Minor, insignificant thing that ruined a game for you.

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
I'm not talking about pet peeves, that's something that can appear in any game and either ruin it or just really annoy you. I'm talking about a single, small aspect in a specific game that despite being fairly insignificant, for whatever reason ruined it for you.

For me, it is the camera angle in Civilization: Revolution. I didn't think too much about it initially, but for some reason, the angle that the camera is at by default really bugged me. Normally in a strategy game it's either looking dead on, or at a 45 degree angle if it's isometric. Civ: Rev, however, it seemed to be at a slight 10 or so degree angle at all times. The more I played it, the more it drove me nuts, which is sad because I didn't think it was that bad of a console adaption of the PC games.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
The first boss in the first Devil May Cry game, the giant spider.
I wouldn't actually have a problem with it if I could see it, but the camera loves Dante so much that it focuses only on him. The giant spider is looming somewhere off screen and my only clue that it's attacking is a brief flash of light before Dante loses a chunk of his health. I like Dante as much as the camera, but I realize the boss needs to take priority here...

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
I love Recettear to bits but Recette has a very shrill voice that I can put up with in the shop but in the dungeon she repeats the same lines over and over again every time you get hit. It makes me not want to get hit, which is a good thing, but mostly it makes me not want to ever go in a dungeon again. It also makes her voice all the more grating every time I hear it outside the dungeon.

In the dame vein, when I think back to Arkham Asylum the first thing I remember is the intercom spouting the same lines with barely a pause between them. I like to take my time and smell the roses, and in a game like Batman doubly so, but that damned intercom had me muting the game fairly often.

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
The early Super Robot Wars games. I love Turn Based Strategy, I love the SRW games, but, holy crap why are the early games using still sprites, Fire Emblem, Front Mission, and Super Famicom Wars, all had moving sprites, Why not SRW. It is so little considering i don have that problem with other RPG's but, if any game should have been required to have moving sprites it is SRW since the appeal is to command your favorite Super Robots to do their cool stuff as a strategy title. Watching Getter Robo slam in to an enemy like a little kid banging two chess pieces together and calling it Getter Tomahawk is not as fun as it actually producing a tomahawk and chopping its enemy.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Civilization V. I have a hard time playing it while all the units look the same. I can deal with it for small bouts of multiplayer but I don't like such a small amount of distinctions between Civs. Thankfully the R.E.D Modpack fixed those erks for single player :D.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Err, recently I started FO:NV, and I noticed that there are less readily available side quests in your face compared to FO3. So to get lots of delicious side quests you have to hunt around for them.

There are other issues I have with the game that I could list, but this one surprisingly bugs me the most.

(I realise some people like having to travel and find stuff on their own, it's just not for me).

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Baby Mario crying in Yoshi's Island. The game would have been 10000x better without that little annoyance.

Come to think of it, most of my annoyances that cause me to stop playing are sound-related. Most often, endlessly repeated dialogue like they couldn't record more than 2 different lines to prompt you to do something.

risue

Apr 3, 2010
the size, scale, and relative locations of historical buildings in Assassin's Creed games... as an architecture student, bah they bug me in the game

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I dunno how 'insignificant' you'd call it, but the various aspects of combat in games like Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights 2, Morrowind, etc.

Baldur's Gate and the other Infinity Engine games I don't like because of the fuck-off random nature of the automated dice rolls for combat that means you could get through the opening without a scratch or the first Goblin you run across could decimate your entire team.

Morrowind I don't like because it plays like an Action-RPG, but still relies on the same dice mechanics to determine whether you hit or not.

Neverwinter Nights 2 I'd be able to live with if it weren't so arsing slow, because the 3.5 rules seem a little bit more lenient for early-game than the AD&D 2nd rules used in the earlier games. Even if it matched the same (still pathetically) slow speed of the KotOR games I would've been able to live with it, but it's somehow even slower.

For one that's a little more pedantic, I don't really like the isometric view in CRPGs either, though it's not necessarily a deal-breaker depending on the game in question.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Annoying one liners being repeated over and over again. Didn't destroy the entire game for me but I can't play cat women in the challenge mode of batman:ac despite liking her move set just because she is annoying as hell with her stupid lines at the stat of every fight. At least the others don't talk.

shrekfan246 said:
I dunno how 'insignificant' you'd call it, but the various aspects of combat in games like Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights 2, Morrowind, etc.

Baldur's Gate and the other Infinity Engine games I don't like because of the fuck-off random nature of the automated dice rolls for combat that means you could get through the opening without a scratch or the first Goblin you run across could decimate your entire team.

Morrowind I don't like because it plays like an Action-RPG, but still relies on the same dice mechanics to determine whether you hit or not.

Neverwinter Nights 2 I'd be able to live with if it weren't so arsing slow, because the 3.5 rules seem a little bit more lenient for early-game than the AD&D 2nd rules used in the earlier games. Even if it matched the same (still pathetically) slow speed of the KotOR games I would've been able to live with it, but it's somehow even slower.

For one that's a little more pedantic, I don't really like the isometric view in CRPGs either, though it's not necessarily a game-breaker depending on the game in question.
I am actually replaying baldurs gate and yeah. Its fine later when you actually have tools to work with and few bad rolls probably won't kill you but the beginning is fucking terrible with how reliant you are on the random number god. Lots of quick saving and reloading because there just isn't anything you can do about it.

Its more of an issue in games like morrowind. I hate when you have to aim and block manually but whether you hit or not is a dice roll. There are few things more frustrating to me than watching my characters sword pass though and enemies face only for it to miss. I rather you did much lower damage but hit if your aim was right.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn making sure every. single. character. had a line for each situation they got themselves into. They did similar things in Golden Sun and Lost Age, but the cast was generally a lot smaller for larger portions of the game and typically not EVERYONE had to get a word in. But something about Dark Dawn just profoundly bugs me in a way its predecessors did not, which is a grave disservice to some really nicely designed environments and Psynergy puzzles.

Also, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon had no support conversations, which had been a staple in nearly all the Fire Emblem games released in North America thus far. It also lacked the rescue command. While I could adapt to not having rescue, no supports and no base conversations (the saviour of stripped-down supports in Radiant Dawn) basically killed Shadow Dragon for me, the die-hard Fire Emblem fan.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Not being able to import my player character from SR2 to SR3
Normally this would be a big deal, but then nothing in that game felt significant.
Aside from visuals I don't really think Saints Row 2 had multiple choices that could affect 3, not really Mass effect. But aside from copying all the inputs (which I did) you can't really get the same character, but then with the style change I made a better looking character.

Speaking of Mass Effect I am disappointed that Shepard never got a body slider (triangle?), would of made Mass effect loads better. Vega looks he can break Femshep's arms in half, girls too scrawny to be in the military.

Traveling Hero

Jun 3, 2012
There's no continue screen in my favorite game of all time, Symphony of the Night. If you die, the screen SLOWLY melts into a Game Over Screen that lasts far too long in and of itself. Then it takes you back to the start menu, where you have to re-select your save game and wait for it to load up. The whole process takes about a minute and a half.

MrPhyntch

Nov 4, 2009
xyrafhoan said:
While I could adapt to not having rescue, no supports and no base conversations (the saviour of stripped-down supports in Radiant Dawn) basically killed Shadow Dragon for me, the die-hard Fire Emblem fan.
For me it was the faceless sprites (even the GBA sprites had more character to them!), horribly implemented and convoluted class-change system, the fact that it's built on nostalgia for a game we've never played in the US (most of the old bare-bones story is left intact in places it REALLY could use updating), the boring battle animations, and the terrible washed out "realistic" graphics style (which while repeated in Awakening, did get much more life and color there). Definitely not the best Fire Emblem game.

Anyway, for me it would be the hats and extra weapons system in TF2. At first, it became exactly what I was looking for in Team Fortress when I first got it (a sort of RPG-style leveling class system), but quickly became way too overrun with a huge variety of weapons that is impossible to keep up with, and the hats became way to important in the game, especially with item sets taking over. On top of this, the completionist in me kinda gave up at that point, seeing the overwhelming amount of stuff added.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Impractical or otherwise unrealistic armour and weapons.

It's especially prevalent in games from Japan and with female characters, but every time I see some character wandering around in next to nothing wielding some over-elaborate weapon that in real life wouldn't be useful as anything more than a doorstop... yeah, can't stand it. If the aesthetics are intentionally cartoony enough I might let it slide but even then in the back of my mind I'll be gnashing my teeth and glaring at the stupidly stupid armour and weapons.

Who designs this stuff? I realize it's often fantasy that does this, but even fantasy has to have some grounding in reality, such as gravity and the fact that no human being could ever use that thing as an effective weapon or wear such a dumb outfit and expect to be taken seriously.

Mystify

Apr 15, 2009
Kingdom of Amalur. The camera is tilted kinda downwards, so you can't actually look out to the horizon without messing with the camera. It really threw off the entire game for me, it feels like you are walking around staring at your feat. There are nice setpeices that you can walk aright by without noticing, and it really messes up my spatial awareness so I end up staring at the minimap to navigate the entire time... it just causes so many issues that would have gone away if the camera tilted up a few degrees.

Dark Prophet

Jun 3, 2009
Size scales in Starcraft II, some of the cars are bigger than houses and I mean civilian cars and civilian houses, also Kerrigan is taller than Hydra wtf is this.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
the intro from Ninja Blade, that part where the chick turns into one of the mutants
yeah, that shit can go get fucked
turned me off a game I was having a relative amount of fun