Misanthropes: I don't get you.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
BlueMage said:
Nouw said:
BlueMage said:
Nouw said:
It's all about perspective. Also, why is stupidity so looked-down upon? Is it their fault that they're 'stupid' and have sub-par intelligence? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Ultimately, hating on them would only cause them to hate you. You should show compassion and sympathy, not feel a false sense of superiority over them.
False? FALSE?! There's nothing FALSE about my sense of superiority thank you. And I shall look down on them. Stupidity is often analogous to ignorance. There is a cure for ignorance - learning. And this is an opportunity available to practically anyone who seeks it.

But so few do. Worse, they tear down those that do.

THAT is what is worthy of hate.
There is no need for such a reaction. Would you care to reply again in a less aggressive and outraged manner? I often see no point in discussing such a touchy subject if you do not talk in a polite manner. But hopefully you respond to my next post in a calmer tone.
Dude that was calm. There's this little thing in debating that can often spice up an otherwise placid and slow-paced dialogue, and that's a little thing I call dramatisation. Keeps the conversation interesting to read for others, no?
Fair enough, and I do see where you're coming from but please don't dumb me down. And why are we discussing it? For the amusement of other people or for a good discussion between us two? I honestly couldn't care less if people found our discussion boring if one of us left it with a different mindset. I'd love to leave this with a bit of food-for-thought and so far you have not failed to do so. I can only hope this is the same for you.

BlueMage said:
Nouw said:
You can not generalize a mass of people. That does not mean what you say is not true, I know many people who reject knowledge and enlightenment. What I mean is that they're not as bad as you perceive them to be. Try and look at them from a different perspective. A perspective of compassion and understanding. Personally, if someone is rejecting such opportunities I'd rather feel sympathy and compassion for them. There is no need to hate people who are trapped in a negative mindset.
I can, I will and I've rarely, rarely been proven wrong in such a manner. And when I have, such joy have I known to find one who is not the ignorant fool I originally (mistakenly) took them for.

But so few and far between they are! Why waste kindness and compassion on those that would spit it back in your face? I'd rather be occasionally very pleasantly surprised then frequently bitterly disappointed.
Because if you genuinely feel sympathy and compassion for the ignorant people, then you truly are better than them. Chances are if you have that mindset, you probably don't believe in people being better than others. But that's another discussion in itself. You're the 'bigger man.' The more responsible and mature one. Someone who's caring and has positive energy. Someone who somewhat deserves the title of 'better' as titular as that can be. Emphasis on 'can.' And that last sentence is purely preference. My 2-cents is that: the joy from discovering someone not falling under X category can be turned into another joy. The joy of discovering that everyone can be nice and caring. Although initially this may not seem very practical, but in their world and mindset they may believe they are right. They believe that we're ignorant. That we're assholes, stupid and such. They may think "What gives them the right to change our mindset?" And you know what? From time to time, we should change our thoughts to adapt to their normality. This doesn't mean that they should get their way all the time, disrupting others and getting enjoyment at the expense of said others. But rather accepting some of their small habits. If you want them to change, we should do so as well. Reason with them. Be more mature, instead of sending hate.

And I hope what I'm saying isn't that you should see everyone as a good person. That would be silly. It means to see the better-side of the people you do know. There are 7 billion people on Earth, might as well make the most of the ones you do know. I certainly don't think that random strangers are good people, although in my mindset that would be somewhat pleasant but it would complicate me to much. I think blankly of them and let their first-impression create a loose judgement of them. You can't find out what a person is like just by looking at them, but that doesn't mean you should think either too positively or negatively. You shouldn't suddenly be their best-friend for life or hate them. But of course, stranger=/=people.

BlueMage said:
Nouw said:
But alas, I can not and will not change how you think if you reject it like them.
True enough. But how do you not know that I have already pursued that path, and found it wanting? Sympathy, compassion, these things I have only in finite amounts, and I'd rather spend it on the individuals I know and cherish than the great unwashed who couldn't care less.
Well have you pursued that path already? It would have been nice to tell me from the start. I'm going to write the rest of this assuming you haven't, my apologies if you have.

Sympathy and compassion doesn't have to be strong or the most you have. Once again, this is variable but in this case I don't think it should be. It should simply be light and the first thing that comes to mind when you think of him/her. Let go of your hateful feelings and replace them with either blank or lightly positive ones. But if you really can't be bothered to spend a moment of your time thinking of sympathy and compassion towards people you know are X, I am done here.

Hopefully I've convinced you to think better of 1 person :) And you know what, that's all I'd like to ask of you. I don't mind if you keep on hating people you don't know, believing in your superiority. Because if you genuinely change your mind on 1 person, you will get that warm feeling of pure joy. I'm sure they will too, they probably don't like the hate they get.

I should note that it takes patience and understanding so even I find it hard ;)