Miscellaneous Fallout 4 Questions.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Just some stuff that I've been wondering about:

- Is there any point or reward to the base building stuff?
I did what was required for the building tutorial mission, then just dropped it. It feels like Minecraft to me: amazing possibilities but no reason to actually enact them.

- Do companions give you more than one quest each?
I tried the Minuteman guy, but he was a do-gooder who kept pouting every time I stole some unattended drugs or demanded payment for risking life and limb. Then I tried the reporter lass, who had a more flexible attitude towards property laws but still objected to my mercenary ways. Eventually ended up with Cait. Finally, someone who appreciates theft, sarcasm and drug-fueled rampages. Stuck with her long enough to get a quest from her. (Haven't done it yet because it's clean across the map.) Will there be more after that or would I be better served trying to make nice with one of the others?

- Does Codsworth give you a quest at all?

- Where can I find Dogmeat after using another companion?
He isn't at the settlement I sent him to, nor at the spot I first found him. Is there somewhere in particular he goes when you dismiss him?

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Zhukov said:
In order.

-I do not believe so. MacCready would be someone else who suits your play style if you want to switch, literally to the word. He is merc that approves of stealing, working for caps, and lockpicking your way to success.

-Every companion besides Dogmeat has a quest.

-I hate to break this to you Zhukov, you won't be seeing Dogmeat again. H... He's lost in that big, vast wasteland. Same thing happened to me on my first character. I got tired of Dogmeat getting in the fucking way every second, so I told him to go to Sanctuary Hills... never saw him again. I'd suggest dismissing your followers in the settlement you plan to send them to, less chance for the dum dums to get lost. Just to give you a heads up, the game says you need him to progress in the story, but I'm sure you can still find the building he leads you to normally as well.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Elfgore said:
Just to give you a heads up, the game says you need him to progress in the story, but I'm sure you can still find the building he leads you to normally as well.
You do need Dogmeat to progress in the story, but he'll automatically show up when you need him. It's not like you're stuck if you sent him somewhere and can't find him.

Elfgore

Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
SlumlordThanatos said:
Elfgore said:
Just to give you a heads up, the game says you need him to progress in the story, but I'm sure you can still find the building he leads you to normally as well.
You do need Dogmeat to progress in the story, but he'll automatically show up when you need him. It's not like you're stuck if you sent him somewhere and can't find him.
The bastard of a dog never showed up for my play-through. It's Bethesda, chances are he glitched into Oblivion and was not planning on returning.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Zhukov said:
- Where can I find Dogmeat after using another companion?
He isn't at the settlement I sent him to, nor at the spot I first found him. Is there somewhere in particular he goes when you dismiss him?
Try checking for dog houses in whatever settlement you sent him to. I thought I lost him too when I sent him to Sanctuary Hill and couldn't find him anywhere after that. Then a while later I found him near a dog house in one of the back yards.
Zhukov said:
I did what was required for the building tutorial mission, then just dropped it. It feels like Minecraft to me: amazing possibilities but no reason to actually enact them.
Settlers will give you stuff if you go talk to them. So the more settlers you have, the more stuff you can get. Not much, but it's there. Also, certain constructions will give you items, too. None seem too important at face value, but there are ways they can come in extremely handy. For example; You like adhesive? Ofcourse you do, because it's the one component you're always missing when modding weapons and gear. There is way to get a steady supply of it by building a Water Purifier, which obviously gives you purified water regularly (it gets placed in your Workshop). And by growing mutfruit, corn, and tatoes (which need settlers to tend to them) you can use those in combination with the purified water to make vegetable starch at a cooking station, which if broken down gives you 5 adhesives.

EDIT. I tried other companions, but they were constantly giving unneeded advice and judgement, so I'm just sticking with Dogmeat.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Zhukov said:

One functional base is all you really want or need from a logistics standpoint. And you get that anyway via Diamond City.

The quest chain surrounding getting new settlements, and building the settlements themselves, gives you an avalanche of experience points, though. If you don't actively hate the game play, it can be worth your time.

Zhukov said:
Do companions give you more than one quest each?
No idea. I hate companions. Dogmeat won't stop barking when I tell him to hold position, and the first time I went somewhere with Piper I snuck through the door and she followed me shouting "HELLO? ANYONE HERE? SURE IS QUIET!". The game is trolling me.

Zhukov said:
Where can I find Dogmeat after using another companion?

I built a doghouse at the Castle, and that's where I sent him when I picked up Piper, and sure enough that's where he was. Possible he's at a doghouse somewhere on the property, and/or your game bugged out. That these are equal possibilities is rather sad.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
No idea. I hate companions. Dogmeat won't stop barking when I tell him to hold position, and the first time I went somewhere with Piper I snuck through the door and she followed me shouting "HELLO? ANYONE HERE? SURE IS QUIET!". The game is trolling me.
I got to a hallway filled from top to bottom with like a hundred laser sensors, that I decided on deactivating one at a time. Then Dogmeat just runs right into the middle of them and gets blasted by three laser turrets. He's an idiot, but I simply need his inventory space.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
I got to a hallway filled from top to bottom with like a hundred laser sensors, that I decided on deactivating one at a time. Then Dogmeat just runs right into the middle of them and gets blasted by three laser turrets. He's an idiot, but I simply need his inventory space.
Is this you?

http://imgur.com/gallery/6Z9PbRq

I didn't even realize the dog HAD inventory space. How much can he carry? Where is he carrying it?

Since he doesn't count as a companion for the lone wanderer perk, I presumed the punishment was you couldn't use him as a pack mule.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Elfgore said:
-I hate to break this to you Zhukov, you won't be seeing Dogmeat again. H... He's lost in that big, vast wasteland.
Aaaaactually... I just found him. The other folks in this thread had it right. He was chilling in a doghouse at the very edge of Sanctuary.

BloatedGuppy said:
I was expecting to hate them. I've hated them in every other Fallout game, even the old ones. (Remember Ian and his love of automatic weapons, friendly fire be damned?)

But this time around they're alright. Having Dogmeat pin enemies was fun and came with some nifty animations. Equipping Cait with a juiced up power fist was a good time too.

My major complaint is that they seem to have their own stealth stats rather than being tied to yours. So they can break stealth, and they will. All the fucking time. That and block you in doorways.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Zhukov said:
My major complaint is that they seem to have their own stealth stats rather than being tied to yours. So they can break stealth, and they will. All the fucking time. That and block you in doorways.
Yep, that's what kills me. I play a sneaky game. Max sneak, max sniper, very slowly and deliberately ghost through areas taking everyone down without making any noise or springing any alarms. Hard to do when your immortal German Shepard goes charging into every area barking and setting off mines, then loops back to you with a conga line of raiders and super mutants in tow. "Dogmeat has found an enemy". Yes. Yes he has.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
Casual Shinji said:
Is this you?

http://imgur.com/gallery/6Z9PbRq
No, but it's good to see I wasn't the only one. XD

I didn't even realize the dog HAD inventory space. How much can he carry? Where is he carrying it?

Since he doesn't count as a companion for the lone wanderer perk, I presumed the punishment was you couldn't use him as a pack mule.
I don't know how much he has, I just fill 'm up till he won't take no more. He can carry quite a lot though.

You can even gave him apparel. Mine's wearing goggles, a muzzle, armor, and a neckerchief -- He looks like a total nerd.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
BloatedGuppy said:
Zhukov said:
Yep, that's what kills me. I play a sneaky game. Max sneak, max sniper, very slowly and deliberately ghost through areas taking everyone down without making any noise or springing any alarms. Hard to do when your immortal German Shepard goes charging into every area barking and setting off mines, then loops back to you with a conga line of raiders and super mutants in tow. "Dogmeat has found an enemy". Yes. Yes he has.
I have the opposite issue, the dog just doesn't have enough firepower for my build, I like to load my companions down with heavy weapons to swap for depending on the situation, and tend to give them spare grenades and molotovs since they'll throw them in a fight if they have them.

Then again, my build focuses mostly on my customized power armor and crafting weapons, so my usual strategy is to jetpack stomp into an area with a minigun, automatic plasma rifle, and rocket launcher, tossing mininukes and plasma grenades with wild abandon and then ejecting my power core to engulf the entire area in a nuclear mushroom cloud. When you get the perk that lets you not damage companions with friendly fire it just turns into a contest to see which one of us can blow the most stuff up, with max scrounger I've been giving my companions custom modded weapons and a thousand rounds of ammo and just let them cut through stuff while I snipe with a heat seeking rocket launcher.

The only downside is that it can be hard to find all the loot after its been thrown around by constant explosions.

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
Can I find out exactly how many rads I've accumulated? I'm not seeing it anywhere on stats. I'd just like to know so that I don't waste Rad-Away.

Also I'm trying to hotkey clothing items like in FO3/NV, but while pushing the hotkey results in equipping said clothing slot, pressing it again doesn't unequip it. The same goes for weapons.

Related to the question above, is there any way to make macros? Besides being able to equip 'outfits', I'd also like one for hiding the HUD to make screenshots easier.

Elfgore

Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Question for ya'll. Has everyone else had a tough time finding duct tape and other adhesive stuff? The game and several other players seem to make it sound like this shit is rare as hell. Yet I'm drowning in all of the wonderglue and duct tape I've found.

FrozenLaughs

Sep 9, 2013
RedRockRun said:
Can I find out exactly how many rads I've accumulated? I'm not seeing it anywhere on stats. I'd just like to know so that I don't waste Rad-Away.

Also I'm trying to hotkey clothing items like in FO3/NV, but while pushing the hotkey results in equipping said clothing slot, pressing it again doesn't unequip it. The same goes for weapons.

Related to the question above, is there any way to make macros? Besides being able to equip 'outfits', I'd also like one for hiding the HUD to make screenshots easier.
You have a rad meter on the edge of your pip boy screen. I've discovered tapping the touchpad (on ps4,don't know what button it is on others) zooms the pip boy in and out and if you're zoomed in you can miss the meter. It appears to cap out at 1000 rads, with the red zone being in the 600-700 range, so about 1/3 of the meter is ~300

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
Elfgore said:
Question for ya'll. Has everyone else had a tough time finding duct tape and other adhesive stuff? The game and several other players seem to make it sound like this shit is rare as hell. Yet I'm drowning in all of the wonderglue and duct tape I've found.
It is supposedly rare. But even on hard I find it all the time... Luck probably plays a factor and people not picking up duct tape all the time because it was near worthless in 3 and NV