MMOG Makers Say "No Game Will Topple WoW"

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
Amnestic said:
Punisher A.J. said:
I found it boring........ damn you lv 50 dead zone!
45-55 is undoubtedly the worst part of levelling for me.
Well, leveling through there is actually preposterously easy if you use the refer-a-friend program. I went from 42 to 52 in a single day, then reached 59 the next. Triple XP is incredibly awesome.

DoctorObviously

May 22, 2009
I agree, it will still take a good while before WoW gets toppled, and I'm slightly longing for that moment, so that other developers can take a shot at the MMOG genre.

Feb 13, 2008
Image seems to be broke Andy.

But, the bigger they are...

Something will come along that will kick WoW's legs from under it. It just needs the right appeal.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Image seems to be broke Andy.
S'working on my end, if that helps any.

UltimatheChosen said:
Well, leveling through there is actually preposterously easy if you use the refer-a-friend program. I went from 42 to 52 in a single day, then reached 59 the next. Triple XP is incredibly awesome.
Bah. Piddle to your 'Refer a friend' malarky. Back in my day, back when Dire Maul and Maraudon didn't exist, when if you could heal you were a healer, when if you were a warrior, you were a tank, when your warlocks had to trade out individual healthstones to everyone and mages had to spend 20+ minutes before raids conjuring enough food and water for everyone, when you only brought druids to cast Innervate on priests and Battle Res on the idiots who got themselves killed, when a Paladin had to individually bless 40 raiders with 5 minute blessings meaning that by the time they finished, they had 30 seconds rest and had to start over again and woe betide you if you misclick and give someone the wrong blessing....

...and when Lacerate was the hunter 31 point survival talent doing 77 damage over 21 seconds and when Blessing of Kings was the 31 point Retribution talent, meaning that even though you had a ret pally in the raid for blessings they were still healing.

And when you had specific Priest Racials like Devouring Plague, Hex of Weakness and Fear Ward, the latter causing unending bitching from the Horde side...

Back in my day, levelling sucked. Thank Haruhi for reduced XP requirements, heirlooms and refer-a-friend.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Hmm i can agree here even thought having never played an MMOG but have seen others play them. This is all from observation however

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Amnestic said:
Why is that Goblin in Tier 5? Cool picture though.

I've been saying that for ages. Guess people pay more attention when you're actually in the industry.

Punisher A.J. said:
I found it boring........ damn you lv 50 dead zone!
45-55 is undoubtedly the worst part of levelling for me.
I didn't find it worse than 30-40 and the endless trips through Stranglethorn.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Finally, developers acknowledging that trying to steal from a juggernaut will get them nowhere and in fact trying to make an MMO with an identity of its own is the best way to hope that it will be a minor success and possibly grow into something bigger.

DkLnBr

Apr 2, 2009
The only thing I see hurting WOW is if it gets even bigger. Then it will have to divide up or sell things like Microsoft did because its encroaching "monopoly" territory. Even so, that wont topple it, just make it take a few steps backwards.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Makes sense, at least Cryptic is being blatantly honest :)

I love their niche games, why try and make a fantasy?

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
Abedeus said:
The MMO that beats WoW must be easier, a lot easier to play.

Agreed, I tried playing WoW once, I failed at making a character that worked, by level 20 he'd completely fallen apart (in terms of efficiency, but also physically considering the amount of time I'd died because of this.)

King Kupofried

Jan 19, 2010
It's good seeing MMORPGs that seem to have more objectives than "Like WoW but.." or in some cases just "Like WoW.". After literally walking in on my friend playing Aion and thinking they were playing WoW for a short bit it's started to seem out of hand.
They don't really seem to realize that people who play MMORPGs don't usually work quite the same as lot of other games. There is very little thinking like
"You liked Devil May Cry? Well then you should enjoy Bayonetta as well."
Instead it works something more like
"You enjoyed WoW? Well then you should enjoy Warhammer Online as well! What? No? You're gonna play WoW a few more years then?"
If anything they'll switch over and have a 50/50 chance of just bouncing right back anyway when they realize they have to start from level one again rather than just continue from what they have on WoW already.
I don't see WoW as being beaten by any one game any time soon, rather the collective fan base will probably be thinned out by more niche titles like Star Wars and Star Trek and then the next Huge MMO will come. I am not worried either way though, there are still alot of very good MMOs out there besides WoW with a decent fanbase.

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
They said the same thing about Everquest until WoW came out. Something will eventually knock WoW off it's perch, it always happens.

Abedeus said:
The MMO that beats WoW must be easier, a lot easier to play.
WoW is already too easy to play, how do you dumb it down even more? One hit kills on everything from level 1 (wait, Freerealms is doing that, AND it's free.)

Ricotez

Jan 17, 2010
Oh, WoW will topple over eventually. I really can't say when, though. After expanding the game vertically for too much (lvl 120 or something), they'll probably just start adding more horizontal content (more dungeons and the likes). I mean, that works just fine in Guild Wars.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
Of course if they try to mimic WOW, they doom their games to faillure.

Some game will tople WOW, eventually (likely to be world of Starcraft or something), but right now its the big giant behemoth, with the infrastructure to be the big behemoth and others try to imitate it without sucess so they need to change and make some innovations and new ways to play to get a spot for themselves.

Why is it successfull, i dont know, but i guess that grinding endlessly is an appeal for many people, with the constant yet unreachable (takes a while if doable) goal of increasing one's power to the max.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Something will come along that will kick WoW's legs from under it. It just needs the right appeal.
The trouble is, "the right appeal" seems to be what WoW already has. Other MMOs these days generally pattern themselves off of it, which is understandable, since it seems to have found the formula that works.

Nothing will topple WoW, it will have to die off by itself, and then something can arise to take it's place, just as WoW itself took advantage of the fact that Everquest was already dead inside.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I'm just waiting on a lawsuit against Blizzard for ripping off gameworkshop and others such as Starship Troopers.

OT: We'll see

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
So does that mean we're done with all these WoW-killers?
More people would buy their games if they lowered the monthly subscription fee.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
What's this an article about WoW not written by Mr.Funk. I'll have to add this to my list of "signs of the apocalypse".