Minecraft Endermen: Good Idea?

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
The thought freaks me out. Would it be possible to walk out of range from this creature?

Imagine chopping a tree and one of these standing right behind it. Staring at you.
*slowly draws sword*
*moves back slowly*

What if you block the line of sight with a block? Would it still come at you?
I'm asking these questions but I honestly don't want to know before I see the first one. Just to see how I'll solve it.

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
Quite honestly, I'm disappointed. Notch keeps on dreaming up new features when he really should be working on two things above all else.

1) The physics engine.

A few days ago on my regular server, I built a dock out of soul sand, pistons and redstone wiring. I could barely pilot the boat out of the harbour because it took forever just to get the thing moving from standstill. Piloting the boat was choppy at best, leading to almost complete inaccuracy and inability to turn the thing around and make it back into the dock from which it had come.

Also, collisions with other mobile objects, including players, mine carts, boats, mobs, wolves told to stay, pistons... and increase the slipperiness of ice. It's boring being limited to sliding an inch or so.

2) Bugs. So very many unaddressed bugs. And there will be more with the 1.8 update.

In short: Notch, if you read this, which I seriously doubt, stop creating and start improving what you already have. Once it's absolutely perfect, then and only then can you start work on new things.

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
UberaDpmn said:
lacktheknack said:
You don't sell ~2500000 copies of a $15 game without getting a good budget.
He didn't sell 25 million, and if you meant 250,000 he sold way more than that ;D

Pretty sure he hit the 2 million copies mark a couple of months ago.
~2500000 = ~2,500,000
im pretty sure he wrote two point five million

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
scarfacetehstag said:
bloody brilliant, if you dont want it difficult play on peaceful is notches suggestion. This is gonna rock, better than creepers. ARGH SOMEONE GIVE THIS GUY A REAL BUDGET
The man earned over 50mil already, a bit more and he can fund his own triple A games.

That will be one creepy monster, and just last night I almost shat my pants while mining out some coal then turning around to find two creepers staring me down, just waiting to pounce, damn those silent bastards.

Crystalite

Apr 2, 2010
The concept is of course massivly creepy. Everyone has nightmares of beeing chased, of teleporting enemies, and most of all the "do not look back!" thing.
Scares the shit out of me even thinking about it.

The thing is, that in the game it is most likely to be simply anoying. What does "look straight at" mean? Do you have to look at it for some time or is the effect instant? if it is, and you stand on a tower and scan the landscape, you will have five of them at you at once.
And then what? A monster near you is not scary, because you will just beat the crap out of it. and having to do so because they become unavoidable is just a nuisance.

I like the idea, but not for this game, where mobs are only scary if they can damage your buildings. Who really cares about one more ingame death?

tombman888

Jul 12, 2009
Samurai Silhouette said:
Wasn't this done before? The blog makes it seem like a total innovation.

http://amnesia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Gatherers

In most scenarios if the creature is unaware of Daniel's presence, looking away from the Gatherer will keep the player safe. Avoiding direct eye contact with the creature is essential to survival. Looking at it will cause it to notice Daniel quicker as well as rapidly drain his sanity.
Yeah, but the gatherers will still attack you, even if you don't look at them. Not looking at them just reduces their effectiveness to see you, not render you immune to them.

With these guys, it doesn't matter if they're standing a single block away, they still won't attack you until you put the curser over them.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
If it catches me out in the middle of nowhere that will suck but honestly, if I'm near my Castle, I have so many mob traps around that I won't be too concerned...
I'll just have to build a piston trap on the walk way and have a nice hole to lava open up underneath him while he's running at me.
If he teleports in midair....well then hopefully diamond armor/sword holds up against this guy.
Also, my character skin is Slenderman. It is pretty much my job to be way more horrible than these things.
Still, starting a new game with these will be difficult.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Do we really need something creepier than Creepers? The first time I played Minecraft I knew nothing about it beyond what I saw in the Alpha demo & a friend swearing it was better than Legos & great for ending Artist's Block. I bought the Beta release & to my surprise it turned dark within seconds & there was a hissing noise,then this giant green penis comes out of nowhere & explodes. I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Endermen make Creepers sound like babyfood.

I play Minecraft when I'm BORED with RPGs, so I never leave Peaceful mode, I would love some new passive mobs though, without having to add a mod.

tombman888

Jul 12, 2009
Crystalite said:
The thing is, that in the game it is most likely to be simply anoying. What does "look straight at" mean? Do you have to look at it for some time or is the effect instant?
Look straight at it, means to put your reticule directly over the mob itself

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Samurai Silhouette said:
Wasn't this done before? The blog makes it seem like a total innovation.

http://amnesia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Gatherers

In most scenarios if the creature is unaware of Daniel's presence, looking away from the Gatherer will keep the player safe. Avoiding direct eye contact with the creature is essential to survival. Looking at it will cause it to notice Daniel quicker as well as rapidly drain his sanity.
Reading the Minecraft Wiki has given me the impression that 100% of the game is inspired by other games. I've already accepted 2 things.

1)Originality is a false concept that doesn't exist.
2)It's not about who did it first, but who did it best.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Kapol said:
Honestly... that seems a bit unfair. And the fact it can hold blocks makes me worry it'll be able to just deconstruct your buildings for the hell of it, otherwise holding blocks would seem pointless. I just hope he adds the option to turn off individual mobs with the update. Plus, having this would make having windows in your house or building not worth it due to danger. So basically... bleh.
There's one no one brought up on the Minecraft forum. They mentioned "building evil NPC villages, "reconstructing the landscape," "deconstructing buildings," "chucking blocks as a weapon," & "being dicks & constructing barriers around the players," but no one has thought of Endermen chucking blocks at windows & crawling through them.

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
Lt. Vinciti said:
[..]

Mr.Cow says moo
Looks at Enderman
DEAD COW!

[..]
Moo, says mister cow
and looks at the Enderman.
Next morn, found dead cow

Bam. Enderman haikus.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Do you know what'd make it scarier? If there was a 50/50 chance of, when looking at an Enderman, he will either kill you, or give you a cake.

I wonder what it would drop.

Krinku

Feb 5, 2011
I...I'm scared. I mean there's a way to combat this, right? RIGHT?! I mean for creepers we can...we uh...run and hide...lol WELL OKAY!

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
So... effectively one of these guys, just more blocky and less apelike?

A Librarian from Metro 2033. You have to stare them in the face, or they will attack you. If you turn away, you're gonna get ripped in half. Fighting them is a bad idea, 'cause while they are killable, they are incredibly resilient and can tear you in half in a second. So I guess I'll have some fun figuring out a surefire way to kill the Endermen >:D

Richard Twigg

Feb 23, 2010
Enderman will basically become a much more terrifying version of the Bed Intruder song where he WILL actually snatch your stuff up and want to do bad things to your butt so you better hide yo' kids, hide yo' wife real good...Enderman will be staring at you off in the distance...waiting. >:)

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
I will accept this only if he puts shotguns in!
I think that's a fair trade.
And a nuclear bomb.
Seriously, they're pretty creepy.
Maybe a flamethrower too...