Minecraft Graphics.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
You know, I'm surprised no one has ever done one of those ultra-detailed, incredibly terrifying, realistic renders of Minecraft.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
You´re so wrong! graphic isn't worth shit! Aesthetics my friends, IS what makes a game look good, graphics is just a silly tool for aesthetics to use to make it look awesome.

As for minecraft with realistic graphics I don't think it makes for good aesthetics, so no!

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
But minecraft is about blocks.

What do you want? Blocks with higher resolution textures? Wouldn't change much. They're still blocks.

Hummmy

Jun 30, 2011
Stall said:
You know, I'm surprised no one has ever done one of those ultra-terrifying, high detail, realistic renders of Minecraft.
I did find this animation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRrwFzEDinA

DarkRyter said:
But minecraft is about blocks.

What do you want? Blocks with higher resolution textures? Wouldn't change much. They're still blocks.
Read first. Then reply.

I'm not talking about Minecraft looking real here. Minecraft was just my example of gameplay.
I'm sure Notch would of made the game ultra realistic if he could of, but as its been said, the cubes fit into how the game works and is made.

Think about in 10 years, do you think we'll still be playing Minecraft as it is today? No way.
We'll definitely be playing a more realistic looking type of thing.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Minecraft is laggy enough as it is, I do not want it to get worse.

Besides, graphics add almost nothing to a game, and worse, they make adding new features much more difficult. It's much easier to add new things to a game when you don't have to spend all your time making new 3d models and textures, that's why roguelikes almost invariably have more depth than any triple A game out there, despite usually being made by a single person.

Cridhe

May 24, 2011
I've never even played Minecraft and I can tell you a great deal of what makes it appealing, unique and gives the game it's charm are those very graphics. I love games with a more retro feel to them myself so maybe that's why I can understand without having played. I love how it presents itself as a 2D game in a 3D world.

The reason I have no interest in playing Minecraft is to me it seems like a lot of gameplay and mining mostly to make 2D (mostly) pixel art for things that already exist, and things we've all already seen.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Well, no. It would not work, not from graphic/aesthetic reasons, but from Gameplay reasons. Minecraft as a game revolves mostly around breaking blocks and placing them back to form amazing creations.
As for making it look realistic, try the Photo Realism 256 Texture pack with GLSL shaders (When they update)(GLSL Shader effects I have enabled are bump mapping, wheat/leaf/water/mushroom/tallgrass/flower sway/wave, God Rays [Sunbeams], AA, the shading itself [of course], world curvature and probably some others I don't know about). If the Shaders were updated for 1.8, I'd show you a pic. Unfortunately, they are not just yet, so we'll have to wait...

CScuff

Jan 14, 2011
AndyFromMonday said:
I don't see Minecraft being doable without blocky graphics. Those blocks aren't there just because Mojang didn't feel like implementing realistic graphics. They're a core part of the gameplay and essentially what allows you to build whatever you feel like building.

I'm pretty sure you just word-for-word plagiarized my thoughts. Guess it doesn't need to be said again :p

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Why does people always assume 'realistic' is 'better'.
TF2 wouldn't be better with realistic graphics, and Minecraft sure as fuck wouldn't either.

Fat4all

Aug 6, 2011
I don't see why Minecraft's graphics have to strive for realism when I'd rather it find it's own aesthetics that work within the game.

Sep 8, 2010
No. Minecraft wouldn't be better with realistic graphics.

Part of the issue is that you seem to not like the aesthetic of Minecraft, which is the block style. It's not just a graphical issue, it's a style issue, and it wouldn't be Minecraft without it.

Also, I can run Hard Reset on very high settings with no lag or choppiness, but Minecraft still chugs, probably because of the vastness of its world. I shudder to think what it would do to the framerate if it were full of lots of hi-polygon objects.

Duruznik

Aug 16, 2009
Hummmy said:
Read first. Then reply.

I'm not talking about Minecraft looking real here. Minecraft was just my example of gameplay.
I'm sure Notch would of made the game ultra realistic if he could of, but as its been said, the cubes fit into how the game works and is made.

Think about in 10 years, do you think we'll still be playing Minecraft as it is today? No way.
We'll definitely be playing a more realistic looking type of thing.
...Why? Not all of us like ultra-realism. I like my minecraft cartoony and lego-like. Plenty of others aren't big fans of ultra-realism in games. Especially silly ones like this one.

Sep 8, 2010
E-Penguin said:
I think that the 16x16, or 32x32 compliments minecraft's blocky look. I've seen some of the "ultrarealistic" mods and they look strange, as they don't really fit in with minecrafts blocky design.
Try the "PureBDCraft" 128x128. It's got a nice cartoony style that actually works very well with the block aesthetic.

Thedayrecker

Jun 23, 2010
Minecraft just can't work with realistic graphics.

Seriously, how can you represent a block of wood realistically?

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Ha, realism, I got enough of that at home.
That's why I use the Simple Texture pack!

Abengoshis

Aug 12, 2009
And how, pray tell, would you actually build stuff? Would it still be blocks? If not, you might as well just have a model editor.

Minecraft's blocky style isn't JUST an aesthetic, its the gameplay too. The gameplay is centered around mining BLOCKS because that way its easier to build good looking things, rather than having to be a master artist/modeller to make good looking things.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
If Minecraft had amazing graphics it would lag the fuck out of most computers because of how vast the world is, you realise that the Minecraft worlds are absolutely massive right? Just look at that group that have recreated Middle Earth in Minecraft, it takes them 12 hours to cross the whole thing. Also as others have said without the blocks it just wouldn't be Minecraft, because it's not just graphics, it's part of the gameplay too.

So yeah, Minecraft doesn't need realistic graphics. In short, don't fix what isn't broken.