Mirror's Edge 2 Goes Open World

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Mirror's Edge 2 Goes Open World

The first-person parkour game is putting the "free" in free-running.

It seems like you can't develop a Flash game these days without it getting converted into a grand open-world free roaming experience, and EA is nothing if not willing to hop on that bandwagon. EA Labels president Frank Gibeau described the upcoming Mirror's Edge 2 as an "open-world action adventure game" in the company's E3 2013 analyst call. The game will also reboot the franchise (which is currently comprised of two entries: the original Mirror's Edge and its side-scrolling iOS spinoff of the same name).

It's been revealed that the upcoming Mirror's Edge (no more 2) will be a reboot/prequel, exploring the origins of the first game's tattooed protagonist, Faith. "Reboot" may be something of a misnomer, since there's hardly any lore to reboot in the first place, but the new name seems to say otherwise. In any event, you'll be back on the rooftops of the original dystopian city, and if the "open-world" label is to be believed, you'll be able to employ parkour to your heart's content to get around. The first game was pretty linear, with only a handful of alternative routes for those skilled enough to find them, so this represents a pretty major shift in design.

Ignoring the unavoidable confusion that comes with giving every game in the franchise the same name, the change to open-world could be problematic for Mirror's Edge. Linear levels are usually a bad thing, but the original game's free-running system did a great job of letting you take advantage of the environment to forge an interesting path from Point A to Point B. The addition of open world elements could radically improve our appreciation for the game's iconic city, or it could be a fatal disruption to the tightly-designed flow of the first game.

Mirror's Edge is in development for PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/413684/mirrors-edge-2-is-open-world-says-ea-exec/]

CyberMachinist

Oct 8, 2012
I Thought this kind of idea was just wishful thinking on people who had this idea and wanted it implemented..... Didn't think it would happen in this decade, let alone by EA.

Now will just have to wait and see how they handle this, I'm all for the idea but I'm more concerned about the execution, alot of good idea's were hacked due to bad execution in the past, i wonder how they'll make this work.

Captcha Hear hear alright.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I don't know if Mirror's Edge will be as good as Mirror's Edge, so maybe I'll wait for Mirror's Edge.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
HOLY SHITCOCKING FUCK.

Seriously. This news is music to my ears. Not only will it be open-world, but also on the PC? Hellz yeah! This sounds like the proper response to all of the main criticisms of the first game. EA, DON'T FUCK THIS UP. Gaming needs more variety, and we also need more good female protagonists in good games.

Vetta E-dom

Mar 10, 2012
Thought this would happen, DICE have hinted/suggested that they want to make an open-world game, and Mirrors edge 1 felt like a proof of concept, can't say I take any issue with this, love me some open world games Can't WAIT!

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Now -this- is a good idea. The fact you were so railroaded in ME was one of the issues with it, alongside some dodgy gunplay. This ought be an excellent addition.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Considering that this is an EA Game, I've a feeling that they're going to mess this game somehow. It's not a matter of whether they will, it's a matter of how and how much.

But then again, it's also a game from DICE. Say what you will about their consistent lineup of military shooters, but they're good military shooters. The Frostbite 3 engine makes the game look more beautiful than before, and the sandbox element can really add a dimension unseen in the first game.

But then again, I feel like storytelling is the weakest point of DICE's games (as you can see from the campaign modes of all the Battlefield games). The story for Mirror's Edge was weak enough, but I don't know if they're able to make Mirror's Edge 2's story an improvement from it. Also, I'm afraid EA and DICE are going to fall into the same traps as the previous game and emphasis more on fighting and combat than actual parkour.

So rather than risk disappointment, I'm just going to see what the game itself is like before falling into the hype.

Vetta E-dom

Mar 10, 2012
an annoyed writer said:
HOLY SHITCOCKING FUCK.

Seriously. This news is music to my ears. Not only will it be open-world, but also on the PC? Hellz yeah! This sounds like the proper response to all of the main criticisms of the first game. EA, DON'T FUCK THIS UP. Gaming needs more variety, and we also need more good female protagonists in good games.
I like your style we should hang out..

Only way this could get better is if there were some sort of Deus Ex, Mirrors edge, Remember me Cross over

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
Honestly, I think the immense stupidity of the rebooting/titling will be worth it just for the sake of watching how ballistic Yahtzee goes over it once the game comes out.

[small][sub]Mind you, making it open-world was definitely a good move.[/sub][/small]

CyberMachinist

Oct 8, 2012
Gabe Yaden said:
Only way this could get better is if there were some sort of Deus Ex, Mirrors edge, Remember me Cross over
No, you are thinking too small, it would be better if it was all that plus crossovers with other Scifi/Cyberpunk/something I'm trying to remember, works( I can only think of "GiTS" and System shock or portal ATM) and was some new type of RPG-ish parkour-running, Stealth and a bunch of other genres That might come to mind, game that became a new genre....... And probably add time travel to include other games like Thief.

Did i go overboard?

Agent_Dark

Oct 27, 2010
Ldude893 said:
But then again, I feel like storytelling is the weakest point of DICE's games (as you can see from the campaign modes of all the Battlefield games). The story for Mirror's Edge was weak enough, but I don't know if they're able to make Mirror's Edge 2's story an improvement from it. Also, I'm afraid EA and DICE are going to fall into the same traps as the previous game and emphasis more on fighting and combat than actual parkour.
I remember reading an interview with Rhianna Pratchett where she talked about how she was brought into the project fairly late in it's development, meaning that most of the plot was driven by the level/art/gameplay designers and not the actual writer. She basically had to form a plot around what they'd already programmed.

With any luck they brought on Pratchett, or whoever the writer is this time, much earlier on in the project so they can form a much more integrated story.

HaraDaya

Nov 9, 2009
I never liked the puzzle platformer part of Mirror's Edge. I just want to "feel the flow", while jumping from rooftop to rooftop, with the same gorgeous backdrops.
So I'm all for the direction they want to take.

SamtheDeathclaw

Aug 8, 2009
Wait hang on.
Did I fall into some kind of alternate universe sometime on Sunday?
First, Microsoft manages to alienate almost its entire devoted fanbase.
Sony actually managed not to suck and die.
Nintendo is making an actual direct sequel to one of the best LoZ games, AND another Pikmin game.
And now this, EA actually doing something customers want.

Anyways, I'm so excited. The linear world was my only sort-of problem with Mirror's Edge. SO YAY.

MorphingDragon

Apr 17, 2009
Mr.Tea said:
Hot damn! This is an unexpected development...

Well, bring it on, DICE! My body could not be more ready for more Mirror's Edge.
Now just imagine all of the Mirrors Edge Rule34.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
And my interest has peaked. Like you said DICE/EA, release the game "When It's Ready".

vid87

May 17, 2010
How exactly does ONE entry in a series warrant a reboot? It should be called a Mulligan.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
MorphingDragon said:
Mr.Tea said:
Hot damn! This is an unexpected development...

Well, bring it on, DICE! My body could not be more ready for more Mirror's Edge.
Now just imagine all of the Mirrors Edge Rule34.
No need to imagine, just google it. Plenty of it already exists. And plenty more will follow, because Rule 34.