Crono1973 said:
Baldr said:
Crono1973 said:
Baldr said:
Rainboq said:
silverbullet1989 said:
FEichinger said:
silverbullet1989 said:
would someone mind explaining to me why windows 8 is going to be so bad? not that im interested in switching over to it, windows 7 is just too good in my opinion. Are microsoft trying to make windows 8 locked down like xbox live?
Metro Launch Screen which effectively splits the whole thing into two seperate interfaces, Accounts tied to Windows Live, Software Store forcing similarly expensive certification as for the XBOX. Oh, and it's totally designed for tablets, while it is a desktop OS.

Of course, Minecraft will work the same way as it used to, as a non-certified desktop application. But it shows a "OHMAHGAWD IT'S NOT CERTIFIED, IT MIGHT BE MALWARE!!!!!" message, unless you switch them off, and Microsoft could choose to just plain refuse to allow installing them whenever they like.

Right now I'm glad I'm running Linux and Gaming support is growing.
Thanks for clearing that up... but im curious as to the certification cost which is similar to that of xbox live, does that mean a developer has to pay royalties to Microsoft in order for them to host their product? and would that entail the god awful patch / update process the consoles have to endure? where by a developer has to pay for a patch to go into the certification process before becoming available to download for the general public?
Certification is around the ballpark of 40,000 USD.
No it is not. Certification does require a Microsoft developer license fee, which Mojang already has(with Xbox 360 version of Minecraft).
...and how much is this license?
$50/Individual & $100/Company(per year) with game revenues on the Microsoft system under $25,000. After $25,000 Microsoft gets in touch with your company and works out finer details, which can get complicated. Microsoft has the option to waive fees under certain conditions, I know this because our fee got waived for the first year(It helped we won the Microsoft Imagine Cup Game Dev Competition)
Sounds like a mess considering devs could just release a game on PC without all that hassle.
The license also allows developers to certify and release games on Win Phone and XBLA. There is no real reason to certify a game for Win8 unless your going to release it on Win8 app store, or you already have the license and want to make sure it works with Win8.

Licensing a game on Win 8 seems to be a conditioning tool for now, get devs used to it because in the future it won't be optional. I am against turning PC's into consoles.

Stavros Dimou

Mar 15, 2011
The Microsoft digital distribution store that will come with Win8 isn't the only bad thing about this OS.

I've watched a preview video on youtube where a guy tries out Win8 on his desktop PC,and he showed that the way you control things in it is like iOS or something. It's basically an OS made with touchscreens in mind,not mice. And thus instead of windows having the usual buttons like -,the rectangular and X,to close,minimize etc,you have to replicate the gestures you would do in a touchscreen with your mouse pointer/arrow instead your finger,which makes it just awkward and confusing. But even though if you watch a tutorial and memorize what gestures do what, what it ultimately does is adding extra steps to the procedures someone could do easier and faster. That's not a good point really.

The other thing I noticed is that Win8 lacks features that would make me want to buy it. I mean I haven't learned of any thing that I can only do with Win8 and not with another Windows version yet. Windows 7 was a worthy upgrade as it supports things past versions don't,like SSD trim, directX 11,etc. Win8 is only trying to sell because of its GUI,which is a hit or miss,and personally I don't like the new GUI. Even if I liked it though,there's plenty of GUI customization options available for Win7,which means you can really make them look quite like you would like,if you use some third party software. Win 8 lacks selling points for me.

The last but not least thing I don't like is that they took already known old apps and functions and placed them elsewhere. So to do in Win8 a function that I know how to do in Win7, I will need to spend time to re-learn how to do it. Which I don't like,it will slow my workflow. Why to have to learn a new way to do things I already know how to do them ?

:/

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Stavros Dimou said:
The Microsoft digital distribution store that will come with Win8 isn't the only bad thing about this OS.

I've watched a preview video on youtube where a guy tries out Win8 on his desktop PC,and he showed that the way you control things in it is like iOS or something. It's basically an OS made with touchscreens in mind,not mice. And thus instead of windows having the usual buttons like -,the rectangular and X,to close,minimize etc,you have to replicate the gestures you would do in a touchscreen with your mouse pointer/arrow instead your finger,which makes it just awkward and confusing. But even though if you watch a tutorial and memorize what gestures do what, what it ultimately does is adding extra steps to the procedures someone could do easier and faster. That's not a good point really.

:/
To close a program you have to grab the top and pull it to the bottom. It's not hard but it's also not as easy as hitting the red X.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Fasckira said:
If anything I cant help but feel Notch has been a bit ungrateful here; MS bent over backwards to ensure Minecraft got onto Live (essentially the same thing Windows 8 will be touting), even giving him all that 0-day sales information and stuff. Here they've gone out their way to say, "Look mate, we're doing this on 8 too, would you like to set up getting it approved?" and hes suddenly too good for Microsoft now? Meh.
Microsoft did that for them self, not for Notch or anyone else.
Minecraft sold like mad and MS knew that would happen. The ensured that the biggest indie title will be exclusive for their console (PC not included). They earn on the sales, on the skin sales, soon on the texture pack sales. They will probably start soon to require Mojang to make DLC's instead of free updates.

So no, Notch should not be grateful. Porting Minecraft to the 360 was pure business and both sides earned money on that. Neither side did they because they wanted to be good.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
Crono1973 said:
Johnson McGee said:
Well, according to the alternating rule of Windows releases (every other Windows version is crap) Windows 8 was going to suck anyway.
Do people ever grow tired of posting this?

It's like this, the alternating rule can be viewed in different ways depending on if you include NT OS's prior to XP. It really is tiring to see someone let something silly like this make up their mind for them.

Maybe Win 8 is a bad OS and guess what, maybe Win 9 will be too. I mean, if you just refuse to give Win 8 a chance because of this alternating BS, doesn't that mean that you will be buying Win 9 on Day 1, no questions asked?

See how ridiculous it is?
Jeez man, I was joking. I'll examine Win 8 on its own merits when it's released.

Personally, I think Windows is in a good niche right now between the openness of Linux and the user friendliness of Mac and they'll get slaughtered if they try to be more like one or the other. I just want to use a computer without having to learn a new programming language or having to let Mommy Apple take my hand so I wont get hurt.

OT: I'm totally on Notch's side here. We're just getting into the swing of independent developers being able to produce really good stuff, not just games but productivity software and other things too, and tying that up in a bunch of red tape or fees is really the wrong way to go.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Johnson McGee said:
Crono1973 said:
Johnson McGee said:
Well, according to the alternating rule of Windows releases (every other Windows version is crap) Windows 8 was going to suck anyway.
Do people ever grow tired of posting this?

It's like this, the alternating rule can be viewed in different ways depending on if you include NT OS's prior to XP. It really is tiring to see someone let something silly like this make up their mind for them.

Maybe Win 8 is a bad OS and guess what, maybe Win 9 will be too. I mean, if you just refuse to give Win 8 a chance because of this alternating BS, doesn't that mean that you will be buying Win 9 on Day 1, no questions asked?

See how ridiculous it is?
Jeez man, I was joking. I'll examine Win 8 on its own merits when it's released.

Personally, I think Windows is in a good niche right now between the openness of Linux and the user friendliness of Mac and they'll get slaughtered if they try to be more like one or the other. I just want to use a computer without having to learn a new programming language or having to let Mommy Apple take my hand so I wont get hurt.

OT: I'm totally on Notch's side here. We're just getting into the swing of independent developers being able to produce really good stuff, not just games but productivity software and other things too, and tying that up in a bunch of red tape or fees is really the wrong way to go.

I wasn't ONLY talking to you but in every topic about Windows 8 someone says this. It has gotten old.

I am on Notch's side here too. Why pay Microsoft or ask for Microsoft permission (a license) to release a game.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Don't they understand? This is the Windows formula. Good OS - Bad OS - Repeat.

Windows 3.1: Good.
Windows 95: Bad.
Windows 98: Good.
Windows ME: BAD.
Windows XP: Very good.
Windows Vista: Sweet jesus...
Windows 7: Good.
Windows 8...

Just sayin.

I have 7 now. Works damn well for me. Not switching.

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
This whole thing about Win8 possibly having an in-built store and needing "certification" to let you run 3rd party software without bothering around a Microsoft malware warning brings up an interesting topic I haven't thought about. Should the government(specifically the US, I'm just gonna stay local here) be regulating computer technology in some way? The internet has become an integral part of many people's lives, and many important businesses would be destroyed if it was suddenly taken away from them. The internet is no longer a place where only technologically advanced geeks can understand what everything does, it's an integral part of most of the developed world.
So, if Microsoft hypothetically decided to only allow officially certified software on, lets say Windows 9, and offered to allow 3rd party software only if the owners of that software payed a fee and went through the screening process, that would seriously cripple many businesses and would cause havoc. Let's just assume that either Microsoft is somehow the only reliable computer company by the time this Windows 9 comes out or all other computer developers have also implemented this change.
Think how the government realized that cars were an incredibly important invention and made lots of rules concerning how they are made and sold to the public. Seeing as how the computer, and it's access to the internet and whatever software the user desires is now so very important to the lives of everyone who uses it, should the government be implementing laws concerning it?

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
I'm having agood time using Win 7, in my mind it's their best OS so far. I used XP before that, skipped Vista because I did not enjoy it at all. I had no plans to buy Win 8 even before people started flailing about how horrible it is, but to be honest I'm not even sure what makes it horrible. I've been lazy, as I often am, and not bothered reading up on it...

I actually thought Win 8 wasn't intended for PCs but rather things such as touch phones and tablets similar to the iPad. Clearly I was very wrong! Serves me right I guess, for not being updated on matters of technology.

tehweave said:

Windows 8...

Just sayin.

Yeah, this stuff! I went from 98 to XP to 7 and I've had a good time! I never even thought about stopping by the ones between actually, 98 lasted fine until Xp and I was even heistating before switching from Xp to 7 because I enjoyed Xp so much! 7 is great though...

Alex Cowan

Feb 13, 2010
I'm using the Windows 8 beta at the moment (dual-booted in Boot Camp on a Macbook Pro). Perhaps I'm not getting the full 'experience', as it's not my main OS (so I have no need to use things like Metro email apps etc.), it just seems like Windows 7 with an unnecessary barrier between you and the desktop. For PC users, that's the exact opposite of the promised 'streamlining'.

That said, quick-launch buttons on the Start screen, combined with fast boot times, make getting to games a fairly efficient process.

wookiee777

Mar 5, 2012
I've never loved Notch (or hated him either), but I'm glad to say that I agree with him here. I am not expecting to like Windows 8, but I'll have to wait for it to be released to pass final judgement on it.

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
They seem to agree that Window 8 provides an unpleasant vista into the future of PC gaming
ohohohoh! i see what you did there. classy ;)

to the OP: lets be honest. windows has always had its ups and down, it always will!
first you get a good operating system, then a bad one, then a good one. this has been happening since bygone ages.

most notable was XP ( good ) vista ( bad ) win7 ( excelent )

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
This OS seems to be a stepping stone into a series of gradual releases that accumulate into a completely closed system.

CAPTCHA: heated debate - No Thankyou.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
tehweave said:

Windows 8...

Just sayin.

You forgot Windows 2000 Professional. That is the OS I fell back on when Vista was released and it was awesome. It was better than XP in my opinion except for gaming.

OT- Ah, Notch. I'd like to introduce you to my good friend the DESKTOP. Which is in Windows 8. Notch, if you really hate windows with a passion and such, just switch to Linux and be done with it. I've used Windows 8 and it's actually pretty okay NOT counting the Metro UI. The only problem you'll have with it is the fact that if they try to make Minecraft a Metro app (no clue why in the first place), and even then, most of us computer users are not going to use the tablet interface as much as MS wants us to. And if you really need your Minecraft fix, I believe there's a way to play it in Linux with Wine or a VM.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Wait, I already heard this story... on this website. This is the same story!

Also, Notch isn't outspoken. He has legions of mindless fans, some on this very website, and is the biggest name in indie-ish games at the moment. He has quiet a bit of power and the ability to influence opinion.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
I think Notch is often way off base with a lot of things he says, but he's right to be afraid of Windows 8. Not so much for what it is, but for what it obviously wants to become down the line. A closed, controlled platform that crushes the little guys and remove user options.

It's a shame that instead of trying to make the PC better at being a PC, they're trying to turn it into a giant iPhone.