Misanthropes: I don't get you.

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
Oh, sure, on a higher level, I do. Humans suck, life is pain, etc. But on a more practical level, you just make no sense to me, and heres why: Life is so much nicer if you have a positive outlook! Just go out into the world, be a nice person, and do something fun. What's the point of hating humanity? Wheres that going to get you?

EXPLAIN YOURSELVES!

TonyVonTonyus

Dec 4, 2010
I'm a misantrope. I hate people because for the most part they're stupid, greedy, backstabbing and annoying. I approached life seeing it differently, it didn't work, now I approach it with the above philosophy. Don't get me wrong, life it...awesome...sometimes but people suck.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
retyopy said:
Oh, sure, on a higher level, I do. Humans suck, life is pain, etc. But on a more practical level, you just make no sense to me, and heres why: Life is so much nicer if you have a positive outlook! Just go out into the world, be a nice person, and do something fun. What's the point of hating humanity? Wheres that going to get you?

EXPLAIN YOURSELVES!
I swear I saw this exact thread about a week ago...

Ok, it's not really exactly the same, but still...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.313619-You-know-what-I-hate-Misanthropes

I'm not really a misanthrope. I'm about the closest thing one can be to a misanthrope without actually hating people. I just don't trust them. Anyone walks up to me and asks me about myself, I'll answer vaguely, because I don't know who the fuck they are, and I don't know why they're talking to me.

Sure, some people out there are perfectly nice, it's just that others are douchebags who have ulterior motives, and those people can fuck off.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
retyopy said:

EXPLAIN YOURSELVES!
You know that misanthropes don't have to be arrogant and can even be altruistic, only the extreme cases live a secluded life - they just kinda despise humans in general for various reasons, like being greedy, destroying the earth etc

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
DCboy17 said:
I hate you.
Wow. I literally laughed out loud. That's hardly ever happened on the forums.

Anyway, I'm in the same boat as the OP, having a negative outlook in life is boring and I think incredibly unproductive in trying to change what you hate about the world.

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
No_Remainders said:
retyopy said:

EXPLAIN YOURSELVES!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.313619-You-know-what-I-hate-Misanthropes

I'm not really a misanthrope. I'm about the closest thing one can be to a misanthrope without actually hating people. I just don't trust them. Anyone walks up to me and asks me about myself, I'll answer vaguely, because I don't know who the fuck they are, and I don't know why they're talking to me.

Sure, some people out there are perfectly nice, it's just that others are douchebags who have ulterior motives, and those people can fuck off.
That person was expressing hatred of misanthropes. I'm expressing my distaste with misanthropes.

DCboy17

Apr 14, 2009
retyopy said:
No_Remainders said:
retyopy said:

EXPLAIN YOURSELVES!

That person was expressing hatred of misanthropes. I'm expressing my distaste with misanthropes.
Isn't it rather redundant to hate misanthropes?

Lord Legion

Feb 26, 2010
DCboy17 said:
I hate you.
hahahahaha, that. was. perfect.

But on topic, I kinda agree with the OP, I have an almost unbreakable positive outlook that shines like the freaking sun... but I do understand. Life isn't always fun.

sosolidshoe

May 17, 2010
You know the whole "positive mental attitude" thing is a crock, yes? They did a study on hospital patients, and found that the people who forced themselves to adopt an externally positive manner as suggested actually did -worse- than when they were being miserable, complaining, grumpy fucks.

Some people have a different outlook on life than you, deal with it.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
retyopy said:

EXPLAIN YOURSELVES!
I don't want to hate anyone, but their actions compel me to do so.

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
DCboy17 said:
retyopy said:
No_Remainders said:
retyopy said:

EXPLAIN YOURSELVES!

Isn't it rather redundant to hate misanthropes?
You just repeated the sentiments of every person on the previous thread.

jmiller1980

Sep 24, 2011
I used to truly hate humans. We are a violent, argumentative, lying, cheating, stealing race of beings that has callously decided to destroy our environment and each other with gleeful zeal. However, one must step back and look at things a bit more carefully before hating. It'll give you pause. For every ten con artists there is a boy scout helping an old woman cross the street (it's a metaphor, you dip.) For every ten drug dealers, someone is helping to build schools in Africa. The fact is that while perhaps 80% of humanity's time is spent in the toilet, the other 20% is spent in betterment. Humans have been around for less than even a cosmic eyeblink and as the cliche goes, Rome was not built in a day. The misanthropic see only the hopelessness of the species. The bombs and murders and rapes and thievery. They make an active choice not to notice the charity and growth and learning and camaraderie. It's sad, but that's their choice and they are free to make it. Humans suck. Right now. Give them another couple hundred years and see where we are then. I for one have come to believe that if the right combinations of things happen, humanity has a very bright future indeed.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
DCboy17 said:
I hate you.
Aww, i love you too :D

OT: I've never quite understood them either. I may be sceptical to certain aspects of human behavior, but that doesn't mean i hate them. In fact i think you could say i love people because they are really interesting [in most cases]. (Aspiring psychologist here ^_^) But i think some of the reason is too much disappointment or sadness caused by other people earlier in life.

I see a misanthrope as one who has given up on humanity for that very reason. That's where i disagree though, because i firmly believe that no two people are exactly alike, so giving up on an entire species just because of some unfortunate examples seems very odd to me.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
It is based around a core principle: humanity sucks and is full of total arseholes who want nothing more than step on you to get what they want like the selfish pricks they all are, or they just want to hurt you for no reason.

It sounds dumb but when you are one it all makes perfect sense. I know, I used to be one.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
It's not necessarily a matter of choice, some people are just built that way. Don't get me wrong, you can force yourself to be different (fuck knows I do that 24/7, I'm not sure anymore if deep down I'm a misanthrope or an absolute optimist), but... the problem is that the more positive outlook you force yourself to have on life, the more miserable you are when someone/something proves to you you were an idiot to expect more from them/it.

Lowering expectations - works here AND on dates! (cookie for reference)

DCboy17 said:
I hate you.
<3. Hope you don't get a low content post warning, that was awesome :p

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
ReservoirAngel said:
It is based around a core principle: humanity sucks and is full of total arseholes who want nothing more than step on you to get what they want like the selfish pricks they all are, or they just want to hurt you for no reason.

It sounds dumb but when you are one it all makes perfect sense. I know, I used to be one.
Used to? Explain. Please?

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
Vrach said:
It's not necessarily a matter of choice, some people are just built that way. Don't get me wrong, you can force yourself to be different (fuck knows I do that 24/7, I'm not sure anymore if deep down I'm a misanthrope or an absolute optimist), but... the problem is that the more positive outlook you force yourself to have on life, the more miserable you are when someone/something proves to you you were an idiot to expect more from them/it.

Lowering expectations - works here AND on dates! (cookie for reference)

DCboy17 said:
I hate you.
<3. Hope you don't get a low content post warning, that was awesome :p
I don't think you can get a low content warning for 3 words.