MMOG Makers Say "No Game Will Topple WoW"

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Amnestic said:
Not exactly how Activision factor into your posts though.
Probably because every time Kotick opens his mouth he acts like he owns Blizzard. Someone needs to give him(Kotick) a dictionary and look up the word "merger" as well as the words "owned by Vivendi, you are."

dead_rebel

Jan 13, 2010
Is anyone else out there waiting with anxious, bated breath as to news on the World of Darkness MMO being developed by the makers of EVE:Online? You know, World of Darkness, the pen/paper rpg about Vampires (of the non-sparkly non-emo variety), Werewolves and Mages. Vampire: The Masquerade (a highly underrated game imo) is set in that universe.

Some have said the release date is this year, I hope not cause they'll need more time to announce and inform people to get going.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
blue_guy said:
WoW is pretty much impossible to play if you don't have 7+ hours a day to play. You level way too slowly and all the "new content" is put in for the level 60+ players.

All an MMO needs to do to beat WoW is start you of with all the features, not making you level for months to get a friggin' horse. Then all the people like me that just couldn't be bothered with grinding will flock in.
Uh...

I play WoW 6 hours a week, total. If that. I've been clearing ICC just fine. You can get a mount in like... a day and a half of play, TOPS. If you think that there's actual 'grinding' in WoW, then you've never seen a game where you've had to grind.

Credge said:
snowfox said:
WoW will never be beat due to the fact that it is the first mmo that was done right.
Err...

What?

There's nothing in WoW that is new. At all. There are other MMO's that did the exact same things, down to the letter, that WoW did and were released earlier.

The only thing WoW did right was marketing.
Read his post again. He didn't say that it was a NEW MMO, he said that it was done *right* - which is completely true. While it's true that of the design elements found in WoW, many if not most had been found in other games beforehand, Blizzard cherrypicked what worked and what didn't to make an MMO without a lot of the problems that plagued the genre in the past. It was polished, it was cohesive, it showed the value of accessibility and having a questable game all the way from level 1 to the level cap (with no 'hell levels' where you had to sit down and grind). You can certainly say it did nothing new, and you're well within your rights to dislike the game, but to say that the only thing WoW did right was marketing is to display a gross ignorance of the game and the MMO genre as a whole.

Jun 11, 2008
pantsoffdanceoff said:
Glademaster said:
What happened to no mention of GW2 if any MMO will topple WoW it will be that. As GW and WoW are the 2 biggests MMOs of their type out there.
Well yeah GW2 would stand a chance, but it's got a development track copied right out of the 3d realms textbook. I doubt it will even come out this year even though the beta was supposedly for summer of 2008.
YE but what I think is happening is beta at the end of this year then next as I always thought it was for 2012ish myself taken actual developing time into account.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
blue_guy said:
John Funk said:
blue_guy said:
WoW is pretty much impossible to play if you don't have 7+ hours a day to play. You level way too slowly and all the "new content" is put in for the level 60+ players.

All an MMO needs to do to beat WoW is start you of with all the features, not making you level for months to get a friggin' horse. Then all the people like me that just couldn't be bothered with grinding will flock in.
Uh...

I play WoW 6 hours a week, total. If that. I've been clearing ICC just fine. You can get a mount in like... a day and a half of play, TOPS. If you think that there's actual 'grinding' in WoW, then you've never seen a game where you've had to grind.
36 hours? That's quite a long time, plus the first time MMOers aren't anywhere near efficient enough to level that fast.
No, I meant literally two nights of play. Getting to 20 is caaaaaaake.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
blue_guy said:
John Funk said:
blue_guy said:
John Funk said:
blue_guy said:

Uh...

36 hours? That's quite a long time, plus the first time MMOers aren't anywhere near efficient enough to level that fast.
No, I meant literally two nights of play. Getting to 20 is caaaaaaake.
20? Aren't mounts lvl40?
Not anymore. You get mounts at 20 now, and I think epic mounts at either 40 or 50. Blizzard IS making it easier to get to all of the features.

Raregolddragon

Oct 26, 2008
They said that about

EverQuest
Everquest 2
Runescape

the Rome Empire
The British Empire

It will fall it will fall just give it some time.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Sure MMOG makes say "no game will topple WoW"... after seeing dozens of attempts try and fail. ;)

Of course, I've been saying that for years, and I know the reason why.

By itself, WoW is a very capably constructed game that fishes in casuals all the way up to a hardcore endgame. If you just make your game casually accessible, you're only halfway there: you need an epic hardcore endgame too.

However, while this is a prerequisite, this factor won't bring in millions alone.

WoW's amazing success has a lot more to do with Call of Duty than it does the design: players who have enjoyed Blizzard games time and time again and are looking for more from that company make up the bulk of those who are into WoW. All Blizzard had to do is make the game good enough as to not suffer any obvious flaws, and they had people already lined up and ready to subscribe to it.

Perhaps the reason why they ended up soaking up the entire monthly subscription market has more to do with the bandwagon affect of MMORPGs. MMORPGs run on thriving player populations. If yours is the main one in town, you're likely to attract the majority of players looking for one.

It's encouraging to see Jack Emmert knows that the monthly subscription model is cornered by WoW... introduce F2P options for STO and CO plz. ;)

Obrien Xp

Sep 27, 2009
Sev said:
Sooner or later they will be crushed under their own fame by the lack of coherent storytelling and the continuous bullying and neglecting of new players.
QFT

wow butchered the storytelling that was in warcraft 1, 2, 3. If your new to the game, everything will be years away from achieving, if your account is hacked, your done, there's no reason to start over.

blue_guy said:
*cough* Guild Wars 2 *cough* but now at least its only lvl 20 for a mount in WoW, that shouldn't be too bad.

The key to making a game that will live in the MMO market, is making it with the intent to make a fun game for a large audience, not to bring down an established giant. Another thing to do is to make unique or rarely seen features to make the game more interesting.

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
Someone will be able to dethrone WoW when they figure out how to integrate a 3D MMO experience into Facebook.

I'm going to bookmark this page, btw, so I can say "I told ya so" to everyone when this happens.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Sev said:
Sooner or later they will be crushed under their own fame by the lack of coherent storytelling and the continuous bullying and neglecting of new players.
I think the complete opposite.

New players have never had it so good. A lot was recently changed to make it easier for new players to lean and keep playing.

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
Dark Templar said:
Sev said:
I think the complete opposite.

New players have never had it so good. A lot was recently changed to make it easier for new players to lean and keep playing.
True, they did do their best to make it an excellent solo experience.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Seems like a pretty obvious thing to be saying to me, though I don't fault them for admitting it. Despite Everquest's influence, WoW's pretty much always been the #1 MMO, at least if you're an RPG fan. All we can hope for is that things stay the same, as Blizzard clearly knows what they're doing and how to support their game.

madheals

Feb 4, 2010
John Funk said:
Uh...

I play WoW 6 hours a week, total. If that. I've been clearing ICC just fine.
Six hours/week is unrealistic for a player who clears end-game content. The daily dungeon (which everyone does for the free T10 badges) requires 30-60 minutes, depending on which dungeon you pull and the length of time you spend in the queue. And, unless you're fortunate enough to belong to a loyal, honest, proficient raiding guild--which, in three years, I have yet to find--clearing end-game content like ICC is very time-consuming and often frustrating. It can take several hours just to find a group, let alone a good group that actually knows the fights and can down the bosses. Beyond that, unless you're buying gold or somehow scamming free enchants, gems, and flasks, you have to grind gold, either through farming or daily quests, both of which are time-consuming. A more accurate estimate would be 15 hours/week, although most people play more than that.

Any game that wants to compete with WoW needs to focus on a target demographic. For example, Wizard 101 is basically WoW for the stuffed animal crowd, and it has over 5 million subscribers. I personally would love to see a WoW-killer that caters to women and/or more mature players. It seems like WoW is increasingly dominated by drug-addled teenage boys who like to talk about each other's moms, and that's just not my scene.