Minecraft Getting Preferential Treatment From Microsoft

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Minecraft for the PS3 NOW!

Yeah, I know it's not gonna happen anytime soon what with Microsoft desperate to snag one good exclusive-- wait, let me add something..."exclusive" title to their library. I mean, take away Halo, GoW and L4D and the 360 is doomed!
For being the company who paid millions of dollars to keep it a 360 exclusive, they're not doing a good job at wowing people.

(Alright, I sounded like a cheap PS3 fanboy. Sorry, people. I'm just pissed at the fact that I can't get it for my console. And I'm not very PC friendly. So yeah.)

Captcha: Hot diggity dog. You know, I feel stupid for typing stuff like that. At least the old captcha allowed up to come up with Lord Inglip memes.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
bjj hero said:
I tried the demo and really don't see what all of the fuss was about? Seems like a passing fad to me, I dont get the hook.
I was on the same boat. Then I played the full version at my friend's house and it's sorta addicting. I see it as Legos with the Sims and zombies.

I guess it depends on the kind of games you're into. For example, I admit CoD is fun but I'm just not attracted to it. *Shrugs*

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Ragsnstitches said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Minecraft on PC: mods, custom worlds, adventure maps and texture packs.

Minecraft on 360: .............
Irrelevant flamebaiting is irrelevant. Though I have Minecraft on the PC, I would have liked a PS3 version, considering the 360 version has both a split-screen option and the ability to invite friends into my world via a friends list.

On topic, from what I've seen so far, Minecraft on the 360 looks like it's built on a version before the adventure update. It would suck for the Xbox players to pay for an incomplete version AND have to fork over more for extra content (read: the rest of the actual game). Kudos to notch for getting Microsofts heard out of their arse, however brief it may be.
Stating my perceived pros for each version is flame baiting? Try again.

Rutskarn

Feb 20, 2010
RvLeshrac said:
Rutskarn said:
RvLeshrac said:
octafish said:
Minecraft without sporadic and occasionally game breaking updates isn't Minecraft. There would be no other way of getting a "true" Minecraft experience.
OK. That has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the content of the article regarding Microsoft's XBLA policies.
Well, it is, because Microsoft's XBLA policies would normally make the updates he's referring to impossible. It's actually directly addressing the article.
The point of the article is that Minecraft is being allowed to bypass all of the limitations Microsoft places on every other Live title. Saying that Minecraft "needs" that bypass is not relevant, because there have been other titles which would have "needed" that bypass, such as TF2.
The thesis of the article, such as it is, does not command all possible discussion on that topic. His comment is relevant. It is not a comprehensive response to the article, but it is appropriate for the purposes of engendering free discussion after the fact.

devilofthemist

Feb 13, 2012
Hammeroj said:
I'm just annoyed that the Xbox version of Minecraft is even a real thing. After making dozens of millions, Notch's top priority is getting the game on as many platforms as possible instead of finally starting to develop content at a not-snail-like pace.

P.S. Minecraft on the Xbox360 sucks.
well severel things, maybe he wants to get it to as many people as possible

and no it doesn't suck, it is essential the exact same game with simplified crafting

ablac

Aug 4, 2009
Crono1973 said:
ablac said:
Crono1973 said:
Witty Name Here said:
Grey Carter said:
Microsoft's refusal to allow free updates to games has been a sticking point for a number of developers - such as Valve, which chose to simply stop supporting Team Fortress 2 on the 360 rather than charge for content updates. Gabe Newell went on label Xbox Live policies "a train wreck."
"Damnit man! If you wont accept this free ice cream without asking to pay for it, I'm not going to give you this ice cream at all!"

^--- That's what I believe most Xbox Live fans think of when they think of Valve refusing to update TF2.

It sucks we have to pay for major updates, however most Devs need to realize we are more than willing to pay for them if we like the game.

Seriously, I still don't see Valve's line of logic. "If you wont let us be generous to you we aren't going to give you what you want... Even if you're willing to pay for it."
I am not willing to pay for updates. Updates fix broken games, why would you have to pay for that? Even Microsoft doesn't charge for years of updates to Windows.
The updates on windows are part of the package, I assumed so since they need to make it compatible with most programs and that would need constant tinkering.
The updates for games are also part of the package. What's the difference?
Windows is an operating system, it must update as it has to be able to handle new things otherwise it would become obsolete very quickly. You buy a game and your done, unless they add new things through update sor DLC. An operating system such as windows has to evolve by necessity, most games dont need to have all their bugs fixed do they? Very few games have game breaking glitches and those tend to get fixed. Updates dont just fix broken games, they update them, to say they just fix faults is simplistic.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Grey Carter said:
SayHelloToMrBullet said:
Wait a second, console users have to pay for updates!? Am I interpreting this wrong or is this for real? (I'm a PC guy so I wouldn't know)
For content updates, not patches.
Yes, sadly XBLA remains the most used platform despite being the worst invention still in production.

On the other hand, not telling the sales numbers to the developer should be considered criminal offence, as they are basically hiding vital information.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
ablac said:
Crono1973 said:
ablac said:
Crono1973 said:
Witty Name Here said:
Grey Carter said:
Microsoft's refusal to allow free updates to games has been a sticking point for a number of developers - such as Valve, which chose to simply stop supporting Team Fortress 2 on the 360 rather than charge for content updates. Gabe Newell went on label Xbox Live policies "a train wreck."
"Damnit man! If you wont accept this free ice cream without asking to pay for it, I'm not going to give you this ice cream at all!"

^--- That's what I believe most Xbox Live fans think of when they think of Valve refusing to update TF2.

It sucks we have to pay for major updates, however most Devs need to realize we are more than willing to pay for them if we like the game.

Seriously, I still don't see Valve's line of logic. "If you wont let us be generous to you we aren't going to give you what you want... Even if you're willing to pay for it."
I am not willing to pay for updates. Updates fix broken games, why would you have to pay for that? Even Microsoft doesn't charge for years of updates to Windows.
The updates on windows are part of the package, I assumed so since they need to make it compatible with most programs and that would need constant tinkering.
The updates for games are also part of the package. What's the difference?
Windows is an operating system, it must update as it has to be able to handle new things otherwise it would become obsolete very quickly. You buy a game and your done, unless they add new things through update sor DLC. An operating system such as windows has to evolve by necessity, most games dont need to have all their bugs fixed do they? Very few games have game breaking glitches and those tend to get fixed. Updates dont just fix broken games, they update them, to say they just fix faults is simplistic.
Most Windows Updates are bug fixes.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Ragsnstitches said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:

Irrelevant flamebaiting is irrelevant. Though I have Minecraft on the PC, I would have liked a PS3 version, considering the 360 version has both a split-screen option and the ability to invite friends into my world via a friends list.

On topic, from what I've seen so far, Minecraft on the 360 looks like it's built on a version before the adventure update. It would suck for the Xbox players to pay for an incomplete version AND have to fork over more for extra content (read: the rest of the actual game). Kudos to notch for getting Microsofts heard out of their arse, however brief it may be.
Won't drag this on, but the "PC= MOAR, Xbox= Shit"(paraphrased) post is a bit of a no brainer in regards to how people will react (particularly people who have Xboxes and actually, if you can believe this, Like Minecraft on it). Whether you meant it or not, you flamebaited.

FYI, PC and PS3 are my primary platforms. So no fanboy nonsense here.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Ragsnstitches said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Ragsnstitches said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:

Won't drag this on, but the "PC= MOAR, Xbox= Shit"(paraphrased) post is a bit of a no brainer in regards to how people will react (particularly people who have Xboxes and actually, if you can believe this, Like Minecraft on it). Whether you meant it or not, you flamebaited.

Yeah, again, no... Not so much. First of all, my opinion isn't irrelevant, and secondly, flamebait has to be intentional (the definition implies intent to cause anger and flaming).

EDIT: Also, don't misrepresent me in paraphrasing ever again.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Ragsnstitches said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Ragsnstitches said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:

Yeah, again, no... Not so much. First of all, my opinion isn't irrelevant, and secondly, flamebait has to be intentional (the definition implies intent to cause anger and flaming).

Okay, fair enough, I said I wouldn't drag this on. Apologies for misrepresenting you.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Ragsnstitches said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Ragsnstitches said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Ragsnstitches said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:

Okay, fair enough, I said I wouldn't drag this on. Apologies for misrepresenting you.
Hey, no porblemo. Not like I went out of my way to make it less flame inspiring to our crazed fanboy demographic, lol. Lesson here is: even if you aren't trying to piss people off, odds are on the internet you will piss someone off. So word your comments a tad more precisely.

Hug it out? Let's hug it out. *hug* :D

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
"How did you get those stats from MS?" asked Polytron. "We still don't know exactly how much Fez sold almost a month later. You get stats in 24 hours?
Uh, did I miss something? Minecraft broke a record, they told Mojang. Fez likely didn't, they didn't tell Polytron. I'm not saying there's not bias, but that particular hook doesn't look strong enough to hang something on.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Ragsnstitches said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Ragsnstitches said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Ragsnstitches said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:

Hey, no porblemo. Not like I went out of my way to make it less flame inspiring to our crazed fanboy demographic, lol. Lesson here is: even if you aren't trying to piss people off, odds are on the internet you will piss someone off. So word your comments a tad more precisely.

Hug it out? Let's hug it out. *hug* :D
"Lesson here is: even if you aren't trying to piss people off, odds are on the internet you will piss someone off. So word your comments a tad more precisely."

Amen to that. *hug*

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Calcium said:
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
Well, it's more than just that. The update policy and things surrounding that were part of the problem, but after the first major update or two to the game was out, it was starting to get kind of impractical to get the game to run within the amount of RAM the 360 has, considering just the base game was ported with that limit in mind. At this point it's probably gone beyond impractical to more like not realistically possible without having to degrade the quality of the game. It's not just that they aren't willing to let you pay them for it even though you want to, it's that they also don't want to have to compromise on the quality of their game. Their more recent ones have avoided that problem by being designed with console releases in mind from the beginning.
I really doubt that's a problem. Just look at other games requirements.

Team Fortress 2 asks for 512MB RAM on the PC.
Mass Effect 2 asks for 1GB.
Battlefield Bad Company 2 asks for 2GB.
Battlefield 3 (must be at least 2GB).

All of these games run on the 360 which has only 512MB.
Comparing requirements of PC titles to their console ports is foolish to say the least.

Yukinari

Aug 22, 2009
There is zero point to buying Minecraft on Xbox right this instant, at full price, with less content. And honestly, Minecraft on its own is extremely boring since with the base game, the only strong point it has is building. If you want to actually fight monsters and get cool loot, you play Terraria or Starbound, but if you want to build and explore a near endless world with mods, you play PC Minecraft. The world size limit and version of Minecraft on Xbox is what makes it not appealing. Its like buying SFxT on Xbox at full price, less content and insulting.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Isn't this pretty much the same thing in every industry though? The more money you rake in... the more the perks the suits will give you to prevent you from going to the other side. Or the more perks the other side will offer you to sweeten the deal. It's not Persson's fault that he became hugely rich and successful overnight; this is just the life he has now.