Misused Terms You're Sick of Seeing

Ronald Nand

Jan 6, 2013
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
I understand the point, and yes it is a huge part of a rape culture, but the biggest part of rape culture is that rape is a socially acceptable thing. The problem we get into with part of victim blaming in western culture is women(and sometimes men, but far less often) occasionally accuse an innocent person, usually for petty personal reasons, or to grab attention. That in turn damages any legitimate rape claim any real victim has, thus giving alleged rapists the benefit of the doubt more, even when they're guilty as sin. Then with a prominent person, personal feelings for those people actually amplify that benefit of the doubt mentality, sometimes to the point of dismissing damning evidence. Then there is the side note of false rape allegations ruining people's lives on so many levels, even if they get acquitted. We have a system of innocent until proven guilty, and I wish we'd apply it to the court of public opinion more, so that actual justice can be served.

Also on the captcha note. For me it's been strangely accurate to the topics I post, funnily enough in kind of a judgemental way. Stop judging me captcha!
That's the problem with the justice system, if we go with the 'guilty until proven innocent' approach and take every claim as 100% true some innocent people will be punished but if we go with the 'innocent until proven guilty' approach and doubt claims some perpetrators will go free. What situation you'd prefer depends on how you interpret justice.

I don't know what happened but it was the first time I couldn't solve a captcha, the letters were so distorted I doubt most humans could read them, the audio captcha was horrible too the sound quality was awful and so fast I couldn't catch more than a few letters

Lil devils x said:
Judges still do blame victims all the time, not all cases even make the news such as this one did due to the judge outright making comments about it.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/08/28/teacher-rape-montana/2722817/

Once you get past most rapes not being reported you also have most rapes reported are not even prosecuted. Police often do not even bother to have the rape kits tested. People file reports then nothing happens, or even worse they attempt to blame a child for being molested? YIKES. Usually these things only make news when the victim being blamed is young, they go to the press, or the Judge puts their foot in their mouth.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2015/03/16/danielle_hicks_best_says_she_was_raped_when_she_was_11_but_cops_say_all.html
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-judge-recuses-herself-after-doubting-rape-victim/
http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/09/25/3572263/pennsylvania-blame-rape-victim/
Western Society doesn't cleanly fit in the rape definition culture, when most of society does consider rape a horrible thing, it fails to meet the requirement of widespread occurrences of rape and the act of rape being normalised and trivialised.

However it clearly has issues when Judges and authorities are silencing and blaming victims, on numerous occasions so many times. We could do with a 'bridging word' that's somewhere between no-rape culture and rape culture, like how the word 'sexist' is the bridge between not being sexist and being a misogynist.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Sexist, misogynistic, racist, unfortunate, transphobic, homophobic, all of those should be pretty big accusations, and yet so many people use it to attack things they don?t like.

I?m also not that big a fan of sjw, I get what people mean but it feels like a straw man, I prefer to use the word extremists.

tm96

Feb 1, 2014
I'm sort of sick of seeing the word ethics being thrown around willy nilly on the internet recently mainly because its used to describe something someone finds unethical but in actuality isn't close to being that. You want an example of unethical behaviour I suggest looking at the phone hacking scandal that sunk the News of the World tabloid newspaper. Its a rather extreme example but I'm only using it to illustrate a point.

Free speech. You can say what you want but that free speech comes with few asterisks next to it and I don't have to listen to you. The only people who can take it away therefore censoring you are those in position of power i.e. government not privately owned websites and subforums. You are in their house either follow their rules or get the boot.

Cinematic. Calling 30fps more cinematic does not make your game better.

SJW. Oh you know why.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
tm96 said:
SJW. Oh you know why.
Regarding SJW's.

I propose we rename them ASB's. Asocial Bullies. Because it was people claiming to be SJW's who fucking bullied prof. Matt Taylor in the #shirtstorm, and they fit the bill of an ASB (could be pronounced Asp, like the poisonous snake).

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
tm96 said:
Nor does it make any sense. Nor is it correct, really, but that stems from not making any sense.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
DoPo said:
tm96 said:
Nor does it make any sense. Nor is it correct, really, but that stems from not making any sense.
Well some people like 30fps more than a higher frame rate, even in games, so I can understand how it's a subjective concept on a personal level. But when the publisher forces a 30fps cap it's usually because of hardware limitations, or poor optimization. Usually because they forced the developer to release a game before the had the chance to perform sufficient quality assurance. Then publishers go ahead pull a dick move and call it cinematic as a shallow and cynical attempt to move more titles, you know, because consumers are stupid apparently.

I'll second cinematic in a different content too. A game that is basically a series of cut-scenes, and little else. If you wanted to make a cinematic experience, then why didn't you just make a movie, or series of some sort?

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
People who use the words "basically" or "literally" wrong and too often.

The former is especially common over here in the UK. It's even worse because a British accent renders those two words as "basiclee" and "lichirahle" or something similar and that's super fucking grating, even if you do have an accent yourself.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Someone Depressing said:
People who use the words "basically" or "literally" wrong and too often.

The former is especially common over here in the UK.
Just to clarify.

"Basically", means "on a fundamental level, discounting any detail".

"Literally", means "I'm saying I will pull my hair off, and when you see me tomorrow I'll be bald, because I did pull it out, root and all".

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
People using "literally" as a synonym for "really" or "a lot". It's maddening, and English isn't even my first language.
Literally used to mean "hyperbolically" is in the dictionary now. As English doesn't have a language board like French or Spanish do, doctrine of usage is about the only way to go with it. If enough people use a word in the same incorrect way for enough time, it becomes a correct way to use it. Although, I can see where literally's new uses are annoying. Having the same word mean "actually", "hyperbolically", and "emphatically" does needlessly complicate an already overly complex language.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
DoPo said:
tm96 said:
Well some people like 30fps more than a higher frame rate
Which is in no shape or form "cinematic". The word means "like a movie" or at least "relating to movies". Preferring something doesn't make it more like a movie. Similar to how preferring automatic or manual in cars doesn't make your choice "cinematic".

Now, at most one can claim that 30 FPS, when compared to anything higher, is closer to the 24 FPS that movies usually have but...that's not what defines a movie, either. Such a claim is utterly meaningless. Going back to cars, again, it'd be like saying a bicycle is more "automotive" than a wheelbarrow, since it has more wheels. Same thing with a. A tricycle would be even more automotive and then a baby stroller or a scateboard would be more automotive than any of the previous vehicles.

But when the publisher forces a 30fps cap it's usually because of hardware limitations, or poor optimization. Usually because they forced the developer to release a game before the had the chance to perform sufficient quality assurance. Then publishers go ahead pull a dick move and call it cinematic as a shallow and cynical attempt to move more titles, you know, because consumers are stupid apparently.
Exactly. If I get a carrot, paint it purple, and then say "it makes it more fruity" when selling it, won't people rightfully scoff at the claim? It makes as much sense at "it's more cinematic".

I'll second cinematic in a different content too. A game that is basically a series of cut-scenes, and little else. If you wanted to make a cinematic experience, then why didn't you just make a movie, or series of some sort?
Actually, come to thing of it, the cutscenes are literally also called "cinematics". The two are synonyms in the context of video games. So, actually, "a more cinematic game" would mean "it contains more cutscenes". Again, literally, that's what it would mean. Huh, never actually thought of that.

Ronald Nand

Jan 6, 2013
DoPo said:
tm96 said:
I hate this term, when its in the context of gaming, not only as an excuse for 30 fps but its just plain wrong. Games are interactive, movies aren't, we shouldn't ever try to ape movies, most of the time 'cinematic' is used to justify streamlining and quick time riddled 'slow time events.'

tm96

Feb 1, 2014
MrFalconfly said:
tm96 said:
SJW. Oh you know why.
Regarding SJW's.

I propose we rename them ASB's. Asocial Bullies. Because it was people claiming to be SJW's who fucking bullied prof. Matt Taylor in the #shirtstorm, and they fit the bill of an ASB (could be pronounced Asp, like the poisonous snake).
I just call them asshats or just idiots. That shirt was bad decision and looks hideous. Nothing more nothing less.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
tm96 said:
MrFalconfly said:
tm96 said:
SJW. Oh you know why.
Regarding SJW's.

I just call them asshats or just idiots. That shirt was bad decision and looks hideous. Nothing more nothing less.
How about we just call them bullies.

Quacks like a duck
Looks like a duck
smells like a duck
tastes like a duck
most likely is a duck

Those bullies showed the same behavioural patterns as the bullies that made grades 3-9 hell for me when I was in school.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
2012 Wont Happen said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
People using "literally" as a synonym for "really" or "a lot". It's maddening, and English isn't even my first language.
Literally used to mean "hyperbolically" is in the dictionary now. As English doesn't have a language board like French or Spanish do, doctrine of usage is about the only way to go with it. If enough people use a word in the same incorrect way for enough time, it becomes a correct way to use it. Although, I can see where literally's new uses are annoying. Having the same word mean "actually", "hyperbolically", and "emphatically" does needlessly complicate an already overly complex language.
I simply refuse to adhere to this "If you can't beat them, join them" policy in language.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
San Martin said:
People saying 'SJW' and 'feminazi'. There is no situation in which you should say those words. Stop.
What about if i'm talking about Irma Grese, Maria Mandel, or Herta Bothe?

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
Chemicals: I am going to drink a glass of pure chemicals, and not die! I am going to drink water.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Does anybody else feel it's wrong for super duper hard games like Ghosts n Goblins or Dark Souls to be called "Masochistic?" Masochism is deriving pleasure (sexual or otherwise, but mostly sexual) from pain, failure, mistreatment, etc, but from what I understand, The fun in Dark Souls isn't dying over and over, but finally overcoming that tough challenge boss or whatever. Shouldn't a game only be called masochistic if there is a distinct pleasurable feeling in losing? If you're getting frustrated and going full rage mode, can you really say you're being pleasured?