MMOG Makers Say "No Game Will Topple WoW"

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
I want to say it's because their not trying hard enough, that and they keep trying to emulate the same gameplay TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT maybe try ripping off a Free to Play MMO? they seem to do well without subscriptions

snow

Jan 14, 2010
WoW will never be beat due to the fact that it is the first mmo that was done right.

Anything after that will either be nit-picked for being different, or will be knocked off as a WoW wannabe in the eyes of mmo players. Finding that comfortable gray area between those 2 factors will not only be very hard for developers, but won't sell as well as WoW because of the fact that Blizzard got it right really early in the life of the child that is MMORPGs.

Millions of people play WoW.. Not because those millions of people were huge fans of Warcraft before it went MMO, but because of the simple fact that it plays well for an mmo.

Back when I tackled that beast, (Before it sold out with it's 500 expansions) I've only met a chosen few that have actually played any of the Warcraft RTS games, and they just happened to be roleplayers.

Changing the style to fit a new mmo won't sit well for mmo players because it doesn't feel like WoW, and thus won't sell well. Prime example is Age of Conan's combat system... Hated by WoW players because they've grown accustomed to pressing one button to initiate a skill or spell.

Using up to date graphics won't work because although they are up to date with technology, it's safe to say that 90% of gamers aren't.. Thus the game won't sell well because in current times of recession and constant job-finding.. We won't have the money or time to update our rigs to even remotely get the game running passed that little updater screen.

Prime example is the upcoming Star Wars MMO... It sounds like it has a new innovative way of playing an MMO but will most likely fail to surpass WoW due to the fact that WoW was capable of being played on a computer I used to have that I had bought back in 95...

Making an MMO that is playable on older computers and resembles WoWs' style may be their best bet, but again still falls under the fact that WoW came first and thus anything remotely similar will be pawned off as a Wannabe in the eyes of WoW fans or any MMO player that's aware that WoW exists.

It's not that WoW is the MMO that beats all MMO's because it's the best MMO in the history of MMO's... It's that Blizzard got it right extremely early in the race and now every other developer has to live up to its name...

Edit:

If any MMO had a standing chance against WoW's superiority.. I would have to say it would have been Star Wars Galaxies, but alas, Sony fucked that up royally when they decided to blow off their loyal customers to try to bring in a new fan base that they didn't need... This is a prime example of why Developers shouldn't cave into people who complain that shit's too hard in the forums.

Foxbat Flyer

Jul 9, 2009
Think of sims, it was big and seemed like it wouldnt loose popularity, but i feel it isnt as popular now as what it was. WoW will topple, its just a matter of time...

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
"World of Warcraft has captured the entire monthly subscription market," said Jack Emmert, COO at Star Trek Online developer Cryptic Studios. "There's little room for other games to succeed in that environment. To compound it, companies try to replicate WoW's gameplay. That's silly. If someone wants WoW, they'll play WoW."
Really, Jack? If replicating WoW's gameplay is so silly then WHY DID YOU DO IT IN CHAMPIONS ONLINE!?

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I still think Star Wars has a legitimate chance to dethrone WoW, or at least give it a good fight. It has the same remarkable power that WoW had when it was first released, the power to attract my interest.

You see I never really liked the idea behind MMO's, but I did love Warcraft's World and Blizzards Art Design, so I decided to give WoW a shot. I liked it... for a time, but I got sick of it.

Now however Star Wars, with its Star Warseyness and cool looking art has a chance to drag me back, kicking and screaming once again.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
By the time WoW came out, EQ had already came and went. It's been dying slowly, but it's dying. At least it makes money.

WoW is the tragic result of the new Blizzard.

snowfox said:
WoW will never be beat due to the fact that it is the first mmo that was done right.
Err...

What?

There's nothing in WoW that is new. At all. There are other MMO's that did the exact same things, down to the letter, that WoW did and were released earlier.

The only thing WoW did right was marketing.

robinkom said:
Really, Jack? If replicating WoW's gameplay is so silly then WHY DID YOU DO IT IN CHAMPIONS ONLINE!?
This is another Err... What? comment.

WoW took their gameplay directly from past MMO's to the letter. No, not even the character speccing was new.

Champions Online did what MMO's do, and have done, for about 10 years now. The core gameplay has not changed a lick. They didn't copy WoW, they used the same formula.

What you said was essentially saying "HALO COPIED QUAKE!"

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
People assume that the WoW phenomenon is something like a sudden Big Bang. It's not. You can NEVER make a WoW killer because WoW is based on 10+ years (15+ if you count the years of WoW) of company reputation and a solid happy player base that was built up as a direct result of Blizzard's attention to their fans.

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
Credge said:
robinkom said:
This is another Err... What? comment.

WoW took their gameplay directly from past MMO's to the letter. No, not even the character speccing was new.

Champions Online did what MMO's do, and have done, for about 10 years now. The core gameplay has not changed a lick. They didn't copy WoW, they used the same formula.

What you said was essentially saying "HALO COPIED QUAKE!"
Let me clarify. I'm a City of Heroes subscriber, a game Cryptic made that was headed by Jack Emmert. Currently, City of Heroes is owned wholly by NC Soft and Cryptic parted ways, Jack-O included. We are much more happy without him. He is a point of disgust within our community for many as he was directly responsible for all of our game-crippling nerfs, overly-tedious & boring content, and most unnecessarily large and inconvenient zones.

He also suffers from a little Peter Molyneux-itis in that, at the beginning, he had a grand vision for a game. In the alpha stages of development, it began to form. In the beta stages, it crumbled when he realized it wouldn't work as an MMO. Then the game was delayed for 2 years.

Under NC Soft's full backing and a much larger team of devs, the game as evolved to something pretty great nowadays. It's somewhat ironic that his vision-esque piece of shit transformed into a now fantastic & unique game while his next superhero-MMO follow-up simply tried to "play it safe" and copy the EQ/WoW formula to a tee. Bottom line is, it doesn't add to his or Cryptic's credibility to produce such a game and then he goes and makes a comment like that.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
Personally, I liked my experience with Lord of the Rings online better than WoW, although I don't play either one anymore because the grinding got boring - in both cases around the time that I got my mount.

I'm sure a WoW killer is on the horizon because everything comes to an end some time and there can always be something better. It'll be something with a completely different appeal that none of us will see coming.

Mr Thomsos

Jun 17, 2009
I am thinking WoW will go the way that Titanic did. Wow's James Cameron will create something bigger and better. I suppose this supports the WoW 2 theories.

Mr Thomsos

Jun 17, 2009
Foxbat Flyer said:
Think of sims, it was big and seemed like it wouldnt loose popularity, but i feel it isnt as popular now as what it was. WoW will topple, its just a matter of time...
Sorry to correct you, but Sims was the top selling game this year!

Zeroresistence

Nov 3, 2009
At this point nothing can stop them people continue to play it and it is addicting to play
i too have fallen victim to it

Foxbat Flyer

Jul 9, 2009
Mr Thomsos said:
Foxbat Flyer said:
Sorry to correct you, but Sims was the top selling game this year!
Really? I stand corrected. Everyone i know who used to play it, gave it up. Well, looks like WoW will be ongoing Forever. FOREVER!!!

dasUnbekannte

Dec 17, 2009
Toppling WoW is a bit of a catch-22. If you make it too unfamiliar, players get confused, so make it familiar. WoW is familiar, but you must make the interface familiar without making it WoW (because otherwise you're a copycat).

To the people saying they should make MMOs easier: Easier is a bad idea. (And might I add that WoW's already pretty easy?) It loses the player's attention. The only reason Farmville keeps people's attention is because it's free.

CUnk

Oct 24, 2008
robinkom said:
"World of Warcraft has captured the entire monthly subscription market," said Jack Emmert, COO at Star Trek Online developer Cryptic Studios. "There's little room for other games to succeed in that environment. To compound it, companies try to replicate WoW's gameplay. That's silly. If someone wants WoW, they'll play WoW."
Plus the new Star Trek game is exceedingly dull and takes no risks. I've never played WoW but it pretty much lines up with what I've always imagined WoW to be like. MMOs should strive to be more than a level grind.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Abedeus said:
The MMO that beats WoW must be easier, a lot easier to play.
Yes, lets get an MMO where you don't have to do anything. That'll be the wow-killer![/saracasm]