Minecraft Endermen: Good Idea?

saucecode

Jul 30, 2011
I think if Notch's goal is to create a creepy mob (and lets be honest, creepers arent creepy, just explosive) then I dont think he could have done a better job. Yes, this is going to scare the crap out of people when they take their first sighting to the new mob, but it's one of those things you read about in stories, and fits well with the other mobs. Think about it, dead people comming to life as zombies, kinda the same with skeletons. Giant man eating spiders and now the scary shadown in the darkness little kids are scared of in the dark. Yea, its description is scary as heck, but I think it will test peoples ability to keep it together.

Christian Hodgdon

Sep 26, 2010
Averant said:
lacktheknack said:
Delightful. The Slenderman connection is pretty obvious, and combined with the appearance, three meter height, and ability to move blocks (yep!), it's destined to become a creepy mob, maybe knocking the Creeper off its post of "Worst Encounter To Have At Night".

In fact, I guarantee that it will. At least you are FASTER than Creepers.
Hell, you know what would be really creepy? If you saw one, then turned and ran, and it teleports in front of you. Scare the living shit out of you, that would.

Don't give Notch ideas!

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
i read notches post.
he basically says that he wants to make them scare you as much as possible. he made them, then made them worse, then made them scarier. what the fuck notch? he may really be a sociopath...

and you know whats worse? he made them because he was feeling a bit bored working on town code for the update.
he didnt plan them. he just thought 'this is boring... how about i try to scare the ever-loving shit out of the players?'

SodaDew

Sep 28, 2009
As long as he doesn't spawn when difficulty is on peaceful then im ok with him.

Tsunimo

Nov 19, 2009
I'm very happy about Endermen.

Creepers, despite the name, are not creepy as much as they are a pain in the ass. I'm glad Notch realized this and made a new, better mob, that's actually creepy.

penguindogexd

Jun 20, 2011
Christian Hodgdon said:
Averant said:
lacktheknack said:
Delightful. The Slenderman connection is pretty obvious, and combined with the appearance, three meter height, and ability to move blocks (yep!), it's destined to become a creepy mob, maybe knocking the Creeper off its post of "Worst Encounter To Have At Night".

In fact, I guarantee that it will. At least you are FASTER than Creepers.
Hell, you know what would be really creepy? If you saw one, then turned and ran, and it teleports in front of you. Scare the living shit out of you, that would.

Don't give Notch ideas!
'

sorry to say this to you but they only teleport to where your reticle is so that is already going to happen!

give me a minute to put on my brown trousers.

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
Haha... this silly Enderman has one weakness! It's designed to teleport into a location I can see.
I see lava, mr Enderman. I see my moat of lava. I feel much safer now in my castle.
Unless I leave...

Sprinal

Jan 27, 2010
Wel lets just wait and see what Notch does here. In my opinion I see something that will kill me if I turn away at night soo... On SMP I just travel with a friend and he stares at it while I move and then; I stare at it while he moves. Solved!

But as they are likely to be few and only on the surface...I hope... I am going to live in the Aether or the Nether...FOREVER

MrJKapowey

Oct 31, 2010
Why are people so worried about them? If you look at one by accident then beat it shitless.

Apparrently they pick random blocks and move them only a short distance away - The likelyhood that they will pick every block in your wall and make a hole big enough for any mob (including them) to fit through is extraordinarily slim.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Meh.

If I lock eyes with one of them I'll just beat the shit out of it with my diamond sword.

Doesn't seem like much to worry about.

Odysseous2

Jul 19, 2011
Personally, I play on peaceful most of the time. Not that I'm worried about dying, but whenever a creeper explodes, he so happens to take out half of my house with it. I care more about them damaging my buildings than them damaging me.

But the real problem with the creepers is that they're silent and come at you from anywhere within a half-mile radius (exaggeration). If you saw them coming first, they wouldn't be such a nuisance.

And that's why the Endermen concept is so great.

I don't care about how much damage they deal. I don't care that they can move blocks around, as they're only likely to construct some charming little sand mounds to complement your front door. But what's great is, you always know when you're about to become their victim. It would hardly matter if they were a 1-hit KO. You'd still know when they're coming, and you'd still have enough time to plan out a way to deal with it. THAT is fair.

Creepers are not.

CoDzombieDude

Apr 23, 2010
Awesome, awesome addition. Cannot wait for this update :D

But, what happens when they gang up on you?
Say you're staring at one then decide you're going to turn and make a run for it, then another appears in your face when you turn around. :S

EDIT: An awesomely scary idea could be that if you're staring at one then attack it, it then screams at you and it's friends back it up? Just an idea...

Samurai Silhouette

Nov 16, 2009
Wasn't this done before? The blog makes it seem like a total innovation.

http://amnesia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Gatherers

In most scenarios if the creature is unaware of Daniel's presence, looking away from the Gatherer will keep the player safe. Avoiding direct eye contact with the creature is essential to survival. Looking at it will cause it to notice Daniel quicker as well as rapidly drain his sanity.