Miscellaneous Fallout 4 Questions.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
XT6Wagon said:
Base Building is insane XP for the effort required.
i got my 14th level by building a 5 story building and a buch of flying turrets

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Zhukov said:
Just some stuff that I've been wondering about:

- Is there any point or reward to the base building stuff?
I did what was required for the building tutorial mission, then just dropped it. It feels like Minecraft to me: amazing possibilities but no reason to actually enact them.

- Do companions give you more than one quest each?
I tried the Minuteman guy, but he was a do-gooder who kept pouting every time I stole some unattended drugs or demanded payment for risking life and limb. Then I tried the reporter lass, who had a more flexible attitude towards property laws but still objected to my mercenary ways. Eventually ended up with Cait. Finally, someone who appreciates theft, sarcasm and drug-fueled rampages. Stuck with her long enough to get a quest from her. (Haven't done it yet because it's clean across the map.) Will there be more after that or would I be better served trying to make nice with one of the others?

- Does Codsworth give you a quest at all?

?
One point of base building, assuming you have gone some distance into the Minutemen chains ( which does not interfere with any other factions) is Artilery. The Artilery is not limited to just The Castle. By putting it in all of your settlements you can blanket the entire map with coverage. Of course this assumes that the Artilery is useful for anything besides laughs and blowing yourself. Up more spectacularly than simply with grenades.

Each companion technically has a quest chain. But some are really really minor. Such as Pipers Interview. Strongs quest is actually before he joins you where you rescue him. Codesworth's is that opening sequence where you search Sanctuary. Some others such as Valentine and Curie are much more complex. Hancock and Dogmeat don't really have quests themselves, but rather interweave substantially in other freestanding quests.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
So been doing a melee character on my second run-through, has anyone found a particular ultimate melee weapon?

I'm currently using Kremvh's Tooth for most cases, and General Chao's Revenge for robots (who are immune to Kremvh's poison, and the damage is higher with the 2x). Occasionally a Super Sledge, though the slow weapons I've found get interrupted by enemy hits too often.

The radiation sword I guess I just found way too late as its drastically weaker, and the Shiskebab just seems disappointingly ineffective despite having higher damage on paper (I think its because on my other character with Awareness, I noticed everything seems to have higher energy resist then ballistic, and the incendiary effect seems to rarely go off.

XT6Wagon

Sep 8, 2014
Seth Carter said:
So been doing a melee character on my second run-through, has anyone found a particular ultimate melee weapon?

I'm currently using Kremvh's Tooth for most cases, and General Chao's Revenge for robots (who are immune to Kremvh's poison, and the damage is higher with the 2x). Occasionally a Super Sledge, though the slow weapons I've found get interrupted by enemy hits too often.

The radiation sword I guess I just found way too late as its drastically weaker, and the Shiskebab just seems disappointingly ineffective despite having higher damage on paper (I think its because on my other character with Awareness, I noticed everything seems to have higher energy resist then ballistic, and the incendiary effect seems to rarely go off.
Try the Barbarian Axe. I haven't used it myself, but companions start killing stuff before I can even put a shot in them for the XP.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
XT6Wagon said:
Seth Carter said:

Try the Barbarian Axe. I haven't used it myself, but companions start killing stuff before I can even put a shot in them for the XP.
Pickman's Blade is also pretty good. It has a double bleed effect on it; one from the stealth blade attachment, and one from the legendary effect.

Not sure if it's an oversight or not, but the bleed effect applies to everything, including things that can't 'bleed', like robots.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Gethsemani said:
Corey Schaff said:
No idea what's going on with caps on the east coast. It'd make more sense if the currency were Bullets or something since there's no real organized government or merchant organization maintaining confidence in the currency.
I think it, like many other things in Bethesda's Fallout games, is meant to pay both homage to the old games and because it is one of those things that "are Fallout" (never mind that Fallout 2 actually used "money" instead of "caps" for currency, complete with a picture of gold coins). Just like the over-abundance of Super Mutants and many other small things it works until you start thinking about it, at which point the entire Fallout East Coast feels more like a finely set playground then an actually believable game world.

It is one of those things that makes New Vegas into such a treat for those of us who are long time fans, I suppose. Obsidian, and Avellone in particular, has the ability to make interesting worlds that also come together with explanations for all those things that you see. The Water Merchant and Caps explanation is just one such example, it is something Bethesda still hasn't learned or cared much to implement.
I agree the caps are dumb and not thought out like in New Vegas. Diamond city is slightly more organised than either Megaton or Rivet City, so I guess it could be backed by them, but still it's weak. There was also a provisional government that the Minutemen supported which collapsed in their decline, so some holdover from them possibly. But there's nothing to tie to the value of a cap to make it worth something.
Are neither from the Capital Wasteland or remnants of the Master's Army, they are humans kidnapped by the institute experimented on with FEV and released, sometimes after replacing by a Synth. Presumably they kidnap and replicate their numbers like the Capital Wastelands one's did too

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
WolfThomas said:
Are neither from the Capital Wasteland or remnants of the Master's Army, they are humans kidnapped by the institute experimented on with FEV and released, sometimes after replacing by a Synth. Presumably they kidnap and replicate their numbers like the Capital Wastelands one's did too
I know how Fo4 justifies its' super mutants, the problem is that the entire idea doesn't make a lick of sense. Fallout 1 was rather specific about how West-Tec (the Glow) was the original place of research for FEV, but that Mariposa Military Base became the new location after the Government raised concerns about doing the research in a non-military facility. It was the nuke that destroyed West-Tec that scattered FEV into the air and caused the Ghouls/Radscorpions/Deathclaws and what not to mutate. Fallout 2 makes it even more explicit that Mariposa was the only place for FEV research prior to the proto-BoS mutiny that ended the research, when you find logs that indicate the Enclave was ready to sacrifice a whole lot of manpower to get to the remaining FEV in Mariposa, despite most of Mariposa being ruins and the extreme resistance they met from mutated critters.

Fallout 3 then says that Vault 87 also experimented in FEV. Sort of fine, maybe. It can sort of be retconned by imagining that the Enclave wanted to ensure continued FEV research post-war and didn't believe Mariposa would be able to do it. It isn't perfect but it works. But Fallout 4? Are we seriously supposed to believe that either a) a non-Enclave backed civilian organization got their hands on FEV prior to the war or that b) the isolated, isolationist Institute somehow found records of FEV research, then found out where it was being done and then sent a gazillion or so Synths to secure FEV samples from Vault 87? The same Insitute which Father laments is constantly short on resources.

And exactly how are the Super Mutants in the Commonwealth making more mutants? If they are the byproduct of Institute experiments they have no access to any FEV, which means no dipping. If they come from Vault 87, do they make week long trek with prisoners just to dip them?

I get that Bethesda feels that Super Mutants is part of what makes Fallout Fallout, just like caps and the exaggerated Americana the game satirizes. For us lore hounds the Institute explanation just isn't very good. It doesn't make the game bad or anything, I just sort of disconnect Fallout 4 from 1/2/NV in my head. All the half-assed explanations and cop outs in Fallout 4 just add up to create a lore mess that the lore hound in me just can't cope with.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
IceForce said:
XT6Wagon said:
Seth Carter said:

Pickman's Blade is also pretty good. It has a double bleed effect on it; one from the stealth blade attachment, and one from the legendary effect.

Not sure if it's an oversight or not, but the bleed effect applies to everything, including things that can't 'bleed', like robots.
those are all good choices but they dont hold anything to the beauty of the 2076 world series baseball bat. its slow, but has a knock back effect that occasionally activates that hits the victim for a home run.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=593657006

the flying ghoul in the photo was on his way down after a 300ft hit. i dont care if there are more damaging weapons in the game, there is simply nothing more fun :)

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Gethsemani said:
I know how Fo4 justifies its' super mutants, the problem is that the entire idea doesn't make a lick of sense. Fallout 1 was rather specific about how West-Tec (the Glow) was the original place of research for FEV, but that Mariposa Military Base became the new location after the Government raised concerns about doing the research in a non-military facility. It was the nuke that destroyed West-Tec that scattered FEV into the air and caused the Ghouls/Radscorpions/Deathclaws and what not to mutate. Fallout 2 makes it even more explicit that Mariposa was the only place for FEV research prior to the proto-BoS mutiny that ended the research, when you find logs that indicate the Enclave was ready to sacrifice a whole lot of manpower to get to the remaining FEV in Mariposa, despite most of Mariposa being ruins and the extreme resistance they met from mutated critters.

Fallout 3 then says that Vault 87 also experimented in FEV. Sort of fine, maybe. It can sort of be retconned by imagining that the Enclave wanted to ensure continued FEV research post-war and didn't believe Mariposa would be able to do it. It isn't perfect but it works. But Fallout 4? Are we seriously supposed to believe that either a) a non-Enclave backed civilian organization got their hands on FEV prior to the war or that b) the isolated, isolationist Institute somehow found records of FEV research, then found out where it was being done and then sent a gazillion or so Synths to secure FEV samples from Vault 87? The same Insitute which Father laments is constantly short on resources.

And exactly how are the Super Mutants in the Commonwealth making more mutants? If they are the byproduct of Institute experiments they have no access to any FEV, which means no dipping. If they come from Vault 87, do they make week long trek with prisoners just to dip them?

I get that Bethesda feels that Super Mutants is part of what makes Fallout Fallout, just like caps and the exaggerated Americana the game satirizes. For us lore hounds the Institute explanation just isn't very good. It doesn't make the game bad or anything, I just sort of disconnect Fallout 4 from 1/2/NV in my head. All the half-assed explanations and cop outs in Fallout 4 just add up to create a lore mess that the lore hound in me just can't cope with.
I agree. It's still rather poorly implemented explanation.

I'd really like to see a Fallout game where Super mutants and Ghouls had become rare, the last of two infertile not reproducing species. Meeting one would be like "Woah I heard legends of your kind" with some new monster or species to be an enemy (?Inteligent Deathclaws, something like the Beastlords or Reavers from tactics?)