Miscellaneous Fallout 4 Questions.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Fox12 said:
My question is about the the defenses. Does anyone ever raid your settlements?
Yes, your settlements can come under attack off-screen. You'll be notified of it via an objective in the Misc section of your quest journal.

However, settlements with no people in them don't appear to ever come under attack (this could be wrong though; more testing is needed here). And also, settlements with a high 'defense' stat don't get attacked either.
So yeah, setting up turrets everywhere does help, insofar as it prevents the settlement from being attacked (or vastly lowers the likelihood of an attack happening, rather).

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Corey Schaff said:
IceForce said:
Fox12 said:
Yes, your settlements can come under attack off-screen. You'll be notified of it via an objective in the Misc section of your quest journal.

However, settlements with no people in them don't appear to ever come under attack (this could be wrong though; more testing is needed here). And also, settlements with a high 'defense' stat don't get attacked either.
So yeah, setting up turrets everywhere does help, insofar as it prevents the settlement from being attacked (or vastly lowers the likelihood of an attack happening, rather).
From your experience, is it like Spore's Alien Attacks or Ecological Disasters, where they have no chance of resolving themselves successfully without your direct involvement, or are you able to ignore a request for help without it resulting in coming back to a ghost town?
I ignored it. After some time passes (maybe an in-game day or two, I just forget how much time had passed for me) the objective pops up again as 'failed'.
I've been told that it's possible to lose a settlement altogether that way (forcing you to retake it again via a radiant quest), but that didn't happen with me. I think the number of people there may've gone down by 1, but I'm not 100% sure on that as I didn't pay attention to the population stat prior to the attack.

FrozenLaughs

Sep 9, 2013
My question is, after completing the quest with Paladin Danse, the reward is to return to him and join the BoS. You can't turn in the quest without agreeing, but when you investigate his offer further he specifically says you'll do:

"no more mercenary work, this is the real deal"

Is that implying I'll lose access to certain quests/storylines, or is he just being a typical BoS blowhard? I wandered around and found that quest relatively early in the game (lvl 8 or so) and don't want to miss out on other events if I join.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
when you assign someone to a supply line, can they be killed and it cuts the supply line?

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
FrozenLaughs said:
My question is, after completing the quest with Paladin Danse, the reward is to return to him and join the BoS. You can't turn in the quest without agreeing, but when you investigate his offer further he specifically says you'll do:

"no more mercenary work, this is the real deal"

Is that implying I'll lose access to certain quests/storylines, or is he just being a typical BoS blowhard? I wandered around and found that quest relatively early in the game (lvl 8 or so) and don't want to miss out on other events if I join.
Blow Hard.

Later in the game, the BoS gets more involved then just having Danse run around, so saying yes or no will affect some events, but as far as I know, it wont affect how you play everything else.

EDIT: Also, what he means is no more mercenary work for him. Which is silly, because even once you say yes, they still throw caps at you for doing stuff.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
EternallyBored said:
I have the opposite issue, the dog just doesn't have enough firepower for my build, I like to load my companions down with heavy weapons to swap for depending on the situation, and tend to give them spare grenades and molotovs since they'll throw them in a fight if they have them.

Then again, my build focuses mostly on my customized power armor and crafting weapons, so my usual strategy is to jetpack stomp into an area with a minigun, automatic plasma rifle, and rocket launcher, tossing mininukes and plasma grenades with wild abandon and then ejecting my power core to engulf the entire area in a nuclear mushroom cloud. When you get the perk that lets you not damage companions with friendly fire it just turns into a contest to see which one of us can blow the most stuff up, with max scrounger I've been giving my companions custom modded weapons and a thousand rounds of ammo and just let them cut through stuff while I snipe with a heat seeking rocket launcher.

The only downside is that it can be hard to find all the loot after its been thrown around by constant explosions.
You sir, have in one post convinced me i need this game in my life! My thanks to you :D

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
EDIT: Also, what he means is no more mercenary work for him. Which is silly, because even once you say yes, they still throw caps at you for doing stuff.
This is sort of "justified" when you talk to Proctor Teagan, who explains that Brotherhood members have to pay for their own supplies because "scarcity". It isn't exactly a great explanation, but it puts the caps rewards from the BoS in perspective.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
IceForce said:
Corey Schaff said:
IceForce said:
Fox12 said:

From your experience, is it like Spore's Alien Attacks or Ecological Disasters, where they have no chance of resolving themselves successfully without your direct involvement, or are you able to ignore a request for help without it resulting in coming back to a ghost town?
I ignored it. After some time passes (maybe an in-game day or two, I just forget how much time had passed for me) the objective pops up again as 'failed'.
I've been told that it's possible to lose a settlement altogether that way (forcing you to retake it again via a radiant quest), but that didn't happen with me. I think the number of people there may've gone down by 1, but I'm not 100% sure on that as I didn't pay attention to the population stat prior to the attack.
Just adding some more info from my experience!

A high defense stat definitely lowers the chance but it can still get raided, and the higher the defense stat the bigger the attack in my experience.

My sanctuary has 117 defense (only 22 settlers, around 30 food and water) and it got attacked by 8 legendary super mutants. The turrets and townsfolk seemed to have it under control when I got there and I probably didn't need to step in.. they did kill my junkyard dog though (the one you can buy off a merchant, not dogmeat).

My red rocket garage defended itself without my intervention, I failed the quest but nothing was destroyed/no settlers killed.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Dalek Caan said:
Happyninja42 said:
Random question. Does anyone know how to, in the settlement building stuff, to string up a series of bulbs directly to a cord or wire? I've seen examples of it on various in game structures, where the bulbs are glowing, and are hanging from wires, strung up along a building. But I don't know how to accomplish that, if you even can. Does anyone know how this works?

capcha: construction ahead Why yes, lots of annoying fiddly construction.
For light sources you just need a source of power to be nearby for them to light up. So hanging a bunch of conductors along your wall with copper wire running between them should light most of them up. Any that don't might need to be moved around.
No, I am aware on how to make them light up, that's not my question. My question is how (if at all), can you string up a series of lights that are hanging from a wire? Like christmas lights for example. I have seen examples of it in the game, but I have yet to see how to do it with the builder system.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Corey Schaff said:
No idea what's going on with caps on the east coast. It'd make more sense if the currency were Bullets or something since there's no real organized government or merchant organization maintaining confidence in the currency.
I think it, like many other things in Bethesda's Fallout games, is meant to pay both homage to the old games and because it is one of those things that "are Fallout" (never mind that Fallout 2 actually used "money" instead of "caps" for currency, complete with a picture of gold coins). Just like the over-abundance of Super Mutants and many other small things it works until you start thinking about it, at which point the entire Fallout East Coast feels more like a finely set playground then an actually believable game world.

It is one of those things that makes New Vegas into such a treat for those of us who are long time fans, I suppose. Obsidian, and Avellone in particular, has the ability to make interesting worlds that also come together with explanations for all those things that you see. The Water Merchant and Caps explanation is just one such example, it is something Bethesda still hasn't learned or cared much to implement.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Happyninja42 said:
Dalek Caan said:
Happyninja42 said:
Random question. Does anyone know how to, in the settlement building stuff, to string up a series of bulbs directly to a cord or wire? I've seen examples of it on various in game structures, where the bulbs are glowing, and are hanging from wires, strung up along a building. But I don't know how to accomplish that, if you even can. Does anyone know how this works?

capcha: construction ahead Why yes, lots of annoying fiddly construction.
For light sources you just need a source of power to be nearby for them to light up. So hanging a bunch of conductors along your wall with copper wire running between them should light most of them up. Any that don't might need to be moved around.
No, I am aware on how to make them light up, that's not my question. My question is how (if at all), can you string up a series of lights that are hanging from a wire? Like christmas lights for example. I have seen examples of it in the game, but I have yet to see how to do it with the builder system.
i would assume thats in the GECK construction kit they made the game with rather than the builder

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
pookie101 said:
i would assume thats in the GECK construction kit they made the game with rather than the builder
Well crap.

Different question: This might seem simple but if you trade with your settlers and equip them with long range weapons, would they be able to snipe enemies attacking the settlements? Because I just thought of building some sniper towers, and assigning my town guards up there, but giving them some crazy good sniper rifles while I'm at it. Is this at all practical? Or do they just use whatever default weapon they've been assigned and that's it?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
IceForce said:
So, how are people finding the stealth? Because for me personally, it seems that Sneak is wayyy overpowered (much like it was in Skyrim). Once you put a few ranks into the Sneak perk, you're pretty much undetectable (with the only exceptions being if you're sneaking outside during the day in broad daylight, or if you're trying to hide from a flying enemy such as a Vertibird). Stealth Boys aren't even needed.

I'm not wearing power armor, though. I imagine stomping around in that getup like a Big Daddy would rather hamper your efforts at stealth. (I could be wrong, though.)
Bit of a mixed bag.

Forcing you to use the fucking walk button in order to sneak before level 23 was a terrible idea. Makes you patience-taxingly slow and it's very annoying when you get spotted anyway and have to scramble to both un-sneak and un-walk.

I found trying to stealth with a melee weapon to be very unreliable. Even after nearly maxing the stealth perk enemies would often detect me with relative ease. Plus the enemy placement and movement isn't really accommodating. Lastly, some of the kill animations actually cause the enemy you're hitting to go on alert as if they'd seen you, even if you're hitting them behind while in the [hidden] state, which in turn alerts every other nearby enemy.

On the other hand, silenced guns are hilariously overpowered. Imagine a semi-automatic bow in Skyrim. I got stealth perk, the ninja perk and the sandman perk and stocked up on psychojet. I use a silenced 10mm pistol to clear rooms with zero effort and zero return fire.

EDIT: Oh, and as I mentioned earlier in the thread, having a companion along can make stealth a real chore since even if enemies don't spot you they sure as shit will spot you companions. Especially when a few of them can't sneak at all.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Zhukov said:
IceForce said:
So, how are people finding the stealth? Because for me personally, it seems that Sneak is wayyy overpowered (much like it was in Skyrim). Once you put a few ranks into the Sneak perk, you're pretty much undetectable (with the only exceptions being if you're sneaking outside during the day in broad daylight, or if you're trying to hide from a flying enemy such as a Vertibird). Stealth Boys aren't even needed.

I'm not wearing power armor, though. I imagine stomping around in that getup like a Big Daddy would rather hamper your efforts at stealth. (I could be wrong, though.)
Bit of a mixed bag.

Forcing you to use the fucking walk button in order to sneak before level 23 was a terrible idea. Makes you patience-taxingly slow and it's very annoying when you get spotted anyway and have to scramble to both un-sneak and un-walk.

I found trying to stealth with a melee weapon to be very unreliable. Even after nearly maxing the stealth perk enemies would often detect me with relative ease. Plus the enemy placement and movement isn't really accommodating. Lastly, some of the kill animations actually cause the enemy you're hitting to go on alert as if they'd seen you, even if you're hitting them behind while in the [hidden] state, which in turn alerts every other nearby enemy.

On the other hand, silenced guns are hilariously overpowered. Imagine a semi-automatic bow in Skyrim. I got stealth perk, the ninja perk and the sandman perk and stocked up on psychojet. I use a silenced 10mm pistol to clear rooms with zero effort and zero return fire.
Interesting that you are being spotted. It might be that you don't have Shadowed/Muffled armor on? I'm at...i think 3, maybe 4 ranks in the Stealth perk, and that plus my gear has it where enemies will literally bump into me and I will still only be in caution.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Happyninja42 said:
Zhukov said:
Interesting that you are being spotted. It might be that you don't have Shadowed/Muffled armor on? I'm at...i think 3, maybe 4 ranks in the Stealth perk, and that plus my gear has it where enemies will literally bump into me and I will still only be in caution.
Nah, I'm running a full set of shadowed and muffled armour (leather arms and metal legs).

I'm playing on max difficulty though. That might be a factor, although it doesn't mention it in the settings. Says it just affects damage values and health recovery time.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Zhukov said:
I got stealth perk, the ninja perk and the sandman perk and stocked up on psychojet. I use a silenced 10mm pistol to clear rooms with zero effort and zero return fire.
Heh, that's exactly my build. Which is what led me to wonder if stealth was just overpowered in general or whatever.

Anyway, it's the same 10mm pistol I started the game with, just heavily modded. I should probably have given it some nifty name by now...