Minecraft: Video Game Violence's Latest Victim

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Again, SCREW GUN CONTROL, LET'S BLAME THE GAMES FOR WHY MY SPAWN BROUGHT A FIREARM INTO SCHOOL!

It makes me even angrier considering it's Minecraft. As far as official content goes, there are no guns or knives. I wouldn't be surprised if knife was used in preference to the word sword, given moral panics over knife crime in the past.

Next thing they'll say is that Mario is making kids play with fire.

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
A funny aside, Total Biscuit (like him or not) posted something about this on Twitter, saying the kid shouldn't have been able to get that gun in the first place. Apparently someone promptly replied telling him to stick to games and shut up with his liberal nonsense.

I hate to do this but... "Only in America"

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
Specter Von Baren said:
Well... on the brightside, this introduced me to this awesome gif I found on the Kotaku article.

That's quite possibly the most amazing gif I've ever seen.
Also found this on the article, which pretty much sums up my reaction I mean, really, MINECRAFT?!. At least games like GTA V made some semblance of sense. As if this whole game blaming thing wasn't ridiculous enough already...

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
In Australia you can buy guns if to want, however you need to have them locked up securely. Am I an idiot or does America not have similar laws? For the love of eggs on toast America, get your shit together.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Kalezian said:
Again though, my first question is how exactly a nine year old was able to get a hold of his fathers pistol so easily.
The news report I saw said the firing pin on the gun was broken, so it would not have fired. As stupid as it sound he may have not locked it up after it was broke.

Also the dad blames this on the hour of mine craft the kid plays a day, how smart can the man be.

Evil Smurf

Nov 11, 2011
direkiller said:
Kalezian said:
Again though, my first question is how exactly a nine year old was able to get a hold of his fathers pistol so easily.
The news report I saw said the firing pin on the gun was broken, so it would not have fired. As stupid as it sound he may have not locked it up after it was broke.

Also the dad blames this on the hour of mine craft the kid plays a day, how smart can the man be.
He is a genius, he hates his child and has blamed his bad parenting on a videogame, something that works really well in American media. Fox News will call him a hero.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Evil Smurf said:
In Australia you can buy guns if to want, however you need to have them locked up securely. Am I an idiot or does America not have similar laws? For the love of eggs on toast America, get your shit together.
Yeah mate that's what makes me laugh when American's point to Australia and say we're not allowed guns thus we can't be free, when in reality we have guns but are required to be responsible with them. Something Republicans don't seem to understand (well atleast not Fox/the loudmouths).

Evil Smurf

Nov 11, 2011
kiri2tsubasa said:
Evil Smurf said:
We do, we have laws that outright state where you can place your guns when they are not either on the way to a firing range, having maintenance performed, being used as a means of self defense in the event of home invasion. The laws state that they need to be locked in a fire proof safe. The problem is that some people do not believe in those things, they are morons.
Just as well, stay safe man. I don't know you but all the same, I don't want you to get shot.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
freaper said:
Specter Von Baren said:
Well... on the brightside, this introduced me to this awesome gif I found on the Kotaku article.

Angel Beats was actually pretty darn good. I recommend it for sure.

OT: Oh, right, I'm meant to say something about the topic...
Thanks for the name of the show. I'm gonna watch it just to find out about the character that chose to go out the window backwards like a boss.

OT:
It really sounds like the father was just trying to pull a "boys will be boys, he just saw it on the TV." I don't know how "Imitable Acts" works for this kind of stuff, but really how did that kid get his hands on his parents gun plus ammo.

Its a damn good thing there wasn't a little kid with a lisp wearing green camo that day.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Minecraft does not have guns, hammers, or knives.

TERRARIA, on the other hand...

Funyahns

Sep 2, 2012
Well one thing no one is mentioning on here. At least no one got hurt and that is the main thing. Now, this is a problem squarely on parents. If a 9 year old brings your gun to school, the child is not the one who should be punished. One thing i never hear though, is people discussing with children the difference between reality and fiction. Seems a lot of adults assume children know perfectly well, while most young kids are still developing a sense of separation

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Minecraft is a scourge on our civilization. It's teaching thousands of kids to go out into the woods and punch down trees so they can fashion tools such as hammers, knives, and guns. With these tools they are compelled to dig and kill zombies.

Obviously us adults know hammers are poor digging tools and you want some professionally made weapons to fend off the zombie hordes, but kids don't!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Frankly I just want to track down this father just so I can yell "THERE ARE NO GUNS IN MINECRAFT YOU FUCKING TOOL!" Oh and "YOU LET YOUR KID GET HIS HANDS ON A GUN!? YOU ARE A FUCKING HORRIBLE PARENT!" Why yes, this whole situation has left me more than a little steamed.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
Arrogancy said:
Gunner 51 said:
Minecraft?!?! Minecraft?!?!?
I should be shocked that an out of touch judge is blaming my preferred media - but I'm not. But I am rather shocked he cited Minecraft (of ALL games!)
It seems that the kid's father and the media are blaming Minecraft, not the judge.
Oops, my mistake.
That'll teach me to skim through articles.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
soooo.... can we start blaming the person yet or are we still doing the political correct thing and blaming:
bullies, guns, television, books, trains, movies, comic-books, video games, breathing chemicals that are unnaturally placed in the air, the floaties in your water, chemicals in your food, toys, the people you hang out with, radiation, etc.

Feel free to add to the list.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
I have no words for this so take it away Dr Cox!

I mean, really, what is wrong with these people?

siomasm

Jul 12, 2012
This just in!
Irrevocable evidence linking vikings to the popular game "Skyrim" may help to explain the inexplicable violence surrounding their culture, later to go as far as influencing the Nazis! Or maybe the other way around, but we wont discuss that.
Tonight at 9!

Seriously, it's just the same old bullshit of them grasping for any excuse that people are sufficently ignorant of to the degree that they will simply nod their heads and agree "Welp, I guess that must be the problem. Darn them science/books/music/movies/vidjya games."

EeviStev

Mar 2, 2011
Judge: "For taking weapons you found at home to school, I sentence you to staying at that home all the time. Oh, and parents? Maybe don't let your kid find your weapons, please."

Dad: "Video games have more influence on my child than I do! How can I teach my child about the dangers of weapons when video games are a thing? Minecraft is a video game, apparently, and therefore corrupting the minds of our youth!"

Everyone with At Least Half a Brain: "Wut."