Mirror's Edge 2 Announced

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
1337mokro said:
Make combat entirely optional, the most difficult running path should take you past them and avoid the confrontation.
It was already optional. I'm down to a 4-KO run with no deaths.

It's just that no one understood that being within ten feet of a baddie didn't mean you had to punch them...

fenderstrat

Aug 9, 2009
YeS! this is awesome! i cant believe it, it was one of those games where you dream of a sequel but it never happens! well, it did happen!

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
I'm a bit worried about the trailer's overreliance on Combat N' Gunz. That said, I did enjoy Mirror's Edge to a massive degree and I think a sequel, with the presumable budget and quality control expansions that it entails, could do wonders to the IP.

As for my expectations: I wish they'd make the maps a little bit more open this time around. Actually having multiple routes to the objective would be really nice, even if it meant cutting a little bit on the challenge and on the scripted scenes.
Also, I wish they'd keep the development cycle running a little bit longer after release. We all know EA won't let us have custom maps, so they could at least supply us with some quality challenge type maps (no floating blocks,ty) after we're done playing the campaign.

And for the love of god, if you guys are going to strap MP to it like you do to everything else, please, at least make it somewhat engaging. Here are a few ideas:

1) Competitive running: Place two or more players in a multiple-route map and let them race to the objective. To make this a little bit more enjoyable, let players interact. Setting up traps, making certain routes unavailable, tripping the oponent make for very interesting and refreshing gameplay elements.

2)Cooperative running: Set up a somewhat large map with several briefcases and clients. Have two or more players deliver as many briefcases as they can before the timer runs out. To make this interesting you may let players throw briefcases to each other, thus enabling them to overcome certain obstacles much faster (throwing a briefcase over a large gap or a moderately high wall).

3)Interception: Have one player set as a runner and one or more different players set as a foe (maybe a cop or a rival runner). Have the main runner deliver a package while the other tries to intercept it (probably wouldn't work too well with guns).

4)H.O.R.S.E: Set up a map with a single route consisting of very challenging series of obstacles. Have the players perform each series of jumps one after the other. Every time one of them fails an obstacle (maybe you can track this with triggers like "rough falls", "complete stops" or "time exceeded") they get a letter, first one to spell HORSE is the loser.

I firmly believe MP would greatly enhance this game, I just hope they do it right.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Please don't suck.Please don't suck.Please don't suck.Please don't suck.

Slick enemy design! Hopefully I can start screaming misogynistic obscenities again soon ^^

mateushac said:
4)H.O.R.S.E: Set up a map with a single route consisting of very challenging series of obstacles. Have the players perform each series of jumps one after the other. Every time one of them fails an obstacle (maybe you can track this with triggers like "rough falls", "complete stops" or "time exceeded") they get a letter, first one to spell HORSE is the loser.
Is that a reference to Tony Hawk's skating game(s)? There was a "horse" mode as well. Good times.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
If that is all in game footage/engine I am very impressed! Also, that was a tattoo on her face? Oh that much have hurt like Hell to get done but I do like that the art of tattoo is been rep in games

-M

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
lacktheknack said:
1337mokro said:
Make combat entirely optional, the most difficult running path should take you past them and avoid the confrontation.
It was already optional. I'm down to a 4-KO run with no deaths.

It's just that no one understood that being within ten feet of a baddie didn't mean you had to punch them...
Sure which is why there is an unavoidable boss fight and several points you can't access or climb without dying. Yeah no, you don't get to bullshit me without a link of a playthrough with you literally not punching anyone.

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
freaper said:
Please don't suck.Please don't suck.Please don't suck.Please don't suck.

Slick enemy design! Hopefully I can start screaming misogynistic obscenities again soon ^^

mateushac said:
Is that a reference to Tony Hawk's skating game(s)? There was a "horse" mode as well. Good times.
Well, of course it is! HORSE in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 was amazing!

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Very, very stoked for this. Looking forward to seeing what new innovations they add to the sequel.

CyberMachinist

Oct 8, 2012
I'll admit the game does look good, and that setting just speaks to me for some reason, plus the music certainly helped set the tone of the game for me, but I'll hold my opinion on it until more info comes out, i didn't get the first game but I certainly liked some of it's ideas, let's see how this will go.

Now if only we got an open-world version of this game..... just think free-running everywhere, i have so many ideas for games involving this right now.

Captcha says "Goosebumps" I wonder who has them now *looks at posters*

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
mateushac said:
I'm a bit worried about the trailer's overreliance on Combat N' Gunz.
I'd just like to point out that at no point in that entire trailer did Faith fire a gun. The trailer showed more or less half of what happened in Mirror's Edge, which is you running from people shooting at you and (optionally) punching them out of your way while passing through them. The only thing it didn't show was the more relaxed free running bits, and while those are some of my favorite parts, I'll admit that they wouldn't make for a very exciting trailer. Worry not; this trailer wasn't aimed primarily at people that already wanted Mirror's Edge 2(we already want it), but at the people that could make Mirror's Edge sell better than the first one.

Wait for more in depth presentations involving Last Man Standing multiplayer gun brawls and such. Then worry.

Nightvalien

Oct 18, 2010
Oh EA I promised myself to never buy from you again but you have to pull me back, so please please don't suck, let this be good.

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
Damn you EA!!!!! I had sworn I would never spend another penny on your games and then you went and did THIS! You're so terrible but every now and then you do this.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Gatx said:
I'm glad it exists, but hopefully this trailer isn't a sign that it's going in a more action focused direction. As much as I liked the combat in the first game (I might be in the minority), and it looks much improved and even Oni-esque here, the game's focus should be running right?
Yeah, they do seem to like the combat focus. On the other hand... That clip makes it look like she just throws guns away by default... Suggesting they may have pulled all gun combat from the game. (Which, from what I remember of the first game, would be a good thing; The combat was generally OK right up until you got to sections where doing anything other than shooting your way through the enemies was nearly impossible)

But anyway, I hope this turns out well... (And has a PC release... XD)

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
It's been a long time since I've actually squee'd at something.I'm so happy!

But hell, isn't Faith looking fantastic.

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
Just a few details:
- Very early in development
- XBone, PS4 and PC
- Reboot (So just "Mirror's Edge" again it seems)

WTF? on that last one. Was that really necessary?

Apr 5, 2008
It was suspected for a while. Anyway, don't care. First game was shit, sequel will be shit unless it's entirely different. Won't buy it and even if it were amazing, I won't install Origin. Sorry EA, nothing from me.

Chatboy 91

Feb 25, 2011
Juan Regular said:
- Reboot (So just "Mirror's Edge" again it seems)
Who's saying it's a reboot? For all we know it could be a prequel. Or a new game with flashbacks to the past to give some context to the story. You know, that big thing that was missing in the first one.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Multi-platform Multi-platform Multi-platform Multi-platform Multi-platform Multi-platform Multi-platform Multi-platform
Please for the love of god let this be Multi-platform

This is the only game that will make me buy a next generation system and if it's an Xobxone exclusive I'll just have to start my murder rampage a little earlier than I expected.

Oh my god EA you finally did something right you beautiful GLORIOUS BASTARDS!!!
I completely forgive you for ruining Mass Effect.