Minecraft Multiplayer Brought Down by DDoS Attack

Gasaraki

Oct 15, 2009
There's nothing more annoying than some little kids with a ddos program that they found on the internet who think that they're suddenly unbeatable uber hackers -_-

lonercs

Jun 6, 2008
It's not 4chan. Many /b/ro's love minecraft, them most likely are pissed at this. Who ever did this is retarded, there are series of updates planned for Halloween. Then it goes to beta and doubles in price. Seems like people just rushed to buy they game before the price increase. Minecraft is known to crash from a rush of people going on at the same time.

4chan wouldn't be fucking with minecraft.

IRaithI

Mar 10, 2010
When I think more and more about this I would do this:

1. Shut down minecraft. (Singleplayer/multiplayer)

2. Demand a big..."donation" from the idiots who did it.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Wow, what a bunch of selfish dicks.

I fell sorry for all of the the Minecraft players who have to suffer for this greediness.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Macgyvercas said:
Is this Anonymous's work again?

Man, that guy is *content removed to protect from Anonymous's Wrath*.

But seriously, Andy is right. Players who bring the game down are not fans.
Anonymous is to busy with Geene Simsons and ACTA, if anything this is just a bunch a basment dweeling assholes hellbent on ruining everyones fun. (Plus if it were Anon they would have had that in their message, Anon always takes credit for it's work. Anon may very well try to track these people down, <inecraft is crazy popular on 4chan and Ebaums right now)

anyGould

Sep 17, 2007
Galad said:
I call bullocks on all this, it's probably just a bunch of lowlifes trying to get some 15 mins of pointless internet reputation out of someone else's attack.
Still brings up the question of "why are you DDOSing an indie developer?".

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
So they don't get what they want and decide to ruin it for everyone? Way to step up, fellers.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Sense of entitlement out of control? Erm...they did pay money for the thing, did they not? Really, I think sometimes this line just gets thrown out at random at all pirates/hackers these days to block any kind of thinking on the subject. Though even so yes...it's not like these guys own the rights to ALL players playing minecraft all of a sudden. *sigh*

That being said...these guys really are grade-A idiots if they think this will encourage faster updates (more like the exact opposite). Then again, as with all things anonymous, this might as well have just been a post made by some basement-dweller who wants to take credit for crap he didn't start at all. Truth is, we'll probably never know for sure.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
What the heck? Notch has already got a big update planned for the end of the month, and he's already gotten a development team together to continue bringing out updates. These people can make bots to bring down a website but they can't be half-assed to wait another week and a half for an update to the damn game? Or understand that it takes, I dunno, time and testing for features to be properly implemented? What a bunch of self-centered idiots.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
lonercs said:
It's not 4chan. Many /b/ro's love minecraft, them most likely are pissed at this. Who ever did this is retarded, there are series of updates planned for Halloween. Then it goes to beta and doubles in price. Seems like people just rushed to buy they game before the price increase. Minecraft is known to crash from a rush of people going on at the same time.

since the True Anons like minecraft why dont they take these guys down so they can play again? its not beyond their power... or is it?

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Didn't realise the backlash would be this quick. I have noticed a lot of people going from "wow what a great indie dev" to "250 grand a day?! He's joined the evil ones!" He's a one man team and even if he hired a staff of a hundred this shit still takes time. It's a mixture of jealousy that such a simple game is so successful and the usual crap of people taking things too seriously. I think people should be as supportive of Indie devs as they can because when this guy is running EA he won't look on his customers as assholes.

Impluse_101

Jun 25, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
Andy Chalk said:
You guys aren't fans. You're just a bunch of dicks.
Amen!

OT: What needs to be said has been quoted. This is the worst way to say "Go update your game." By causing him to rush and try and bring back up his website which may take a few hours. I think this goes into the new Troll Science meme perfectly.

Calumon: Why are silly people silly?
Well Calumon, people are stupid you see, and people want to be the best their is, and they want attention.

OT: I'm glad that they're doing everything they can to bring up Minecraft Multi again. These trolls, and trolls in general, all need to be shot and killed. How? I'll let the public decide.

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
I wrote that already elsewhere i can just repeat it:

Wow, way to make the work a developer with a hearth loves into a hate Object, and going on a way to kill the Soul of it. The same Soul that created the Game in the First place.

Way to be arrogant, annoying pricks with an overarching entitlement guys.

Especially when the Date for the next pretty HUGE Update is announced for the end of this Month (and i am sorry here but that really pisses me off) Fuckheads!

And just in case you forgott: you got TOLD that you pay for a ALPHA-Version before the Purchase, Dicknecks!

Nevyrmoore

Aug 13, 2009
vallorn said:
lonercs said:

since the True Anons like minecraft why dont they take these guys down so they can play again? its not beyond their power... or is it?
A DDoS works over many computers, that's many IP addresses. A lot of which are likely to be innocent, because most DDoS attacks involve computers that have been affected by trojans. This is why it's very hard to defend against such an attack, and just as hard to track down whodunnit.

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
Well, this reaffirms two things for me: I hate 4chan, and I hate kids who think running a DDoS attack program is 'hacking'.

Attacking an indie dev who's working his ass off to provide updates to a pretty cool, original title - yeah, that'll speed up those updates. The fact that the Oct update is coming in less than 10 days now, did nothing for them eh?

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I hope they don't think they're some kind heroes for doing this, fighting the good fight for the average joe out there. This is just plain wrong.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
felixader said:
And just in case you forgott: you got TOLD that you pay for a ALPHA-Version before the Purchase, Dicknecks!
HAHAH! Oh man...really? It was even like that? Aight...I think I'll retract my previous starting comment, these guys definately had an overdevloped sense of entitlement.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
vallorn said:
*sigh* no mention of my thread that reported this first then... thanks for the complement Escapist...
You do realize that the Off-topic forum isn't exactly AP Wire, and that perhaps the process behind posting a News article is different from posting a comment in a forum? I can guarantee your comment thread was not in our system first.

vallorn

Nov 18, 2009
Nevyrmoore said:
vallorn said:
lonercs said:

A DDoS works over many computers, that's many IP addresses. A lot of which are likely to be innocent, because most DDoS attacks involve computers that have been affected by trojans. This is why it's very hard to defend against such an attack, and just as hard to track down whodunnit.
so the power of Anon has its limits eh? good to know...

vallorn

Nov 18, 2009
paulgruberman said:
vallorn said:
*sigh* no mention of my thread that reported this first then... thanks for the complement Escapist...
You do realize that the Off-topic forum isn't exactly AP Wire, and that perhaps the process behind posting a News article is different from posting a comment in a forum? I can guarantee your comment thread was not in our system first.
ah. i did not know that. sorry... :(