Military recruitment on gaming sites

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
There are gaming site with ads for my country's navy.It really doesn't bother me.They always need people.
Besides,it's conforting to know that even if you fuck up your life completely,you'll always be able to join the army to help get your life back in order.

Also,telling me I can become a submarine captain brightens my day.Yeah,I can can't I?
I could be at the helm of the deadliest machines ever devised by mankind.I'm that awesome.

Mar 9, 2010
MindBullets said:
Anyone who joins after seeing an ad on a gaming site was probably going to join anyway.

But I'd rather they not advertise on site that children browse too. You don't want to start giving them the impression that war is just like CoD.
You have to be over 13 to join this site though. If people still want to join the army 3 years later then they were going to join because of more than just an advert and a game series.

OT: What this guy and I said. If you join the army, it probably isn't going to be because of an advert and a game. If you do join the army because of an advert and a game then you kind of earned any poor experience you had.

NOTE: By poor experience I don't mean casualties, that has nothing to do with the reason you joined up. I mean if you dislike the entire experience as a whole and wished you'd never joined.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Not really. On the other hand, if they marketed with something like "live the real Call of Duty experience!" then it'd be a whole different barrel of fish...

Romblen

Oct 10, 2009
I don't see any problem with it. The military needs people to sign up, so they advertise. It's not like the military is forcing anyone to sign up. It's just doing what a lot of organisations do, advertising.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Maybe the whole problem lies with the absence of any "cannon fodder" in advanced armies.

It'd be a great way to utilize anyone stupid enough to enlist merely based on "that there was a pretty advert on my favourite gaming site".

And to the suggestion of going the alcohol/tobacco route of adding health and safety warnings on advertising posters: shouldn't you be pestering car manufacturers about their advertising? Car crashes kill thousands of people every year you know. Shouldn't that be on those shiny posters?

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Nothing wrong with advertising here. Military work is an avenue I'm thinking of looking down after my degree and a lot of people have had fantastic careers in it that they've regretted having to retire from. And if there are actually some people who think it'll just be like Call of Duty, I'm pretty sure they'll get weeded out well before they can become a danger to themselves and others.

curty129

Jul 24, 2009
JIst00 said:
SNIPERFOX ft. Harry P.Ness said:
i think most cold war fantasist wank games have this slogan:

OMGOMG OMG JOIN TEH ARMIES U CAN GROUW UR LEGS BACK AND KILL LOLOL CARRY TANKS UP UR ASS JOIN THE US ARMY NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWW!
Sold, where do I sign? =P
IF I ALREADY HAVE LEGS, DOES THAT MEAN I'LL HAVE 4?!?!!!!!!!!!?????!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
DOES IT MATTER THAT I'M ENGLISH!?

Sparrow said:
Not really. On the other hand, if they marketed with something like "live the real Call of Duty experience!" then it'd be a whole different barrel of fish...
Exactly what do you know about this other barrel of fish? [sub]It might be best if you forget everything you know about the other fishes, my friend. If you don't wish you join them.[/sub]

OT: No, it doesn't bother me. Why would it bother anyone?

Jun 23, 2008
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
What sucks is when it pops up and covers half my screen in marine corp advertisement and hides the close ad button like its a sniper in the brush.
But that's an argument against obnoxious advertising in general, since the complaint just as easily applies to Axe Body Spray or Portal 2 or the new Dodge Ram Pickup.

Back on the subject, the only game to which the US Army points as exemplifying the military experience is their own, America's Army. Has anyone here played the most recent release? Does anyone know if it allows for regenerating health, multiple rifle hits or carrying enough weapons to arm John Matrix?

I played Operation Flashpoint during its first run (the engine of which is used in Army training, and got so used to dying with the first shot that I flinched the one time I survived a bullet. I eventually quit in frustration from getting killed so often.

238U.

Nydestroyer

Jun 12, 2011
i say leave us gamers alone...go focus on all the burt out althlets and such :p what else is football good for but future grunts!

Apr 24, 2008
Isn't the normal tactic to focus on recruiting in poor areas where the young feel hopeless?

The militiary has never been overly concerned with ethics or morality, advertising on a gaming site seems like the least of it.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
Dr Snakeman said:
FieryTrainwreck said:
Remember when America used to fight wars for good?

Remember that one time?
HAHAHA! Oh, wow, you're completely hilarious and edgy! I can tell that you are the kind of guy who doesn't believe all the government-controlled information that "they" try to shove down your throat! You understand what's really going on! You clearly posess the only functioning mind in a world full of sheep!

Ugh. Shut up. That's not even what this thread is about.

God, I can't tell you how much I despise people with your attitude. The fact that you can make snarky, ignorant blanket statements about the government or military of an entire nation does not make you special.

On topic: No, it doesn't bother me. Also, I agree with the chorus of posters who take issue with your use of the phrase "cannon fodder". Soldiers haven't been "cannon fodder" in decades.
Right back at you, buddy. I can't stand people who buy every bullshit line, hook and sinker, going along with the most corrupt and greedy bunch of assholes in the world because some propaganda campaign perpetrated by the media still portrays us as "God's Country" or "The Greatest Nation In the World". We're a bunch of goddamn crooks chewing through resources and the environment at a rate that will have future generations cursing our names. But hey, at least we successfully forced democracy on every oil-rich country in the world. Those democracies we toppled because they didn't go along with our plans for economic dominance of the planet? Yeah, ignore those.

Tool.

I don't hate the troops. I don't mind the recruitment ads. I do think blind acceptance of our blatant misuse of military might for DECADES is pathetic.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
I find it ironic. The army also advertises in Game Informer, because gamers are known for their physical prosess.

JackWestJr

Apr 9, 2011
SODAssault said:
Remember how many people ran out and enlisted after they saw this?

Really? Huh, it was all over the news. In fact, it's the only precedent in existence that provides conclusive evidence of people being led to believe by the media that the military is a powertrip of murder and invincibility (before the government-funded interactive propaganda tools such as Call of Duty or Battlefield hit the scene). When most people watch movies like this (with the obvious exception of this one example), they go "that looks like fun, but I should really keep in mind that this is, after all, just a movie, and therefore unlikely to be an accurate representation of a potential career choice".

Gamers, however, are a feeble-minded and unrealistic breed. When they play Call of Duty, the fact that the gun on the screen fires every time they pull the controller's trigger completely overrides their discretion, and instead of saying "the military probably isn't like this video game at all", or "hey, I just realized that I probably don't operate a rifle with a thumbstick", they immediately conclude "HOLY FUCKING SHIT DID YOU SEE ME SHOOT THAT GUY IN THE HEAD, WHY ISN'T SEAL TEAM SIX HERE WITH A GROUP OF SUPERMODELS AND OZZY OSBOURNE TO RECRUIT MY AWESOMENESS INTO THE CORPS OF WANTON MURDER AND UNSPECIALIZED DESTRUCTION". This sad phenomenon leaves gamers especially susceptible to advertisements from the armed forces, and is effectively predatory marketing by deliberately exploiting the stupidity of your average gamer.

Thus, it is utterly disgusting that the armed forces would dare to attempt passive recruiting on a gaming site where nobody is cognizant enough to know the difference between reality... and games where bullets only kill you if enough of them hit you within a small frame of time, unfired bullets warp from ejected magazines and appear in the magazines yet to be utilized, and your friends cannot die until a particularly dramatic moment even if you shoot them yourself.
You wouldn't happen to be American would you

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
I find it kind of funny. Quite a few gamers would never be able to pass the army tests. Hell, there is no way I could ever join...assuming I ever wanted to (I'll support soldiers, but not war).

remedyX

Jun 8, 2011
FieryTrainwreck said:

Remember that one time?
As opposed to what other country? You singling the US out for a reason, or do you not realise that every country on the planet looks out for themselves?

Remember those many times FieryTranwreck imposed his set of morals and understanding of present conflicts onto the Escapist?

I don't see the problem. It makes sense from an advertisers perspective, while advertisers are admittedly the devil, if someone wants to join the Army I don't see the issue.

remedyX

Jun 8, 2011
iRevanchist said:
I don't think most gamers have the physical requirements to be in the army.
Heaven forbid anyone change their lifestyle. That's impossible right? Stereotypes are universally true, and even though most teenagers play video-games the people who visit a gaming related website must all be slobs.

I mean its not as though people can go outside and exercise, do a few sets of pushups a day and improve themselves. Nope. If you're a gamer you're trapped forever. Excuse me while I wipe cheeto-dust off my $200 Razer keyboard and sweat from my unshaven neckbeard for the 15th time today.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
FieryTrainwreck said:
Dr Snakeman said:
FieryTrainwreck said:

Remember that one time?
HAHAHA! Oh, wow, you're completely hilarious and edgy! I can tell that you are the kind of guy who doesn't believe all the government-controlled information that "they" try to shove down your throat! You understand what's really going on! You clearly posess the only functioning mind in a world full of sheep!

Ugh. Shut up. That's not even what this thread is about.

God, I can't tell you how much I despise people with your attitude. The fact that you can make snarky, ignorant blanket statements about the government or military of an entire nation does not make you special.

On topic: No, it doesn't bother me. Also, I agree with the chorus of posters who take issue with your use of the phrase "cannon fodder". Soldiers haven't been "cannon fodder" in decades.
Right back at you, buddy. I can't stand people who buy every bullshit line, hook and sinker, going along with the most corrupt and greedy bunch of assholes in the world because some propaganda campaign perpetrated by the media still portrays us as "God's Country" or "The Greatest Nation In the World". We're a bunch of goddamn crooks chewing through resources and the environment at a rate that will have future generations cursing our names. But hey, at least we successfully forced democracy on every oil-rich country in the world. Those democracies we toppled because they didn't go along with our plans for economic dominance of the planet? Yeah, ignore those.

Tool.

I don't hate the troops. I don't mind the recruitment ads. I do think blind acceptance of our blatant misuse of military might for DECADES is pathetic.
Yep. Exactly the kind of thing I was talking about.

How, exactly, are we "crooks"? Yes, the wars in the Middle East might have been ill-advised, but immoral? I don't think so.

And you can't honestly think that our history of imperialism and economic exploitation is the worst one out there. In fact, given the history of every nation on Earth, the U.S. is to be commended on a relative lack of times that it has really screwed anyone over, militarily, economically, or otherwise.

It's late, and I'm losing my train of thought (which, admittedly, was already hard to follow). Point is, you are blowing the injustices that the United States has committed way out of porportion. You think that just because we're the popular country to hate, then we must really be the bad guys, and are assuming that all the selfish little things we've done in the past makes us a horrible country. You are so very wrong, and yet your attitude is so very common in the modern world. I don't like dealing with it, especially not when it has no business in a conversation. Thus, my disgusted reaction.

If that made any sense at all, good. If not, then screw it, I don't want to talk about this anymore.

Either way, I'm done here. I'm going to go listen to classic Disney songs on YouTube.