Minecraft is better than any game/series ever?

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
I don't like Minecraft....but...I literally have no artistic creativity, so that might have something to do with it.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
WorldCritic said:
Minecraft will probably blow over eventually. Yes I have played it, do I think it's the best game ever? No way in hell. I'm supporting Bioware, no matter what people keep telling me about what they think about Dragon Age 2.
It seems a lot of people who never played DA2 just hate it. I don't know why.

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
Wow, I sort of hate these forums now. You guys clearly have no interest in gaming.

In fact, I'm just going to say it. The only reason Minecraft is popular enough to beat out the amazing experiences that all the other devs have put out this year is because it's popular with the sort of hipster that doesn't care about games, but goes on gaming forums anyway. The game does nothing new or surprising, and includes no features that haven't been seen in games before. It's a fun sandbox, but that should not be enough to win it so much adulation and praise over everything else out there.

BoredDragon

Feb 9, 2011
No, its a fun game if you have a project and work toward it. However, its no where near one of my top favorites. Those pretty much consist of most of Valves games and Bioshock. Its really just a creativity tool, which has been done before.

Valve should have won based on their track record since they have proven that they can consistently make good games. Mojang have only created Minecraft so there is no evidence to show that this is just a fluke. I will stand by these words:

"Quality can be achieved, but consistency is something to strive for."

That's also why I hate that Square Enix beat out Naughty Dog. Square has made some good games in the past (I can't vouch for them since I haven't played), but factoring in their recent work into the mix shows that they haven't been consistent.

One last thing, I've noticed Minecraft fans have been getting really pissy at me for not liking the "GREETIST GAME EVAAAAR!!!!1" because I thought Mojang (not minecraft) should not have beat Valve and despite me mention that I like the game. I really hope its advocates don't turn into the Final Fantasy fan-base. Dear GOD, I can not handle another group of people like that.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Trolldor said:
oppp7 said:
dyre said:
oppp7 said:
Oh for the love of hell...

VOTE DEPENDING ON THE GAMES THE COMPANY HAS RELEASED THE MOST/YOUR FAVORITE STUFF SINCE LAST MM. OTHERWISE THE SAME 3 COMPANIES WOULD WIN EVERY YEAR.

Jesus...
is that actually the rule? I figured it was just "vote on your favorite developer with whatever criteria you want."

or else valve shouldn't even have made it this far...
I don't think it's required, but like I said, it makes more sense than voting for the same guys every year.
It's not the rule.
It would make more sense if it applied. Clearly it doesn't. Minecraft isn't being voted on its merits - if it was it would be laughed out of town for being a game incomplete nearly two years after its release.
TBH I have yet to see anything in the game that makes it seem like it's a beta. It seems like a finished game, and I'm not sure what the full version will add that will make people like it more than they already do.

Hell, it even has its own demo version.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
number2301 said:
I'm not saying Mojang should win, I voted for Valve in the last round and Bioware in this (but I did support Mojang up until then). However if you were to account for the sheer impact they have had on the industry I think you could make an argument that they are deserving of the award.

At risk of sounding like an American referring to September 11th, everything is different now. They have had that much impact on the industry.

As an aside, Minecraft beating Nintendo I'm well on board with. When was the last time Nintendo did something which wasn't derivative crap? Wii and DS I guess, but in terms of game development I haven't seen them as top tier for a long time, everyone else moved on and they didn't.
This is what I don't get. How the hell can you say that MineCraft has had any impact on the industry at all?

Name one game that has been influenced by it. Just one.
FortressCraft.

OT: X is better than Y is all opinion. To say that any game the OP listed is better or worse than Minecraft is going to be correct or wrong depending on who you talk to.

Who exactly is qualified to say who deserves what? Why does the hard work Mojang did not count while the hard work Bioware, etc., did does count?

Also, it's a popularity contest, and Minecraft is one of the most popular games around right now.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
omegawyrm said:
Wow, I sort of hate these forums now. You guys clearly have no interest in gaming.

In fact, I'm just going to say it. The only reason Minecraft is popular enough to beat out the amazing experiences that all the other devs have put out this year is because it's popular with the sort of hipster that doesn't care about games, but goes on gaming forums anyway. The game does nothing new or surprising, and includes no features that haven't been seen in games before. It's a fun sandbox, but that should not be enough to win it so much adulation and praise over everything else out there.
Maybe some people just have a different opinion?

I don't know, I don't even play Minecraft, but I won't say that the only people who like it are "hipsters that doesn't care about games".

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Minecraft, in my opinion, is crap.
Sorry mates, my time is too valuable to be spent on this.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Eri said:
Apparently that's what most people here seem to think if the voting is any indication.

Minecraft is better than Mario, Pokemon, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Half Life, Portal, Left 4 Dead, Fallout 3/NV, Resident Evil, Team Fortress, Elder Scrolls, Borderlands, The witcher, and oh god I could just go on and on.

Sure you could almost apply this to any dev that's winning or won March Mayhem, but the point here is that they had games. Not some game that is in beta and not even officially released. At least in the end Zynga didn't win last time, here though, it looks like Mojang going to. Can anyone really sit here and tell me it deserves to win more than ANY other developer?
Just more proof that March Mayhem is a glorified popularity contest. It doesn't make sense. You just have to roll with it. March Mayhem will be over soon and we can put this behind us.

Haydyn

Mar 27, 2009
The very idea that 2 people can invest 2 weeks and $200 into a game and have it sell millions of copies to iPhone owning pricks is proof that humanity is flawed. Minecraft is nothing more than an empty box that you can fill with tiny colored boxes. I don't understand how people can honestly sit at computers for hours playing Minecraft. I hate March Madness, and I am glad to see such a shitty developer knock everybody off, but I do not care for Minecraft. I'd rather play Sims 2, Age of Empires, Dragon Age, Smackdown vs Raw, Pokemon, Saint's Row 2, Fable, Mario Kart, Tekken, Castle Crashers, all those games I can play for hours on end having fun, but I cannot have fun stacking a blue box on top of a red box for hours on end. This isn't daycare, I'm not going to sit around stacking blocks. At least with legos you created a physical object.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Nope. Most the voters are from people that saw Notches Tweets and shit.

I think that NecroVision was one of the best games ever, The Farm 51 wasn't up for best Developer. Hell, People Can Fly wasn't either. Or Tripwire Interactive, or id Software... wait... I just realized id wasn't on there AT ALL!? What the fuck?

graverobber2

Aug 19, 2009
I've had more fun with minecraft than any of the games you named (even though some are pretty close)

I vote for developers based on the games they brought out since the last march mayhem.
Also, comparing the curriculum of a company that isn't even 2 years old to companies that are over 20 years old. Who says Mojang can't be the next Valve, Bioware, [Insert dev of your choise],... (I'm not saying they will be, I'm saying they might be).

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
tautologico said:
omegawyrm said:

Maybe some people just have a different opinion?

I don't know, I don't even play Minecraft, but I won't say that the only people who like it are "hipsters that doesn't care about games".
This isn't about a different opinion. It's a fact that the game doesn't do anything that hasn't been done before. Many games were doing this same thing more than a decade ago. And I didn't say that ONLY hipsters like the game, I like the game. But that's the only explanation for it being rated higher than all the other devs in the contest. Those aren't small names that Minecraft has beaten. The only way that someone could not have even a slight vested interest in those other developers would be if they just didn't care about games or gaming.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Gralian said:
March Mayhem is more of an innovation award than anything else. People are fickle and always cry foul when something is labeled as generic - oh look a military FPS, Call of Duty clone. Chest high walls? Gears of War clone. Third person combat? God of War clone. Platformer? Mario clone. Everything is a clone of something else.

But not Minecraft. It's a clone of nothing (and don't say Infiniminer, it was never completed and abandoned. Minecraft isn't complete, but it's not going to be abandoned is it?) and the way it succeeded purely through word of mouth is nothing short of phenomenal when you look at all the money put into heavy ad campaigns that feel cheap and fall flat on their face. Looking at you, EA. It's not hard to see why people love Mojang.
Afaik Notch said it was inspired by Dwarf Fortress. He is planning to make a level importer for DF if Toady lets him. Those games are heavily linked.
I would say Minecraft is just a clone of Lego. A vastly inferior clone.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
No, its not. Opinions are something that belong to everyone. Apparently some people, think so and they're entitled to their opinion. personally, I feel that Minecraft isn't all that fun and is just an unreleased poor excuse. Some people will probably quote me and say their own opinion, but I still firmly believe that Minecraft is shit.

I don't believe Mojang is better then any of the devs they beat. Rather, they're the only company who cares at the moment. Look at Steam right now, Steam alone has 3 times of Minecraft's total sales and its under Valve's complete control.The majority of their fans on on steam, but that's not even counting console fans from Valve. The same can be said for Nintendo and Bioware. Both of them are much more successful and popular then Mojang, but they really couldn't care less at the moment.

TheJulz

Dec 7, 2008
I think the problem is that you said that Minecraft is better than Mass Effect. It's not.