Minecraft: Video Game Violence's Latest Victim

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Another day, another game made into a pariah to make shitty parents feel better about themselves.
If your kid is packing weapons to go to school with for any reason you can conceive you are failing as a parent.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
How do you craft a pistol in Minecraft? I can't find it on the WIKI anywhere!

Ken Sapp

Cat Herder
Apr 1, 2010
KarmaTheAlligator said:
Ken Sapp said:
Many wise words here
Ok, now hurry up and multiply, we need more of you. In fact, if you could repopulate the whole US continent, it'd be great.
I'm a little busy right now but I'll get on that once I have some free time.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
1. How the fuck did that kid get his hands on a gun? The father should have had that secured far away from where a kid can get at it.

2. I?m pretty sure minecraft doesn't actually have guns and it not exactly a violent game.

3. Hammers to dig? what?

4. If your kid is so out of touch with reality that they think they need to bring weapons to school to protect themselves from the creepers and zombies that?s a parent fail.

5. Kids thinking weapons are cool is not a video game problem. The media in general glorifies violence.

Specter Von Baren said:
Well... on the brightside, this introduced me to this awesome gif I found on the Kotaku article.

Hah, that gif is perfect for so many things.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Darmani said:
Rebel_Raven said:
... Wow. Holy ... I'm speechless. My mind boggles. We need a law or something to prevent this scapegoating crap. Personal responsibility needs to be accounted for. The parents need to be held accountable.

I thought this topic was a joke. Minecraft couldn't have been implicated, could it? Sadly the joke is that I was wrong.
I am always surprised how pro-gun you are.
I'm not sure why. :p

Honestly, I grew up around guns. BB, pellet, paintball, .22, 12 ga, .45 S&P, .410. Yeah, it wasn't a huge selection, but I learned to appreciate the smell of freshly fired rounds, how to shoot straight, firearm safety, and so forth without formal classes. Granted I learned from my father who was in the military.

And from childhood I played all sorts of violent videogames, read comic books, watched violent TV. Pretty much everything but drugs, and alcohol that old white dudes said was bad for society. Heck, I'll admit I'm not necessarily the most sane person either considering depression, and what not. According to the media, I'm probably overqualified in the scapegoat department to go on a shooting spree, but I don't. I'm perfectly happy to keep my gunplay aimed squarely at paper targets in a safe location far from pointing it at living beings, and to videogames.

Honestly, we're all a little screwed up. We're all human. A great many humans have guns, yet the vast majority don't shoot other people outside of line of work/war.

When it comes to weapons, I recognize that how they're used depends squarely on the person using it. Guns have no free will, and no control over the wielder. That said, I generally look to the wielder of the weapon as the one to blame.
And in this case, I look more at the person that is responsible for the person with the gun, I.E. the parent of a child.

These scapegoats really do bother me.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
MysticSlayer said:
Completely ignore the fact that his perception of reality is so screwed up that he actually wanted to reenact a character from a game in real life.
He's NINE YEARS OLD. That's what they do.

I have a nephew around the same age, and I can easily see him pulling something like this. It's why we don't allow him anywhere near weapons or even heavy tools around he house.

Lemme reiterate that. Young boys (possibly girls, too) often like to imitate the actions they see on TV, video games, etc. It's not that they don't know the difference between TV/games and real life, they're just playing. He doesn't think he needs to defend himself from zombies, he's just pretending to be Steve, packing up the tools and gear he needs to survive digging for diamonds and redstone in the center of the Earth.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
SAMAS said:
MysticSlayer said:
Completely ignore the fact that his perception of reality is so screwed up that he actually wanted to reenact a character from a game in real life.
He's NINE YEARS OLD. That's what they do.

I have a nephew around the same age, and I can easily see him pulling something like this. It's why we don't allow him anywhere near weapons or even heavy tools around he house.

Lemme reiterate that. Young boys (possibly girls, too) often like to imitate the actions they see on TV, video games, etc. It's not that they don't know the difference between TV/games and real life, they're just playing. He doesn't think he needs to defend himself from zombies, he's just pretending to be Steve, packing up the tools and gear he needs to survive digging for diamonds and redstone in the center of the Earth.
I understand that his age has something to do with it. However, there also comes the point in which children should understand what is and isn't allowed for their reenactment, and he simply does not understand that divide. My friends and I used to re-enact characters from games all the time during recess when we were this kid's age, but we also understood not to sneak out a butter knife to help improve the experience, much more something even more potentially dangerous. Maybe he'll eventually grow out of it. But still, there comes a point where parents need to be aware of when their child doesn't fully understand the divide between what they are doing in the game and what they are doing in real life and have a talk with them about it before they potentially hurt themselves or others in their reenactments. Reenactment isn't bad (psychologically speaking, it actually helps development), but it can become very bad if the child's lack of understanding causes them to take things too far.