Minecraft Graphics.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
Yes, graphically Minecraft is very simple.

AESTHETICALLY it works well and looks nice, especially with a good texture pack or a few mods.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
Justanewguy said:
No_Remainders said:
Hummmy said:
No_Remainders said:
So, essentially, what you seem to be implying is having a fully realistic version of Minecraft, without the blocks?

That idea is just pure silly.

This is one reason I hate asking questions which require some thinking to a large audience;
Cause I get people like you.
Your question essentially boiled down to "would minecraft work without blocks?"

Or else, you actually think that you could have realistic graphics with blocks, which wouldn't really make sense, because it'd still be blocks, and would therefore be ridiculous.

It has to look like blocks, otherwise you won't really know where one ends and the next begins. I suppose you could just have a nice fun game of "guess where the next part goes"?
Minecraft without blocks? It'd be like...real life or something.

No, but seriously, if we can do it in the real world, I'm positive that it wouldn't be a game of "guess where the next part goes." Most people in MineCraft tend to do one of two things, they either go in with a distinct plan and make something fabulously intricate, or they wing it and end up with something equally intricate but less structured. If we took away the blocks we'd still have to be able to create things, so we'd have to substitute in building materials of some sort, bricks, wooden planks, ect. Unfortunately I think those winging it would have far less ability to create than those who go in with a plan.

MineCraft without blocks is doable, I just think it would be less fun. A majority of the charm of that game is from being able to, as many people have said, play a modern version of legos. While building a house from scratch using bricks and wood planks would be rewarding, I have to feel like it'd be tedious too.

So...in summary. MineCraft without blocks is probably doable, but not as fun.
So, say you're digging... How are you proposing dirt is measured? Grains? How big is a grain? How many grains form a mound? What if I want to build a castle of dirt? How much dirt will I need? Will dirt stack in your inventory? Will you HAVE an inventory? Will using a shovel create a different gap in the ground than using your hands, or using an axe, or a pickaxe, or a door to dig with?

What about cutting down trees? Do the branches count as sticks, or planks? How do you know when something is a twig or a stick? How do 10 branches MAGICALLY turn into a plank?

Oh, I want to go mine some stone! If I break a stone will I pick all of it up, or just some of it? Will there be small chips coming off as I hit it with my pickaxe? Can I still use my hands to break stone? If I can't, does this mean I can't use my hands to break trees to make tools? But if I can't do that, how will I make tools in the first place?

See, Minecraft without blocks has one major problem. It's not plausible. You couldn't make a game in the style of Minecraft using life-like structures, it wouldn't work properly.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
If you want to see Minecraft with 'better' graphics then just look at FortressCraft since they are pretty much the same graphics-wise just with one being pixel-punk and the other being 'realistic'. I actually prefer the 'blocky' nature of Minecraft because it is stylised like TF2, If you see a screenshot of an enemy/npc/item then you know it is Micecraft because that is the style Notch used. Take a 'realistic' game like a shooter and they all look pretty much the same, not just because of the extensive use of brown and grey but by aiming at realism you end up joining a big group of developers who wanted the same art style, so it all looks homogenous.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
You can't have a game like minecraft without blocks. The blocks are why the game works. That game can have good graphics because all you do is click on a looped image.

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
Minecraft without blocks eh?
It exists, its called Lords of Uberdark. Its made by aron bishop, the same guy who did soul fu

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
The graphics are not bad, they are totally intentional. Notch WANTED to graphics to look like that!

And, if you don't like the graphics, why don't you just download a HD texture pack? You can get higher texture resolution than most games on the market then.

Zinaxos

Feb 9, 2009
Dude, with the release of 1.8, Minecraft looks better than most games I play. It's amazing.

Lerasai

Aug 14, 2010
When it comes to graphics, I care less about realism and more about attractiveness. Minecraft might not be the most realistic, but it looks good. I think if it had "better" graphics it wouldn't be nearly as fun and not as many people would be able to make mods for it. The way it looks now allows it to be more accessible and makes it stand out from other games.

shootandshiver

Aug 3, 2011
i want the pixels you can beat a man with, i just want smooth mapping. hell, bigger pixels, just true volume measure, and junk, like red faction 1 nearly was

Pseudoboss

Apr 17, 2011
No, Minecraft's blocks are essential to the game. Many computers would be too slow for decent graphics, probably even good computers would have a problem, due to the fact that most games aren't designed to be mined into. Also, with more accuracy of where to place things, the construction would be slowed dramatically, making even small buildings a pain to make, and large ones impossible.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
It seems nobody has heard of this little game:

Is that the kind of thing you're talking about? Because it's already being done and it doesn't look all that bad to me.

Well someone already beat me to it.

Before people go on about how this is a "Mincraft clone", although that is technically true, it's also worth noting that thanks to Notch this game got $20,000 funding from kick-starter simply from Notch's recommendations for this game.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
That you would post this topic shows you completely miss the point and the appeal of Minecraft.

Duatha

Aug 9, 2011
i agree with you, having said that, i also have about 3 dozen people i have shown the game who would have loved it if it had better graphics.

Squidden

Nov 7, 2010
the antithesis said:
That you would post this topic shows you completely miss the point and the appeal of Minecraft.
I disagree. He might not mean removing the block aesthetic and gameplay, but just enhancing details, lighting, particles and other shit. You could still build and create and mine, but with better graphics.

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
The block look is meant to be there. It's not poor graphics or lazy designs, it is supposed to have that 16x16 block look about it. It is kind of what gives it character.