-esque stuff, and that's what the google ads see when trying to target the site.
Actually I credit Silent Scope 2 (Arcade) for my BCT BRM Score of 37 out of 40.