Misanthropes: I don't get you.

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
The issue is that those who look life positively lose sight of the obstacles preventing their growth as a human.

While a misanthrope feels no reason to care of life and lose grasp of the well being of themselves.

I believe that those whose life ACTUALLY sucks has every reason to hate it, but should remain determined to find that better life.

Also, those whose lives don't actually suck, STFU and grow up. Seriously, you have it well. look for ways to benefit yourselves as humans while remaining savvy of the problems, issues, implications, and obstacles you will face.

Life doesn't suck, in fact, it can be great, but its also worse than you would expect.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
BiscuitTrouser said:
manic_depressive13 said:
Erm, Life is nicer if you have a positive outlook? Knowing something would be nicer or easier doesn't make you compelled to run about the place wearing a shit eating grin. Seeing an optimist is like watching someone with a lobotomy. It's great that they look so happy, but they're really gross and you wouldn't want to trade places.
People who are happy have shit eating grins and are gross? Well sorry for smiling. I dont mind people who want to sit in dark rooms and cut themselves while listening to "LET THE BODIES HIT THE FUCKING FLOOR" for the billionth time but dont hate on people who are happy. We just found the way to win at life and you apparently didnt. We are not delluded. Or stupid. We just like stuff? Is this a crime? Are the only two options for misanthropes sadness or idiocy? Cant we be happy and not retarded?
Hey woah, step back. I don't even like that song.

You don't necessarily have to be retarded, just incredibly selfish to be content with your confortable life in the face of so much despair and suffering in the world.

Im going to take a deep breath. And ask a few honest questions. Maybe im wrong about misanthropes. Can you help me a bit here?

1: Humanity has to prove themselves. You or i or anyone hardly has a global view of all good/bad occuring in the world at any given time (dont you dare mention the media >.> faux is in that category) how do we jugde that they failed your supreme test?
I don't watch faux news (teehee) by which I assume you mean Fox news. There's no need for sensationalism when looking at the infant mortality rate in African countries, the civilian deaths in Iraq and the absurd discrepancy between the life expectancy of Aboriginal Australians compared to "white" Australians. These are just a small fraction of issues, and they're accurate numbers. It's not fear mongering, it's real. And these are just the things we hear about. Just imagine how much we don't get to hear about, because no one gives enough of a shit to report it and make a huge issue of it. Because they don't care. No one cares. They just go "shit, I'm glad it's not me in that situation", and that's about it.

2.What is the arbitrary unit/jugdement on how much we suck/rock? Who decides this? Why is your jugdement on humanity any better than anyone elses? Is it a purely personal experience? Is it stuff you see online? Can you REALLY REALLY, look at 7 billion people ALL AT ONCE and make such a snap jugdement on if they are worthy or not worthy in your eyes? Is that really fair?
It's partly personal experience and partly awareness of what is occurring in the world. You look at the 7 million people in the world, a fraction of which are ridiculously wealthy, and the rest who can barely scrape a living, or have to live in perpetual fear, and you can't help but think "well, this sucks." Call it arbitrary, but when we live in an egalitarian society free of segregation, religion (the bad kind, I'm okay with spirituality), racism, sexism, class division, and a wide acceptance of eating animals, I'll rethink my perspective on humanity.

3. Isnt the whole idea insanely counter intuative. I mean people hardly act nicer because they are misanthropic... surely the realisation the world sucks would drive someone to try harder to improve it? Are these people lazy? Entitled? Do they want to sit on their golden thrones while the filth peasents improve the world for them and they watch and jugde if they are worthy yet? I dont understand at all, and that wasnt aimed at you tbh, funny image. I mean i figure if you dont wanna be part of the solution why complain?
I want to help people. I hate them, and they terrify me, but I do everything I can. I view them like I view cockroaches or rats. They're a plague; disgusting and repulsive, but I wouldn't want to hurt one, for fuck's sake. They're just as entitled to life as everything else. Which incidentally is the reason I quit eating meat, but I only seem to get laughed at.

People who don't care about humanity are rarely misanthropic. Misanthropy is exacerbated when you dedicate your life to actually trying to fix things only to be ridiculed and dismissed. Have you seen the way people decidedly march past homeless people or charities who are asking for change, pretending they haven't seen them? They're thrifty. Knowleageable. They're not going to be potentially tricked into giving up two dollars out of their pockets. Not when they can use it to buy a fucking bagel or something.

4. Isnt to assume the worst in people horrifically jugdemental? Isnt that like asking the time from someone and having them scream in your face about how terrible you are? Arnt all baseless broud assumptions always wrong and ignorant? Why is this an exception?
It's not baseless. It's been repeatedly observationally verified. People are selfish. Sure, it may be judgemental, but people are judgemental, and I'm a person. We're unpleasant and hypocritical.

I hope you can answer these. Im confused. Can ANYONE answer these?
Done.

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
Nouw said:
It's all about perspective. Also, why is stupidity so looked-down upon? Is it their fault that they're 'stupid' and have sub-par intelligence? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Ultimately, hating on them would only cause them to hate you. You should show compassion and sympathy, not feel a false sense of superiority over them.
False? FALSE?! There's nothing FALSE about my sense of superiority thank you. And I shall look down on them. Stupidity is often analogous to ignorance. There is a cure for ignorance - learning. And this is an opportunity available to practically anyone who seeks it.

But so few do. Worse, they tear down those that do.

THAT is what is worthy of hate.

Adeptus Aspartem said:
Acutally that's a missasumption.

Everyone has the right to judge anyone on this planet. As long as you don't harm them, restrict their personal freedom, insult or discredit them in public you can think of them what you want and judge them all they long.
Bugger that, I'll judge them publicly as well. If their view is wrong (and contrary to popular belief, it is possible to have a wrong opinion. Such as, say, opining that the sun rotates around the earth. When your opinion can be demonstrated to be wrong, it may be just your opinion but it doesn't change the fact that you are wrong.) I'll also publicly degrade and insult them. If they've got integrity, they'll look past the insults and find the truth of the matter, and they will learn and grow.

If they lack integrity, they'll get upset that someone called them a mean name. And I'll continue to insult them, no longer in hopes that they'll learn something, but then for my own amusement.

peruvianskys

Jun 8, 2011
I've always seem misanthropy as a really narcissistic viewpoint, because most misanthropes seem to not lump themselves in with everyone else as shitty and worthless. I don't mind consistent nihilistic hate if it's equally doled out amongst everyone, including yourself and your friends - but too often misanthropy comes off less as "I hate mankind" and more as "I hate everyone else because I'm the only moral person."

I doubt most misanthropes would consider themselves bad people, and because of that I see it as more of an elitist "everyone is bad except me" viewpoint than a true hatred of humanity. People like Pentti Linkola or Carl Panzram qualify as real misanthropes, but embittered elitists who like to complain about how everyone is seemingly failing to meet their ethical standards do not.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Huh, I never thought about it but I suppose I am one myself.

But here's what gets me. *I* strive to be a good human being. Hold on, hold on! I'm not saying I am, but at least I try. I try to be respectful towards others, I try to be considerate and so on. What do I mean by this? If I eat at a public place, I try to keep my table clean so that the place's employee won't hate my guts for making his life harder (I've been on the other end of the stick so I get it), I try not to invade the other parking spot, and stuff. I just try to not be selfish because I hate it when people do that to me.

HOWEVER! This is all worth two fucks because most people are inconsiderate, rude, dumb and they love it! Just today! I was trying to clean up my store (I work at Gamestop) and I managed to organize the entire store perfect, A through Z. This not only helps people find games faster but makes the store look awesome. What's the first thing a family of little fucks do? They come to the store and destroy every.single.wall I fixed. Oh, they saw me fixing it, too. Did they care? Fuck no! Did they buy something? Fuck no! I actually approached them and asked them nicely to try not to make a mess. What did they do? They stared at me and attempted to fix their mess, as if I was at fault! I'm not against people looking at games; go nuts, for all I care! I'm against people being inconsiderate towards others, others like me.
And it's not only this, but dumb people who buy milk at Wal Mart and decide not to take it at the very last minute and what do they do? They leave it next to the magazine aisle. People who try out clothing and instead of leaving it where it belong and they way they found it, they toss it somewhere as if it was a filthy tissue or something.

On a wider sense, I also hate people who just want to screw others. The government making things harder for their citizens, not caring about the people they serve, not realizing the potential people have. And in turn, this turns everyone into little dicks too. But this I don't mind that much. It's inevitable and it will be around forever.

I don't hate all humanity. I'm, in fact, incredibly happy when I find people who are not as dumb or selfish or irresponsible as the majority. Yeah, we all have a little of that, but some of us try not to let is shine through out of respect towards others. I just dislike it when people are selfish and they're fine it or they fail to think they could be wrong.
I guess I am trying to adapt to society but I'm having trouble. On the surface, I'm a well adapted kid. But in reality, I dislike some things about the people I interact with everyday.

I'm not a pessimistic either. My rule is "If you leave me alone, I'll leave you alone". Simple as that. I try to mind my own business and I expect people to just do the same: Mind their own business. When THEIR business starts bothering me, that's when there's trouble. And they're the ones offended. Nuh-uh, that's not how it works. That's just dumb. If people would start being more considerate towards others, I would have no reason to complain about a single thing. But that's just not gonna happen, right? So I try my best to not let it get through me.

I don't know if that makes me bitter or whatever. But I don't mind. I think this allowed me to see humanity's true colors. It's true; we have corrupted ourselves. And I say "we" because I am sadly part of humanity too. I don't think I'm superior or anything, by the way. Just sayin'.

EDIT: Yeah, stupidity does seem to me like a problem that can be fixed. I've met some...less literate people who are great people! They can't spell but boy, are they nice! And I've also met people who claim to be well educated and they go around being dicks, whipping out their "I'm literate" shield around as if this would make people back off and let them be dicks. So, a dumb person? Dumb by choice. I believe instinct would eventually get rid of someone's "dumbness". Are people hating on you? Geez, you ever wondered why? Yeah? Ever tried fixing that about you? Are people calling you dumb? Yes? Why is that?
Do not confuse illiteracy with stupidity.

Imperius

Sep 13, 2010

Seriously.
How can you noobs not see it? Just because it isn't 4chan doesnt mean the trolls dont make it in here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BOG4p1-H2Q

flatten_the_skyline

Jul 21, 2009
bakan said:
You know that misanthropes don't have to be arrogant and can even be altruistic, only the extreme cases live a secluded life - they just kinda despise humans in general for various reasons, like being greedy, destroying the earth etc
Same here. I am a friendly, outgoing person, I have lots of friend and believe that this place would be better off if mankind was to become extinct. I have a lot of empathy for people around me, but when I see storms and fires destroying the US I think "and that's why you shouldn't f*** with nature". Deep in my heart I believe that some countries (Like the place I reside) deserve everything nature throws in their way for being so ignorant and selfish. But I also have little faith in the learning potential of humans in general, so I don't dare to hope that people would build a better society once the old one is in ruins.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
Vault101 said:
bakan said:
Syzygy23 said:
Well, this thread was about misanthropy and not the 'emo-culture', your rant was pointless.
I agree with his rant, because no one has explained this misanthrope thing in a way that DOESNT sound like whiny emo ness (not to mention a lack of perspective on retard levels)

so please, explain to me how its different
Why don't you just search the thread and read my posts?

Misanthropes aren't emo-kids sitting in a corner and cutting themselves because everything is bad.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
bakan said:
Vault101 said:
bakan said:
Syzygy23 said:
Well, this thread was about misanthropy and not the 'emo-culture', your rant was pointless.
I agree with his rant, because no one has explained this misanthrope thing in a way that DOESNT sound like whiny emo ness (not to mention a lack of perspective on retard levels)

so please, explain to me how its different
Why don't you just search the thread and read my posts?

Misanthropes aren't emo-kids sitting in a corner and cutting themselves because everything is bad.
but they are just as annoying

I dunno, to me it seems like emo-ness dressed up under pseudo intulectualism

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
As a misanthrope, I would say it comes from the knowledge of just how awful people can be. Te economies ruined due to a group's short sighted greed, the bloodshed over philosophies or religion, the various atrocities we've done in the past.

And then looking through the history books and seeing how they were done over, and over, and over again.

And then looking at our more recent history, AND SEEING THOSE SAME MISTAKES MADE ALL OVER AGAIN AS IF THEY NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE! BECAUSE APPARENTLY THE CURRENT IDIOTS THINK THEY CAN DO IT BETTER!!

But what I hate most of all, are the optimists. Those who think that by forcing on a smile things will be alright. That forcing a positive outlook will make you genuinely happy. I find those forced smiles falling straight into the uncanny valley, and optimists in general annoy me.

In other words you, my good sir Retyopy, have not endeared yourself to me with your opening post.

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
DCboy17 said:
retyopy said:
No_Remainders said:
retyopy said:
Oh, sure, on a higher level, I do. Humans suck, life is pain, etc. But on a more practical level, you just make no sense to me, and heres why: Life is so much nicer if you have a positive outlook! Just go out into the world, be a nice person, and do something fun. What's the point of hating humanity? Wheres that going to get you?

EXPLAIN YOURSELVES!
I swear I saw this exact thread about a week ago...

Ok, it's not really exactly the same, but still...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.313619-You-know-what-I-hate-Misanthropes

I'm not really a misanthrope. I'm about the closest thing one can be to a misanthrope without actually hating people. I just don't trust them. Anyone walks up to me and asks me about myself, I'll answer vaguely, because I don't know who the fuck they are, and I don't know why they're talking to me.

Sure, some people out there are perfectly nice, it's just that others are douchebags who have ulterior motives, and those people can fuck off.
That person was expressing hatred of misanthropes. I'm expressing my distaste with misanthropes.
Isn't it rather redundant to hate any kind of people, especially on the internet?
Fixed? It's not like bitching about it or expressing your dislike for those people is going to do anything at all to help it or affect it whatsoever. Sure, you can communicate hate all you like, but does it really do anything?

"I hate bad people!" Sure, we all do. "I don't get why people are bad!" Well, we all don't. It's nothing new.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
Vault101 said:
bakan said:
but they are just as annoying

I dunno, to me it seems like emo-ness dressed up under pseudo intulectualism
Did you even read any of the posts I wrote?

So I'll repeat myself, again...

A lot of them don't have to be openly anti-humanity as they do charitable work to improve the general public - because as I said before misanthropy doesn't exclude being philantrope, even though the etymological appearance lets you assume something else.

Yet, they still see that humans are bad or lets say as soon as someone gets powerful they start dragging others down for their own sake and show their true colours - their human nature.

Some famous philopher's even thought that the 'hedgehog's dilemma' is quite a good analogy to describe us humans, though they didn't run around all grumpy.

What you and other in this thread don't get, is that you can have a general distaste for humanity but still be a good person and help others.
Even though there are a few extreme cases who live a secluded life because they can't handle the stress, misanthropy is completely different from the infamous 'emo-culture' and isn't just about the extreme cases.

Btw I guess that the majority of this forum isn't misanthropic for the rest of their life, it is a phase for them because the future looks bleak at the moment, but as soon as it gets better most of them starts to blank out the bad sides of humanity in general.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Metalix Knightmare said:
As a misanthrope, I would say it comes from the knowledge of just how awful people can be. Te economies ruined due to a group's short sighted greed, the bloodshed over philosophies or religion, the various atrocities we've done in the past.

And then looking through the history books and seeing how they were done over, and over, and over again.

And then looking at our more recent history, AND SEEING THOSE SAME MISTAKES MADE ALL OVER AGAIN AS IF THEY NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE! BECAUSE APPARENTLY THE CURRENT IDIOTS THINK THEY CAN DO IT BETTER!!

But what I hate most of all, are the optimists. Those who think that by forcing on a smile things will be alright. That forcing a positive outlook will make you genuinely happy. I find those forced smiles falling straight into the uncanny valley, and optimists in general annoy me.

In other words you, my good sir Retyopy, have not endeared yourself to me with your opening post.
human nature *shrug* BUT we have made progress, theres no denying that

I dont think optimism has to be about "forcing" a fake smile, everyone knows thats not gonna work

I think optimism depends on how you look at things, the world isn;t black or white (as some seem to think) its grey, how dark is the grey? its darker for some, lighter for others, or the old glass half full/half empty analgy, you cant force somone to be happy but somtimes happyness isnt helped by how you see the world

small example http://www.cracked.com/article_19376_5-scientific-reasons-your-idea-happiness-wrong_p2.html

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
BlueMage said:
Nouw said:
It's all about perspective. Also, why is stupidity so looked-down upon? Is it their fault that they're 'stupid' and have sub-par intelligence? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Ultimately, hating on them would only cause them to hate you. You should show compassion and sympathy, not feel a false sense of superiority over them.
False? FALSE?! There's nothing FALSE about my sense of superiority thank you. And I shall look down on them. Stupidity is often analogous to ignorance. There is a cure for ignorance - learning. And this is an opportunity available to practically anyone who seeks it.

But so few do. Worse, they tear down those that do.

THAT is what is worthy of hate.
There is no need for such a reaction. Would you care to reply again in a less aggressive and outraged manner? I often see no point in discussing such a touchy subject if you do not talk in a polite manner. But hopefully you respond to my next post in a calmer tone.

You can not generalize a mass of people. That does not mean what you say is not true, I know many people who reject knowledge and enlightenment. What I mean is that they're not as bad as you perceive them to be. Try and look at them from a different perspective. A perspective of compassion and understanding. Personally, if someone is rejecting such opportunities I'd rather feel sympathy and compassion for them. There is no need to hate people who are trapped in a negative mindset.

But alas, I can not and will not change how you think if you reject it like them.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
I'm only misanthropic in the evening, in the morning I'm too lazy :p.
All jokes aside, it's hard not to hate people sometimes. I maintain a reasonably positive outlook on life, but sometimes even I want to "set the world on fire". That mostly happens when I get hurt by people I tought were my friends. I mostly forgive their "transgressions" and attribute it to my own selfishness, being a loyal, caring, thoughtful puppy dog man that I am. It's a perfect way of allowing it to happen again, in a vicious circle of stupidity. But you know what, fuck it I want my dark side to grow and prosper so I can some day be dark, brooding, mysterious and cool :p

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
CoL0sS said:
All jokes aside, it's hard not to hate people sometimes. I maintain a reasonably positive outlook on life, but sometimes even I want to "set the world on fire". That mostly happens when I get hurt by people I tought were my friends. I mostly forgive their "transgressions" and attribute it to my own selfishness, being a loyal, caring, thoughtful puppy dog man that I am. It's a perfect way of allowing it to happen again, in a vicious circle of stupidity. But you know what, fuck it I want my dark side to grow and prosper so I can some day be dark, brooding, mysterious and cool :p[/B]
Im sure thats how people love to see themselfs...

how I see it? THEY are the worst parts of humanity, lacking empathy, the scum of the earth that would hurt others to fulfill their own self rightiousness, just fucking pathetic

no offence against you of coarse

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Vault101 said:
CoL0sS said:
All jokes aside, it's hard not to hate people sometimes. I maintain a reasonably positive outlook on life, but sometimes even I want to "set the world on fire". That mostly happens when I get hurt by people I tought were my friends. I mostly forgive their "transgressions" and attribute it to my own selfishness, being a loyal, caring, thoughtful puppy dog man that I am. It's a perfect way of allowing it to happen again, in a vicious circle of stupidity. But you know what, fuck it I want my dark side to grow and prosper so I can some day be dark, brooding, mysterious and cool :p[/B]

how I see it? THEY are the worst parts of humanity, lacking empathy, the scum of the earth that would hurt others to fulfill their own self rightiousness, just fucking pathetic

None taken, it was intended as a joke anyway :D
While I hate general lack of empathy and people who don't show any consideration towards others, I've learned to accept it. I see it almost every day, and it still makes me angry. I guess it's a good thing. At least it means i still care (I hope)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Arontala said:
Vault101 said:
CoL0sS said:

*ahem*

Vault101 said:
just want to finally say

fuck you, Im not a bad person, you have no right to judge me.

thanks
Generally, it's not a very good thing when you counter your own arguments.

OT: You cannot force people to be happy, or to change their fundamental principles. Doing so would not be happiness, in any way, shape, or form. Furthermore, how do you know that life is so much better if you look at humanity with a positive outlook? Are you saying that your views are completely objective, and that you know best?

I'm sorry, but that is just utter bullshit, and you're an idiot for saying it.
I dont think its about "forcing people" but some of it is to do with ones perspcective on things....I get the feeling alot of misanthropes havnt had the easyest time...so mabye the problem isnt with humanity..its them?

anyway mabye I was judging, anyway what i ment was, think of the worst people ever, Hitler they did horrible things, but they didnt do horrible things for the sake of being horrbile, they did them for a purpose,

thats what frightens me when people are like "yeah humanity needs to start over" do you think some people would "press the nuke button" if given the chance? and fuck us ALL over...that is pure evil, and what truly scares me