Minecraft Getting Preferential Treatment From Microsoft

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Slightly off-topic question to the people who bought Minecraft 360; can you play it offline? I've been burned before by content that can't be played offline like TMNT Arcade and, Bring Down the Sky (which keeps me from playing ME1 at all offline)

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Cid SilverWing said:
And we should be happy because...?
80Maxwell08 said:
Where did it say that we should be happy about this?
Yeah, I'm with this guy. Where did you see Mr. Carter say "Rejoice! Minecraft broke records!"?

I think the cynicism part of your brain took over without asking.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Cid SilverWing said:
You should be happy because Notch used the fact that he has a lot more power than other indie developers to benefit the players of Minecraft on the 360. I'm sure Microsoft didn't want to do this, so I think Notch deserves kudos for twisting their arm into agreeing to it.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
I hope they keep doing updates every now and then to try and keep up with the still superior PC version of Minecraft. That would be nice.

halfeclipse

Nov 8, 2008
Witty Name Here said:
Grey Carter said:
Microsoft's refusal to allow free updates to games has been a sticking point for a number of developers - such as Valve, which chose to simply stop supporting Team Fortress 2 on the 360 rather than charge for content updates. Gabe Newell went on label Xbox Live policies "a train wreck."
"Damnit man! If you wont accept this free ice cream without asking to pay for it, I'm not going to give you this ice cream at all!"

^--- That's what I believe most Xbox Live fans think of when they think of Valve refusing to update TF2.

It sucks we have to pay for major updates, however most Devs need to realize we are more than willing to pay for them if we like the game.

Seriously, I still don't see Valve's line of logic. "If you wont let us be generous to you we aren't going to give you what you want... Even if you're willing to pay for it."

the minimum price on the xbox live marketplace is $3 and TF2 has how many updates? People like TF2, but I don't expect they love it enough to pay in excess of $300 over the cost of a now free game.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
It's Microsoft's initial policy that is the reason no one should even support them. They release indie games for the sole purpose of exploiting them for money while simultaneously demanding control of how a company wants to generate content, their release schedule, and pricing. Furthermore, the practices are not only exploitative of developers who use their shitty service, it's also exploitative of customers who use their service. I would imagine that is also why your Windows 7 Mobile platform gets no support.

superbowlbound

Feb 25, 2009
One point not mentioned is that Minecraft was incredibly popular and purchased millions of times before release, so it has a different starting point then almost any other XBLA/indie game.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
How much did Microsoft invested on the Xbox version of Minecraft? And how much did they invested on the Kinect support for Minecraft? How much did they invested in Fez? I think that solves everything, the xbox version of Minecraft probably only exists because Microsoft wanted it to exist and not because Mojang wanted to make the game for it.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
I bet Notch used a speech check at Microsoft it prob only had a 1% chance of sucssus and he nailed it lol

nk
OT: I didnt even relize the 360 version is out to busy with PC version but I think I will give it a try sense it will get its updates

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
This will surely encourage more people to develop for XBLA as lead platform...

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
Sixcess said:
Cid SilverWing said:
You should be happy because Notch used the fact that he has a lot more power than other indie developers to benefit the players of Minecraft on the 360. I'm sure Microsoft didn't want to do this, so I think Notch deserves kudos for twisting their arm into agreeing to it.
So we should be happy the only way to get Microsoft to use good business practices is to just say fuck the smaller guys and let the market be controlled buy the rich ones? Isn't that the exact thing we've been trying to get away from recently?

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Witty Name Here said:
Grey Carter said:
Microsoft's refusal to allow free updates to games has been a sticking point for a number of developers - such as Valve, which chose to simply stop supporting Team Fortress 2 on the 360 rather than charge for content updates. Gabe Newell went on label Xbox Live policies "a train wreck."
"Damnit man! If you wont accept this free ice cream without asking to pay for it, I'm not going to give you this ice cream at all!"

^--- That's what I believe most Xbox Live fans think of when they think of Valve refusing to update TF2.

It sucks we have to pay for major updates, however most Devs need to realize we are more than willing to pay for them if we like the game.

Seriously, I still don't see Valve's line of logic. "If you wont let us be generous to you we aren't going to give you what you want... Even if you're willing to pay for it."
I am not willing to pay for updates. Updates fix broken games, why would you have to pay for that? Even Microsoft doesn't charge for years of updates to Windows.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
Coldster said:
I hope they keep doing updates every now and then to try and keep up with the still superior PC version of Minecraft. That would be nice.
...and so the whole pc vs. console battle is decided.
OT: I don't own an Xbox, but wtf Microsoft. It's really as bad as all the paranoid people claim.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
Shoggoth2588 said:
Slightly off-topic question to the people who bought Minecraft 360; can you play it offline? I've been burned before by content that can't be played offline like TMNT Arcade and, Bring Down the Sky (which keeps me from playing ME1 at all offline)
This sounds more like a DRM issue. Try transferring all of your DRM to your current console. I had that same issue with a few games recently, and this fixed it right up.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
I am sure this free updates deal goes hand in hand with it being exclusive to the 360.