Misconceptions you hate!

NiceLord

Apr 5, 2010
-That only Xbox 360 and PS3 have "real" games.
-Wii is for kids.
-WOW was the first MMO.
-If you play video games you must play WOW.

s0denone

Apr 25, 2008
NiceLord said:
-That only Xbox 360 and PS3 have "real" games.
-Wii is for kids.
-WOW was the first MMO.
-If you play video games you must play WOW.
¨

I'm sorry for going off on you here, but:
1. The "Wii" is a gimmick party "console". It is for "casual gamers", a crowd so big that PS3 and XBOX 360 eventually got their own gimmick to try and take some of all that money.
2. The Wii is marketed almost exclusively to "casual gamers" and almost exclusively carries "casual games". "Casual Gamers" include kids, and the Wii I'd wager has way more "kids"(You know, the kind not even old enough to trashtalk you on Xbox Live) than the other two consoles.
3. WOW is the first (and so far only, Guildwars barely missing out) overly successfull MMO. Obviously some "Casual gamers" or simply people not into games/gaming at all will know it by name, without knowing out MMOs, and come to this conclusion. If you are riled up over this, you should look inward, and be happy that you do not have bigger problems.
4. Ok, I've never heard that one before --- I don't doubt that you have, and I would certainly also respond with a mixture of annoyance and disbelief if such was ever presented to me.

Dec 9, 2009
That science and religion, or maybe more specifically spirituality, are mutually exclusive. That one bothers me quite a bit. 'Oh religion, people just created that to explain everything that they themselves couldn't give an explanation for. Now that we have science we know everything so obviously religion can just go away it's just so silly after all.'

s0denone

Apr 25, 2008
Sir Rammington Steel said:
That science and religion, or maybe more specifically spirituality, are mutually exclusive. That one bothers me quite a bit. 'Oh religion, people just created that to explain everything that they themselves couldn't give an explanation for. Now that we have science we know everything so obviously religion can just go away it's just so silly after all.'
So you disapprove of atheism? Or what is your point here?

Dec 9, 2009
s0denone said:
Not at all. It just bother me when people throw the science card at religion. It just doesn't work. You can't use science to prove religion or disprove it. They exist in entirely different realms. I just annoys me when people laugh at religion from behind the guise of science.

s0denone

Apr 25, 2008
s0denone said:
Not at all. It just bother me when people throw the science card at religion. It just doesn't work. You can't use science to prove religion or disprove it. They exist in entirely different realms. I just annoys me when people laugh at religion from behind the guise of science.
Look at your quote then. I mean, the quote of the "misconception".
'Oh religion, people just created that to explain everything that they themselves couldn't give an explanation for. Now that we have science we know everything so obviously religion can just go away it's just so silly after all.'
That is basically atheism.
Atheism was created as an answer to religion, it is combatant with the concept of god and religion as a whole in it's very nature. Atheism is the idea that there simply is NO WAY a "higher being" could exist. Atheism wasn't created to hail science, and praise to heaven, it was created exactly for stating religion is bollocks.

So uhhh... As I said, you appear to be saying Atheism is a misconception? I mean, which is a fair point of view.
Or am I completely misunderstanding?

Dec 9, 2009
I don't mind atheism as I believe everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. There's nothing wrong if you simply do not believe in any higher being or force at work. That's not what bugs me. What bugs me is not being 'combatant with the concept of god and religion' but rather using science to try and explain it away. You can't use science to explain religion in any way. At least not on a base level. What with science being the study of the natural world and what with higher being not really existing within the natural world. That's the way I see it at least.

solemnwar

Sep 19, 2010
mjc0961 said:
solemnwar said:
On the subject of rape, I'm sick of people acting like women are the only people who get raped and men are the only people who do the raping. Any person of any gender can be a rapist, and any person of any gender can be raped. Stop acting like it's something only women have to deal with, world.
True, but you can't ignore that most cases are males raping females. Personally I think anyone who rapes anyone should be castrated in the most painful way imaginable (you CAN castrate women, but I wouldn't suggest looking it up) but I may be a slightly terrible person that way.

s0denone

Apr 25, 2008
I don't mind atheism as I believe everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. There's nothing wrong if you simply do not believe in any higher being or force at work. That's not what bugs me. What bugs me is not being 'combatant with the concept of god and religion' but rather using science to try and explain it away. You can't use science to explain religion in any way. At least not on a base level. What with science being the study of the natural world and what with higher being not really existing within the natural world. That's the way I see it at least.
I agree completely that some are unable to empathise with others, and go so far in their atheist crusade that they wish to explain(or rather "disprove") God, who is by all means an abstract being that should not be explained, and this is sad. I agree that all should be allowed the belief that they wish, and nobody should ever try and force their personal belief unto others. Keyword being "personal", I think. Hence no reason to try and forcibly change others'.

That doesn't change the fact that I felt like what you were discribing sounded a lot like atheism, and indeed atheism is about explaining/disproving things that religion claim - in fact, as I wrote, and as you obviously know, it is why "atheism" was "founded". Hell, Atheism and science has already made most "normal"(forgive me) religious/sprititual people not even consider a lot of what their particular religion tells them.

Not many Christians will profess to believing the Earth is 4000 years old anymore, for example, or that the Earth was created in 7 days.

I think it is awesome that people have a being (God) they can turn to, in times of great distress and/or depression, and find renewed strength in that.
I am, however, also an Atheist. This does not mean I hate others for believing in God, merely that I do not believe in God myself.

Upon further consideration, and looking at what I JUST wrote, it appears you didn't really describe atheism, or at the very least not the more easy-going, regular kind.

Good day:)

chetoos

Jul 13, 2009
Ivan Hernandez said:
That these guys are dinosaurs:

http://milesandhisfavorites.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/pteranodon21.jpg
http://www.oceansofkansas.com/Varner/varner01.jpg
http://extraordinaryintelligence.com/files/2009/08/Plesiosaur.jpg

FYI: They're not, dinosaurs.
I actually got into a long conversation with some College kids about that same subject when I was younger than 7 I believe. I was quite the little "expert" on dinosaurs at that point in time. A college professor who talked to me said it was like discussing with a colleague. The students even asked me to take a test for them, which I think was about 37% percent serious

kmyalxe11

Mar 20, 2010
H31neken said:
Ice Azure said:
That us people who live in Hawaii all live in grass shacks on the beach, don't wear clothes, and have no electricity. We're civilized like you people in the mainland, dumbasses...

And yes, I've actually had someone ask me that before.
But... why wouldn't you?
Not permanently, obviously, but living like that for a few weeks at a time sounds pretty awesome, given the fact that your climate is nothing short of awesome. Unlike the climate here where we get FOUR SODDING MONTHS OF WINTER with a crapload of snow, and temperatures that range from a mild -2C or so to -30C.
Only four months of winter? That sounds pretty nice compared to the 6-8 months that occur where I live.

SadakoMoose

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2009
Large equals strong
This is image was basically created by movies and TV. Strength is more than just being big.
It's a combination of myofibillar development, nervous system responsiveness, healthy cartilage, and good strong bones among other things.
Looks at this guy:

This is a common misconception among women:
"If I work out any other way than what personal trainers/ladies magazines tell me to, I'll look like an ugly body builder."
That too, is a bunch of garbage, created by the fitness industry to sell useless crap.
It treats women like they're inherently weaker, and would only ever work out for appearance's sake.
Look at this girl:
Does she look like a freak to you? I hope not.
This idea that's pushed on women rarely does any good.
Weak crunches, that only ever hurt your back.
Mindless trinkets, fashion accessories, and plastic contraptions that waste your money.
Programs that do only to dispirit and discourage.
That god damned shake weight...

A few others:
"High culture/low culture"
I believe in neither.
While Taste is certainly a concern, as is quality, I don't see personal preferences in entertainment as a judge of intelligence or a way of separating "classes".

People are getting dumber:
No, no they are not.
The global literacy rate is consistently higher than it used to be.
Sure, every country is going through hiccups with it's educational system right now, but this is only temporary as we move toward the next stage in the evolution of pedagogy.
The world and humanity has only one place to go, and that's up!

Social Darwinism:
This is not a legitimate part of evolutionary theory. It is the bastard child of the theory, propagated by eugenicists and jackasses in the philosophy department.
That is NOT what was meant by "survival of the fittest".
The idea that we need to start removing the goddamn warning labels from things in order to bring up "intelligence levels" is completely mental.
Remember kids, every time you say something in favor of social Darwinism or eugenics, you're agreeing with Ned Holnes...

mrmostlymittens

Jul 1, 2010
The misconception that shows like 'Jersey Shore', 'The Real Housewives of New Jersey', and 'Jerseylicious' are accurate representations of what people from New Jersey are like. I'm from New Jersey. Those shows sicken me.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Space travel in movies in general. I think I have never seen any sci-fi movie where they not had their thrusters on at all time for example.

Da Orky Man said:
That humans lose 90% of their heat through their heads. No, more like 15%. The study that said 90% was done by immersing people in freezing water, and measuring heat loss. Well, the brain has to keep running, so of course it's going to lose a hell of a lot of heat. Across the rest of the body, blood flows change to keep your internal organs as warm as possibly.
Actually, it was a US Army (or so) test for their winter clothes. For some reason they didn't think about giving them hats when they sent them into the freezing test chamber so naturally people lost most heat through their unprotected heads.

The-Epicly-Named-Man said:
Britain consists of England, Scotland, Whales and (debate-ably) Northern Ireland.
But... that's really not debateable. Britain consists of England, Scotland and Wales, Great Britain consists of the aforementioned plus Northern Ireland.
Also, it's technically only called the Union Jack if it hangs from a ship's mast. Not that you mentioned it, I just thought I could add that to my post of mild-annoyances.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
I hate the assumption that people have that they are my equals.
Seriously though, not many. I don't hate the views that people have which are ignorant, I tend to hate the people for being ignorant and having them.

Smurf McSmurfington

Jun 24, 2010
kmyalxe11 said:
Only four months of winter? That sounds pretty nice compared to the 6-8 months that occur where I live.
Malyc said:
Only 4 months? Where you live, Spain? Where i come from, we only have about 4 months of summer...
Estonia, actually, and 4 months is a sodding long time, a whole quarter of a year, in fact. Also, don't you have spring? It lasts for one or two months here, winter actually lasts 4-5 months. Summer lasts for about two or three. Fall lasts for like three months at best, September and October generally aren't bad, weather-wise, but November just flat out sucks, cold and rainy.
Winters used to be quite mild here, like a few weeks of snow and slush(usually somewhere in December or January) and/or rain for the most part, never thought I'd actually start missing THAT weather.
Now we get ridiculous amounts of snow from late November/early December 'til March or so, and the white fecal matter(otherwise known as snow) doesn't start melting 'til April, when it gets warm. Most of it usually melts by the end of April.
The -20 to -30C temperatures don't help either... urgh. Perhaps it wouldn't seem as bad if I drove a car, but considering how much owning and using one would cost, it just isn't worth it.
Insurance + petrol costs a fair amount here in Europe. AFAIK fuel there in the US is cheap as chips, like 1 dollar or so per liter(correct me if I am mistaken). It's 1,25 eur here, and generally somewhere between 1,4 and 1,6eur per liter elsewhere in Europe. Not to mention the insurance...
In any case, I live in the capitol, so public transport is perfectly useable, just the walks outside tend to be horrible. Not to mention the gray sky when it isn't dark and the fact that night lasts far longer than daytime.
Getting even more winter than we do here really must suck, though... my condolences.
Bollocks, went on rambling again, sorry.
OT: That introversion is a mental disease. It isn't.

Silvertongue

Jul 2, 2008
Ugh...where to BEGIN?

The fact everyone thinks that anyone who wears all black is "goth" and the the Columbine shooters were "goth"

The fact people believe metal is all just mindless growling or screaming with super aggressive instrumentation

The list could go on forever. As it stands I'm going to try to stop here to maintain control of my blood pressure.

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
The idea that 'organic' food is more somehow more healthy or environmentally friendly to produce in than regular food.