Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Baldr said:
Rainboq said:
silverbullet1989 said:
FEichinger said:
silverbullet1989 said:
would someone mind explaining to me why windows 8 is going to be so bad? not that im interested in switching over to it, windows 7 is just too good in my opinion. Are microsoft trying to make windows 8 locked down like xbox live?
Metro Launch Screen which effectively splits the whole thing into two seperate interfaces, Accounts tied to Windows Live, Software Store forcing similarly expensive certification as for the XBOX. Oh, and it's totally designed for tablets, while it is a desktop OS.

Of course, Minecraft will work the same way as it used to, as a non-certified desktop application. But it shows a "OHMAHGAWD IT'S NOT CERTIFIED, IT MIGHT BE MALWARE!!!!!" message, unless you switch them off, and Microsoft could choose to just plain refuse to allow installing them whenever they like.

Right now I'm glad I'm running Linux and Gaming support is growing.
Thanks for clearing that up... but im curious as to the certification cost which is similar to that of xbox live, does that mean a developer has to pay royalties to Microsoft in order for them to host their product? and would that entail the god awful patch / update process the consoles have to endure? where by a developer has to pay for a patch to go into the certification process before becoming available to download for the general public?
Certification is around the ballpark of 40,000 USD.
No it is not. Certification does require a Microsoft developer license fee, which Mojang already has(with Xbox 360 version of Minecraft).
Then why is that the figure being tossed around by the devs of Fez?

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
They seem to agree that Window 8 provides an unpleasant vista into the future of PC gaming
Still, you have to agree that, looking at the success of iOS and Android, Windows 8 is an operating system for the new millennium. Then again, the lukewarm reception of the Zune and Windows Phone 7 may indicate that Microsoft just doesn't have the right kind of XP to tackle the mobile market.

Belated

Feb 2, 2011
I'm not sure I understand what the big deal is about Windows 8. From what I've heard, it's just Windows 7 with a redesigned, simplified UI for stupids. In fact, I've heard that you can turn off enough options to effectively turn it back into Windows 7.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Crono1973 said:
Baldr said:
Rainboq said:
silverbullet1989 said:
FEichinger said:
silverbullet1989 said:
would someone mind explaining to me why windows 8 is going to be so bad? not that im interested in switching over to it, windows 7 is just too good in my opinion. Are microsoft trying to make windows 8 locked down like xbox live?
Metro Launch Screen which effectively splits the whole thing into two seperate interfaces, Accounts tied to Windows Live, Software Store forcing similarly expensive certification as for the XBOX. Oh, and it's totally designed for tablets, while it is a desktop OS.

Of course, Minecraft will work the same way as it used to, as a non-certified desktop application. But it shows a "OHMAHGAWD IT'S NOT CERTIFIED, IT MIGHT BE MALWARE!!!!!" message, unless you switch them off, and Microsoft could choose to just plain refuse to allow installing them whenever they like.

Thanks for clearing that up... but im curious as to the certification cost which is similar to that of xbox live, does that mean a developer has to pay royalties to Microsoft in order for them to host their product? and would that entail the god awful patch / update process the consoles have to endure? where by a developer has to pay for a patch to go into the certification process before becoming available to download for the general public?
No it is not. Certification does require a Microsoft developer license fee, which Mojang already has(with Xbox 360 version of Minecraft).
...and how much is this license?
$50/Individual & $100/Company(per year) with game revenues on the Microsoft system under $25,000. After $25,000 Microsoft gets in touch with your company and works out finer details, which can get complicated. Microsoft has the option to waive fees under certain conditions, I know this because our fee got waived for the first year(It helped we won the Microsoft Imagine Cup Game Dev Competition)

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Rainboq said:
Baldr said:
Rainboq said:
silverbullet1989 said:
FEichinger said:
silverbullet1989 said:

Then why is that the figure being tossed around by the devs of Fez?
That was for a recertification of a game with revenue over $25,000. I don't know if his developer license had past or there are penalties for recertification, we haven't run into that issue yet. But any game I know of as long as you have the license can certify a game for free.

Nocturnus

Oct 2, 2007
Mygaffer said:
Microsoft is moving to close the operating system. Is everyone here really so gung-ho about having a Microsoft App store built into their OS? I am not. The tablet and phone versions will be closed, meaning only Microsoft approved software will run on it and the whole Metro part of Windows 8 is going to be the same thing. No one seems to be bringing this up much though.
Every tablet and phone out there already does this. Apple, android, you name it.

The PC version will not be restricted to the store. You can still add regular, non-store windows applications and games to the metro interface. There is also a version of the Surface that will have full Windows functionality.

Not many bring it up because most running the release preview will tell you that there really is no change in functionality aside from a learning curve with the new UI.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Belated said:
I'm not sure I understand what the big deal is about Windows 8. From what I've heard, it's just Windows 7 with a redesigned, simplified UI for stupids. In fact, I've heard that you can turn off enough options to effectively turn it back into Windows 7.
Everything else aside it makes you wonder why one would need to buy Windows 8, doesn't it?

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Baldr said:
Crono1973 said:
Baldr said:
Rainboq said:
silverbullet1989 said:
FEichinger said:
silverbullet1989 said:

$50/Individual & $100/Company(per year) with game revenues on the Microsoft system under $25,000. After $25,000 Microsoft gets in touch with your company and works out finer details, which can get complicated. Microsoft has the option to waive fees under certain conditions, I know this because our fee got waived for the first year(It helped we won the Microsoft Imagine Cup Game Dev Competition)
Sounds like a mess considering devs could just release a game on PC without all that hassle.

Belated

Feb 2, 2011
RandV80 said:
Belated said:
Everything else aside it makes you wonder why one would need to buy Windows 8, doesn't it?
Yup. And that's why I decided not to [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/538.389036-Designing-Computer-Parts-Advice] when I designed my new rig. Who needs to wait for 8 to come out when 7 is delicious on its own? Heck, even XP still rocks.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
Well, according to the alternating rule of Windows releases (every other Windows version is crap) Windows 8 was going to suck anyway.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Johnson McGee said:
Well, according to the alternating rule of Windows releases (every other Windows version is crap) Windows 8 was going to suck anyway.
Do people ever grow tired of posting this?

It's like this, the alternating rule can be viewed in different ways depending on if you include NT OS's prior to XP. It really is tiring to see someone let something silly like this make up their mind for them.

Maybe Win 8 is a bad OS and guess what, maybe Win 9 will be too. I mean, if you just refuse to give Win 8 a chance because of this alternating BS, doesn't that mean that you will be buying Win 9 on Day 1, no questions asked?

See how ridiculous it is?

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
GAunderrated said:
Well now we have both Gabe and Notch saying screw windows 8. I hope many other developers/publishers also follow suit once they realize just how bad it would be for PC gaming.
Hopefully they'll switch to linux....well valve is starting to support it at least.

Also relevant, apparently Windows 8 has some sort of "Authentication" process that prevents dual booting OS's.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Just the very fact that Notch would have to work with Microsoft to make sure that Minecraft is certified to run on Windows 8 speaks to how it won't be a very open system. We might be getting a distorted one-sided view of things, but if being certified on an OS only meant buying a license, then they would not be needing to call people in to work on certification.

It might just be that Microsoft is just adding it's own program store, but they'd be silly not to close off their system in tandem. Steam is already running strong, and there are even other ways to buy digital games. Unless Microsoft's store is really innovative, then it'll just be redundant and not used unless they close the OS.

But then, they'd get sued, I guess. Apple's been doing this, but has always been. Microsoft turning into a closed OS would be removing a large...

...oh wait, I still use XP. Thppppt :p

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Waaghpowa said:
GAunderrated said:
Well now we have both Gabe and Notch saying screw windows 8. I hope many other developers/publishers also follow suit once they realize just how bad it would be for PC gaming.
Hopefully they'll switch to linux....well valve is starting to support it at least.

Also relevant, apparently Windows 8 has some sort of "Authentication" process that prevents dual booting OS's.
Well, I have it dual booted with Vista on one machine and had it dual booted with 7 on another. Maybe there is something in the final release but right now, it works fine with dual boot.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Crono1973 said:
Baldr said:
Crono1973 said:
Baldr said:
Rainboq said:
silverbullet1989 said:
FEichinger said:
silverbullet1989 said:

Sounds like a mess considering devs could just release a game on PC without all that hassle.
The license also allows developers to certify and release games on Win Phone and XBLA. There is no real reason to certify a game for Win8 unless your going to release it on Win8 app store, or you already have the license and want to make sure it works with Win8.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Gods, Windows 8. My problem with Windows 8 starts years ago, actually. Mid-XP era I think. A friend of mine was telling me about Microsoft's new initiative to make you pay for your Microsoft software monthly or yearly, like your Internet or cable.

You know Office 365? They were pitching that to IT people before "the cloud" became a marketing meme. How to make a room full of IT people extremely angry: Sell them something like proto-365 was pitched. They sold it to the IT guys like they sold it to the CIOs, and the IT guys saw all the problems. They realized software-as-a-service would make make licensing issues worse, backups uncontrollable, downtime an even bigger emergency because you can't even make Powerpoint presentations or print a file while waiting for the Internet to come up, offer several fewer nines than Microsoft's current product, remove ability to control when upgrades and UI changes happen, cost more over the life of a PC, and so on.

But then someone invented "the cloud" and Microsoft jumped on it with SkyDrive and 365 as fast as Ballmer's behemoth can do anything.

And now we get to Windows 8. Make a Microsoft login! Your apps and data will follow you between machines! Your desktop looks like your laptop looks like your phone looks like your tablet! Get on Microsoft's bad side and maybe it ALL GOES AWAY! Ain't it grand?

Office 365 was the opening salvo in their attempts to make software a service charge like your Internet connection is, with the same punishment if you miss a payment. Windows 8 is the next one.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
Matthew94 said:
John the Gamer said:
Isn't it Microsoft's tradition to screw up every other OS?

2000=Good, ME=Bad, XP=Good, Vista=Bad, Win7=Good, Win8=Bad

Well, more or less. I'm not an expert on such things. Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is; NO ONE SHOULD BE SURPRISED. AT ALL.
It's actually more complex than that.

XP = Bad, XP SP2 = good, Vista = Bad, Vista SP1 = Good, W7 = good

and so on
As I said; not an expert. And I wouldn't call Vista anywhere above 'decent enough' with or without Service Pack.