Minecraft Menu Drops the N-Bomb

Feb 13, 2008
Tanis said:
Not sure how this is offensive, in Africa.

Wasn't 'the n-word' used primarily black slaves in America?
Pat8u said:
ok I might come off as a bit stupid but isn't n***er an offensive term towards african americans not people who are from africa
I think it's safe to say that the N word is offensive to any race; as there are versions of it for most non-white races.

It was originally used against Africans well before there even were African-Americans. As I 'believe' it was originally used to mean "Black slave" - negro/niege from the Southern European words for black. (England would have used a different insult which you can pick up from any of the Zulu films)

But if you're looking for a generic non-WASP insult, it's the one of choice. There are variations towards the Arabians, Asians, Jewish, Irish and Polish as well, I believe?

For WASPs, I think the C word is usual (At least in Britain) - fine to use about your friends in private, but offensive in public.

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
Garethp said:
Garethp said:
I'd like to point out that there's a candy in South Africa called N***** Balls. No point to this piece of information, just thought I'd point it out
Only racist idiots call them that.
Saw them in the shops. It's their actual name. Like, the name printed on the box. I, being and raised in Australia, seeing them in a South African shop, just went "What. The. Fuck". I always thought my mother was just making racist jokes till I saw it with my own eyes[/quote]

Its Nikker Balls. There's no racism involved. Our government accuses enough non-members of their own party as racist.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I think it's safe to say that the N word is offensive to any race; as there are versions of it for most non-white races.
If we're talking slurs based on skin color then whites are certainly not exempt. No group is exempt from bigotry.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
It was already dealt with when the forum topic was opened. Said opening-poster send news out to Kotaku as well, despite it being already fixed.

Sigh.

And it's not a joke - The translation was outsourced to community members, and one of them was trolling and added in a wrong one.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
Renegade-pizza said:
Its Nikker Balls. There's no racism involved. Our government accuses enough non-members of their own party as racist.
You know it's weird. I grew up is the RSA during the Bad Old Days, and I spent as much time in the corner shop and sweet shops as any kid, and while I remember people (kids and adults) referring to certain sweets as N***** Balls, I do not remember any boxes or jars labled "Nikker Balls" in the shops (but I preferred Beechies). Maybe it's a regional thing

And BTW if you REALLY think that "Nikker Balls" is not a reference to the N word, I admire your innocence

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
Krion_Vark said:
Grey Carter said:
including a few humorous, made-up ones, like 'Pirate,' 'Canadian English' and 'French.'
I have to say I laughed hard when I read this part.
Yea, that made me do a double take... then I lol'd

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Cid SilverWing said:
Newfag is newfag. Let's hope this doesn't cripple Minecraft's sales.
It won't.

Off Topic: N-Bomb makes me think of Perfect Dark.

Formica Archonis said:
If we're talking slurs based on skin color then whites are certainly not exempt. No group is exempt from bigotry.
The weird part about being white is when you bring up someone is being bigoted towards you people tend to react like they would to a concerned 4 year old.

"Aw, sure. Yes I know there is a monster under your bed." *turns to friend, shrugs, and smiles*

Or perhaps a puppy, just a proverbial pat on the head and then meanders along to "real" bigotry.

Feb 13, 2008
Formica Archonis said:
Not really what I said; it's just that that slur isn't used towards them much. There's more 'chromatically attuned' slurs used for Caucasians.

Cyrus Hanley

Oct 13, 2010
C F said:
Mojang, I am disappoint. Again, because the joke isn't even close to being well thought out. I know game devs can be a lot more subtle than that.
C F, I am disappointed that you would think that Mojang would do this.

The fact that you associate one dumbass volunteer translator who abused his position to put a racial epithet on the main menu with the developers who actually produced Minecraft really says a lot about you.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
The troll could have made a fat joke but Valve stole all of them for portal 2's singeplayer.

I'd much rather have weak racial epithets than fat jokes any day!

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
You know that when we laugh at this shit it only encourages more of it in more areas and more constantly, right?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, maybe this is a little more clever than we're giving it credit for.

Honestly, consider that if any other word other than that paticular one was used would it have gotten so much attention and discussion from the first world? Especially given all the contreversy about how the word is used and how the group that it refers to use it themselves.

It occurs to me that if someone made say a "black experience" game that was somehow guaranteed to only find it's way into the hands of blacks, and that login was used the user might look at that way that is written and think "damn right" as they log right in. After all if one black person greets another with that bit of slang it's viewed differantly.

What's more the "N-word" apparently isn't quite the slur it is elsewhere. I'd have to ask a speaker of Africaans if the term carries the same meaning with it in that part of the world that it does in the US.

I might be overthinking things, but perhaps an unsubtle and seemingly moronic display actually winds up masking some deeper thought and a deeper point? If so that might make it high art. At the very least you have to admit it got attention like few other things would have.

Any way it goes, it's been dealt with, and is apparently just a footnote at this point. Honeslty I'm surprised it was given as much attention as it's received.

zefiris

Dec 3, 2011
The weird part about being white is when you bring up someone is being bigoted towards you people tend to react like they would to a concerned 4 year old.
That's not weird, that's being logical. Complaining about racism against whites is in most countries, not in all akin to being the boss of a company and complaining your wages are so much worse than that of your underlings, fully knowing you're lying.

I'm white, by the way. And it's a fact.

Hmmm, maybe this is a little more clever than we're giving it credit for.
It's not really clever.

Unless you think some generic kid scribbling insults on a random wall is clever, in which case I'd wonder what you consider clever in the first place, and if your standards make any sense whatsoever.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
Grey Carter said:
It makes the low-brow gremlins who scrawl mustaches and crudely-drawn genitals on billboards
I'll have you know that drawing mustaches on things is HILARIOUS.
I find your eliteism disturbing.

Sodoff

Oct 15, 2009
Its a bit funny.. in a "coffee splurt oh no he did'nt" kinda way. But also lame..

still.. opening minecraft : "YOU ARE A N*GGER!" would have made me laugh, then again I'm white probably not so funny if you are on the reiceving end of that insult.